Andrea Doria Bell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie

Proud to be a Chaos Muppet
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I saw a note on my facebook page today that the bell from the Andrea Doria is on it's way to the surface suspended under a liftbag. Quite a coup for JS1 and Dave Sutton if true....

Wow.

Amazing that they found it after all these years.

I thought Gary Gentile already got a bell from there?

I thought Gary Gentile already got a bell from there?

According to Michael Barnette's site, that was the stern bell. Gentile is listed as one of the divers involved, but apparently several were.

Treasures of the Andrea Doria

EDIT:
after some further searching..... Ironically... someone already updated WIkipedia with it today.... talk about fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Andrea_Doria

The ship's bell, often considered the 'prize' of a wreck, was retrieved in the late 1980s by a team of divers led by Bill Nagle.[12] The statue of Genoese Admiral Andrea Doria, for whom the ship was named, was removed from the first-class lounge, being cut off at the ankles to accomplish this. Examples of the ship's china have long been considered valuable mementos of diving the wreck. However, after years of removal of artifacts by divers, little of value is thought to remain. On June 26, 2010, Carl Bayer and Ernie Rookey of NJ recovered the ship's forward bell. Previous bells recovered were the stern and auxiliary bells.

This morning, June 26, 2010 a sport diving expedition aboard the RV Explorer out of Stone Cove Marine, Wakefield, RI to the wreck of the luxury Liner SS Andrea Doria recovered the bow bell. It is thought by Gary Gentile that this bell is the crows nest bell due to where it was located in the sand off of the mast.

The Explorer is due back at its dock by 2AM Sunday June 26th, 2010.
Members of the expedition are:

Joel Silverstein – Expedition Leader
Dave Sutton – Captain & Diver
Gary Gentile – Ship Historian
Carl Bayer - Diver
Rick Simon – Mate & Diver
Chris Gini – Diver
Ernest Rokey - Diver
Laila Richard – Diver
There are two other divers who I don't have the names of yet.

The bell was recovered by Carl Bayer and Ernest Rokey.

Sources, please? Would love to read this for myself.

Peace,
Greg

The sources are above. This is going on in real time, the boat with the bell will not dock till about 2 AM EDT. A number of newspapers and TV News groups have been contacted, so with some luck there may be somthing in print tomorrow.

The sources are above. This is going on in real time, the boat with the bell will not dock till about 2 AM EDT. A number of newspapers and TV News groups have been contacted, so with some luck there may be somthing in print tomorrow.

Sweet, I will keep a lookout.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom