Andrea Doria Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised this thread is still alive. It looks like it has morphed several times since I started it. I'm a lot further down the the path to the Doria, but I still have a long way to go. I've completed another 70 or so deep (<185) dives since this thread started. Many were decompression dives on wrecks, but most were warm waters. I'm getting ready for trimix in another few weeks. Looks like another couple of summers until I get to see her. I hope she is still worth the effort. I still have to get up and make some more cold water deco dives. Looking forward to the day, but in much of a hurry.

mempilot:
I'm surprised this thread is still alive. It looks like it has morphed several times since I started it. I'm a lot further down the the path to the Doria, but I still have a long way to go. I've completed another 70 or so deep (<185) dives since this thread started. Many were decompression dives on wrecks, but most were warm waters. I'm getting ready for trimix in another few weeks. Looks like another couple of summers until I get to see her. I hope she is still worth the effort. I still have to get up and make some more cold water deco dives. Looking forward to the day, but in much of a hurry.

I have heard it is really starting to cave in. Havn't heard yet from anyone there this year, but as of last year they were saying how much it detiorated.

For me while most of my dives are deco in 110-130 range in cold water, I don't expect to ever do the Doria. Just not worth the trip (to me).

Boogie711:
Beach - Did you actually read this thread? There are several references to AOW folks "reaching" for the Andrea Doria.

With respect - Take some time. Relax. Go take a DIR-Fundamentals class if you'd like. Work on proper skills and bouyancy. Dive your face off. THEN start to worry about tech instruction.

Thank you.
I got the bouyance down pretty good now. I am down to 6 lbs-8 lbs depending on the tank I use and 14 if I use a thick wetsuit and I just dove 50 dives in the lst 2 months specifically working on that skill, and honing all the opther skills. WE had a a diver safety day and we had several circuit drills on scuba skills and I did almost perfect. I am getting ready to go back to the ocean this weekend. I am headed to St Augustine and I heard that there are wreaks there. I wanted to get instruction while I was down there but I may just skip it until I get more dives maybe.

Bridget

Boogie711:
Beach - Did you actually read this thread? There are several references to AOW folks "reaching" for the Andrea Doria.

With respect - Take some time. Relax. Go take a DIR-Fundamentals class if you'd like. Work on proper skills and bouyancy. Dive your face off. THEN start to worry about tech instruction.

Thank you.
I don't want to be just AOW reaching for this kind of dangerous wreak. I don't want to do something like this dive without a lot of experience and training. It is not worth dying for.
I got the bouyance down pretty good now. I am down to 6 lbs-8 lbs depending on the tank I use and 14 if I use a thick wetsuit and I just dove 50 dives in the lst 2 months specifically working on that skill, and honing all the opther skills. WE had a a diver safety day and we had several circuit drills on scuba skills and I did almost perfect. I am getting ready to go back to the ocean this weekend. I am headed to St Augustine and I heard that there are wreaks there. I wanted to get instruction while I was down there but I may just skip it until I get more dives maybe.

Bridget

the u-who off of New Jersey ,is in about 230/240fsw German u-boat sunk in i think 1944. what are you looking for depth or wreck ,don't just go for depth just to say you did 260. There is a great wreck off Long island called the Oregon in 130fsw it's a steam ship that sank in 1888 is about 500 feet long and produces great artifacts to this day.

I want to do the Oregon. I've read about it in other threads and it seems like a good warmup dive. What about the USS San Diego? Isn't it up that way too?

diverfrank:
the u-who off of New Jersey ,is in about 230/240fsw German u-boat sunk in i think 1944. what are you looking for depth or wreck ,don't just go for depth just to say you did 260. There is a great wreck off Long island call the Oregon in 130fsw it's a steam ship that sank in 1888 is about 500 feet long and produces great artifacts to this day.

Thats correct about 10 miles North west i belivefrom the Oregon .I'm live on Long Island a dive these wrecks often The San Diego is in about 110fsw and is upside down and starting to cave in on its self so it is very scary to penatrate. But it's a pretty wreck lots of marine life and if your lucky you'll see a shark or sea turtle (yes on Long Island) give it a shot the local dive boats are always going to these wrecks LI has thousands of wrecks so give it a shot(good luck and mybe i'll see ya out there)

Thanks for the info Frank. My names Eric. I'll get up that way one of these days.

diverfrank:
the u-who off of New Jersey ,is in about 230/240fsw German u-boat sunk in i think 1944. what are you looking for depth or wreck ,don't just go for depth just to say you did 260. There is a great wreck off Long island called the Oregon in 130fsw it's a steam ship that sank in 1888 is about 500 feet long and produces great artifacts to this day.

I want to do dives in warm water they stay within the no deco limits, for now

mempilot:
I want to do the Oregon. I've read about it in other threads and it seems like a good warmup dive. What about the USS San Diego? Isn't it up that way too?

Oregon is great wreck been there several times this season. This year there have been many artofacts recovered. I was present for the recovery of over 50 bottles (and got a few myself). I have heard that a couple of portholes were just recently recovered. There are still many relics remaining. Many will still require a bit of digging, but they are there. In addition for the food hunters there are many lobsters and fish on this wreck too.

The San Diego as was mentioned is still some what intact, abet deteriorating daily. I was there Memorial Day. A fitting site for that particular day. I only got to cruise down the one side. (didn't do any penitration). And we were tied a little too far foward to make it to the stern.
The stern has been reported to be caving in more and more each week. If the weather holds, supposed to be going there on Sat. If we do it, will post how it was.
Matter of fact, where ever we go, will post how it was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom