Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back. We were out three days, one dive the first day, two the second and one the third. It was great. We moored in the bow section -- 190' to the wreck so all dives were sub 200'. First dive we cruised the main deck past the remains of the wheelhouse to the remains of the promenade deck. The Doria has deteriorated quite a bit. Looks great to me.

Dive number two we penetrated at the crack in the bow into A deck and B deck. Dive No. 3 I filmed our penetration into A deck. There was a ripping current and ..well... the camera man needs some more experience filming in these conditions, but I did get some usable footage. Dive number 4 we did two deeper penetrations off the crack in the bow. We were able to get back into some staterooms, see beds still standing up, blue tile floors and walls, sinks sticking out like some bizzare joke. Our time limits always came too soon.

Kudos to the crew, and captains. There were 9 divers on the boat and 4 crew. A very good group.

Jerry

captain_mrw:
On a lot of boats your money is paying for some "star" divers or some self-proclaimed experts to go for free. I don't like paying for some prima-donna's trip or having to listen to the blow hards for 3 days. Having to wait for the "elite" to dive first doesn't fly very well with me either, especially if I'm paying for their trip. The more expensive boats often have over 20 or 30 divers on board and are the most prone to calling a trip and NOT refunding your money.
There are a couple of boats that are a lot more reasonable and a lot more professional than the expensive ones, and the two that come to mind have the most experience on the Doria. They are Sea Hunter III and the Seeker, of course. Undeniably the two best boats in deep exploration diving.
As for the wreck itself - intoxicating (whether on air or mix). My first dive on her in the 80's off the Sea Hunter III was awesome. 70 feet of viz and no current. At 130 feet I could see at least 140 feet of the wreck lying on her side like she had just arrived. Schools of what seemed like small fish became hundreds of 20 - 40+ pound cod cruising the top of the wreck. I've been back many times and still can't wait to go back again. The big decision should be: drive to Montauk and then cruise 110 miles, or leave from Newport and cruise 85 miles.
If you get the chance and have the right experience - go. At first just go to look, don't get greedy, you will always have time for artifacts once you've learned something of the wreck and how it lies. But you won't ever forget the Andrea Doria.

Captain Mark

Recent report was that she has seriously deteriorated.
These guys went all the way out there, and only got one dive in due to conditions.
I have never done it, and doubt i ever will.

amaze:
you planning on a trip? I would like to go the next season as well. Bill
yeah. if you want any trip info or anything then i would strongly recomend making contact to www.underseaexploration.com
these trips usually fill quick and way way in advance of the trip.
good luck

Ray

Back
Top Bottom