Andros: Dive or snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heatheroe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are going on our 1st trip to Andros in October. We're not certified yet and are debating whether to get certified now and dive in Andros or wait and just snorkel while we're on vacation. We're only there for 4 days. I know Andros is a pretty big dive destination for the Bahamas and just want to know if we'll be cheating ourselves if we only snorkel. Any advice? Thanks!

You realize there is nothing on Andros right? Andros has great Bone Fishing and great diving. No mall, No Starbucks and Resturants being open is hit or miss. Gas was 7.50 a gallon. No rental cars. We rented a car from a local named George for $750 a week. I began bringing my own coffee because the place we always stayed ( The Marina Hotel) only had instant. Where are you staying? I would suggest Little Hope Bay Resort. I think they turn the power off at 11:00, may be wrong about that but that is what I heard.
As far as diving goes, it is some of the best you will find anywhere and you will be sorry you missed it. Andros does not get a lot of wear and tear so the reefs are pristine with lots of life. Lots of fresh water blue holes, (many people don't know that Andros supplies the majority of the fresh water for the rest of the Bahamas.) Get certified before you go. Not unusual to see Tiger Sharks and the occasional Silky. I have seen Eagle Rays in 5 feet of water while snorkleing. You'll have a great time, just rememder if you look up laid back destination in the dictionary, Andros pops up first.

Thanks for the response. We are well versed in the "out island lifestyle" having been to Eleuthera twice and Long Island once. And we prefer it over anything other type of vacation. I actually did my first dive on Long Island. It was a resort dive with Stella Maris. Unbelievable coral and fish. Sounds like we need to get going on the certification.

We're staying at a private home about a mile up the road from Small Hope. We will be diving with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom