Andros or Grand Turk or...? for non-commercial dive vacation in Feb. ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stargazer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trying to figure out where to go for Feb. vacation week - myself (certified), wife (snorkeler) and kid. I'm looking for diverse and interesting sites, not only shallow patch reefs, big critters if possible, and non-cattle boat diving with careful DM's. For rest of family, should be good beaches, snorkeling, boat trips, good food, but no shopping or typical tourist stuff.

Have been thinking of Andros/Small Hope Bay or Grand Turk, both of which seem to be laid back, non-commercial and varied in sites. Any opinions out there ? Any other places worth considering ?

My wife (snorkeler) and I (diver) spend 10 days at Grand Turk and got incredibly bored. I would not recommend it to anyone but hardcore divers, but some of what you seem to be looking for is what we did not like at all. So I'll give you the facts.

Diving is very very good. Parallel to the coast at about 300-1000 ft. runs a gorgeous and massive wall. Excellent vis, great and healthy corals, lot of fish. Boats are small, but that is not an issue because most divesites are between 5 and 10 min's from the dive center. There are 3 good dive centers and they were a pleasure to dive with. For diving Grand Turk is first rate.

Snorkeling is a whole different matter and was extremely disappointing. The only place we found with good snorkeling is a small reef at the far southern tip of the island: about a 25 min. bikeride from Cockburn Town.

Beaches are narrow with nice white sand, but very deserted. The only boat trip I noticed was a snorkeling picnic to Gibbs Cay. They have a miniature "stingray city" here and decent snorkeling too.

There are about 4 small restaurants and while they all had decent food it was definitely not gourmet. The national museum is small but cute.

That is it: there is nothing else to do on the island. One of the hotels had a 3'x3' souvenir shop and that was all the shopping on the island. The island is windblown with little vegetation and not very pretty.

Normally my wife and I like quaint, non-touristy places, but 10 days on Grand Turk for a non-diver is not something I would recommend.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Thanks ScubaRon. How about Provo - is that a better mix for diver + snorkeler/non-diver ? Anywhere else you recommend, since you seem to be in the same boat (so to speak) ?

Small Hope Bay Lodge is a nice place to stay. Tariff includes all food and booze. The evening happy hour (with conch fritters) is fun.

The first dive of each day is to the sheer wall at the "tongue of the ocean. They even conduct one dive ("Over the Wall") to 185 feet. They are very rigid, however, on the deeper dives, insisting that you follow the leader and surface when told, without reference to remaining air or computer profile.

The second dive of each day is a throw-away in 20 to 25 feet, the site selected for proximity to the Lodge in order to get back for lunch on time.

As a part of its marketing plan which seems aimed primarily at weekend getaways, wedding parties, etc., the Lodge offers a free resort scuba course and free snorkeling to any and all Lodge guests. The resort-course divers and snorkelers are taken with you on the same boat for the afternoon dive. Even though they claim that the profile of the afternoon dive is 70 feet, it was actually more like 30 feet. We asked if we could do the afternoon dive at the top of the wall but they refused, apparently fearing that someone might try to go deeper than 70 feet.

Unfortunately, the reef around Andros is blighted with algae and there is not a lot of fish life.

During the week we were there, it seemed that Small Hope Bay Lodge catered primarily to inexperienced and occasional divers. (Every night at dinner they staged a corny presentation ceremony for departing guests, giving each a certificate saying that he or she had gone scuba diving). Perhaps if you went with a group of experienced divers they would treat you differently, but we were disappointed abd ultimately a bit peeved at the overall diving experience.

Stargazer once bubbled...
Thanks ScubaRon. How about Provo - is that a better mix for diver + snorkeler/non-diver ? Anywhere else you recommend, since you seem to be in the same boat (so to speak) ?

I highly recommend Provo for the non-diver/diver mix. The snorkeling is excellent. The shopping is enough to keep my wife busy even though we go every year. The restaurants are out of this world. The diving is fabulous with a very good chance of seeing big stuff (last Feb. best ever: whale, dolphins, sharks, eagle rays, turtles). I would only recommend Caicos Adventures for diving. There are a couple of specials on Travelzoo.com or I also recommend a villa rental if your budget is a little more flexible. Try it, you won't regret it.

Thanks Tim and tvictory for your helpful comments. (Have read your previous postings on T&C, Tim, also very informative). Think I'll look into Provo. My budget probably needs to be under $5K for everything for a week, including dives, meals and lodging for three. Does this work there ? Hoping to use frequent flier miles to get free tickets to wherever in FL you can fly to Provo from (Ft. L ?) Any suggestions on where to stay on Provo where we would feel like people and not tourons ?

We usually stay at the same house:

http://www.nilavacations.com/Top_o_the_hill.htm

I will never stay at a resort again if I can afford not to. There is no comparison.

We shop for groceries the first day and make our own breakfast and lunch. Big money-saver. We usually are out on the town for dinner. I would say you will spend $500.00 on the car; $250.00 on the groceries; $500.00+ on restaurants; $2,500-$3,000.00 on the house (2-3 bedrooms) and $415.00 on diving (1 diver, 10 dives/5days package with Caicos Adventures). You can stay within a $5,000.00 budget if you put your mind to it. Good luck and let me know if I can help. We will be down there 2/14-2/21/04. I'll also be on Grand Turk in January.

Thanks Tim, may run into you on Provo in Feb. if I can pull it off. Appreciate all the info, sounds really great and I'll look forward to it every day as it gets colder and colder here.

Stargazer once bubbled...
I only spend one night on Provo and didn't do any diving there, but from what I have seen topside there is much and much more to for your non-diving family.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Back
Top Bottom