Anilao vs Puerto Galera vs Bohol for 4 days diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regina55

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I am heading to Manila in Feb next year and would like to hear some advice on where to go among Anilao, PG, and Bohol. I am a female solo traveler and have logged 30-40 dives. I like both coral reefs with high visibility and macro - I actually liked most of the places where I have been to in the Philippines (Bohol, Moalboal, and Dumaguete). I did some research on each destination as below but still couldn't decide. Is there anything I am missing or do you have any suggestions for me?

Anilao
- 3-4 hours by a car, high rates for a private transfer, not sure about public transports in the night
- A variety of dive sites, especially known for macro & muck diving
- All about diving. I might be isolated or secluded at a resort in the evening

PG
- 4-5 hours by a car + a boat, same transfer issue as Anilao
- A variety of dive sites, Canyons and Verde Island shouldn't be missed
- Not a good vibe for a female solo traveler (?)

Bohol
- 90mins fly from Manila, P1200 only for round trips if booked now
- Balicasag, Pamilacan are good dive sites
- Good atmosphere, more dining options in Alona beach
- Already have been there 6months ago (it was just 2 days trip though)

FYI My possible itinerary is :
- 27th Feb (midnight) - Arrival & transfer to the destination
- 27th Feb - 1st Mar - Dives for 4 days
- 2nd Mar - Transfer to the airport and flying back

I would probably rule out Bohol because the time required to off-gas prior to your flight will cause you to miss a day of diving. Plus, even if the flight is short, you still need plenty of time to check in, deal with potential traffic around the airport, etc.

PG and Anilao are both great destinations. Anilao is a little easier to get to, perhaps only 2.5 hours by private car if no traffic. The diving in PG is quite good, but is even better in Anilao, particularly for macro, where it is world-class. If you are a serious photographer or love macro, you will like Anilao better. As you already know, Anilao is very quiet at night, but this is not an issue if all you want to do is dive.

The pricing structure in Anilao is more complex, as boat and DM costs are shared by the divers on the boat, so if you are diving solo, and you are the only diver on the boat, it can be more expensive. But if you are sharing the boat with others, it is ok. Also, if your resort has shore diving, you can skip the boat diving all together. There is a resort in Anilao that just charges per dive but I am not familiar with it. I am sure they will chime in here.

So if all you care about is the best diving possible, then go for Anilao. If budget and topside activities are more of a consideration, then maybe you will want to choose PG. In general I would say PG caters more to the fun diver and Anilao caters more to the serious underwater photographer. (Of course this is just a bit of a general trend and not an absolute).

If you have the budget, you can arrange for a resort in Anilao to pick you up at the airport at midnight upon your arrival, and you can be whisked off to your resort in Anilao right away, avoiding daytime traffic hassles, and be diving the next morning. If you are headed to PG, you will have to overnight in Manila and head out to PG the next morning (or possibly overnight in Batangas and catch an early ferry to PG the next morning).

Forget about Bohol as rob 1967 had already explained. You have three choices: Anilao, Puerto Galera and Subic Bay. If you do not like wreck then you can leave out Subic Bay.
Anilao vs PG
Anilao is for macro while PG has more varieties. There are enough old posts on this topic. Seek them out.
Getting to both places around midnight is expensive because you have to use private transfer. If I find myself landed at Manila at midnight and heading towards either Anilao or PG. I will make sure that I am last in the line for the immigration. And if I landed at either T1 or 2, I will get the yellow airport taxi and go to T3 where I can find places to eat or to lie down for a while. Get a taxi around 04:00 to JAM or JAC bus terminal at Buendia. There are plenty of buses departing every 30 mins to Batangas Ferry Terminal(same bus for Anilao). I always use Ceres bus at JAC Terminal and the fare is arund P160.00. Tell the conductor that you want to go to Anilao and you will be dropped off at a huge bus terminal(big open air) after the bus has finally left the Highway. You need to make the connection by jeepney to Anilao. And if you are going to PG then you get off at the ferry terminal and catch the baot. there should be one departing around 07:30.
Alternatively, get a room at City State Tower Hotel and use the Si-Kat transfer to PG at 08:00 in the morning. Buy the ticket at the hotel's lobby. This still cost a lot less than the single private transfer to PG (P6,000.00/US$128.00).
There is always a slight risk for a solo female traveller in anywhere. So if money is no object, get a private transfer but the public transport is pretty safe, well at least for me.

Regina's dilemma is similar to what I experienced last year. Consider Rob's advice about going directly to Anilao. I think the resort is called Buceo Anilao. They don't appear to make you pay for the entire boat. Their ratings on TripAdvisor are very good.

But the Canyons and Verde Island still beckon? For Verde, you may be able to dive it from Anilao. But If you really have your heart set on Puerto Galera, my strong advice is to book a hotel on arrival night/morning in Manila. Crossing the channel in a small boat at night may not be a good idea, and you have no idea what the weather may be like. I would take the Si-Kat bus/ferry service in the early morning, but I would stay around the corner at the Best Western. It is a nicer hotel than the City State. The Si-Kat is a private service and there will be an attendant who will guide the passengers through Batangas terminal to the ferry.

Speaking of ferries, allow plenty of time to get back to Manila. It would be a good idea to also purchase travel insurance that includes missed connections and trip interruption, one that doesn't specify being on a cruise or guided tour. This should be in addition to a DAN policy.

Thanks all for your reply. I am leaning to Puerto Galera as many recommended. The only issue for me is how to get to the place. the Si-Kat seems to be the best option for those who are heading to PG for the first time, but to maximize the number of dives during my short holidays, I would try the public transport as Centrals suggested.

Thanks all for your reply. I am leaning to Puerto Galera as many recommended. The only issue for me is how to get to the place. the Si-Kat seems to be the best option for those who are heading to PG for the first time, but to maximize the number of dives during my short holidays, I would try the public transport as Centrals suggested.
Very brave of you!
Are you sure you will be physical fit and mentally alert to dive right after such a long flight from LA and the combined land and sea travelling to PG? Please try not to fall asleep on a public bus. BTW, you want the ferry to Sabang. Muelle is the name for the port of Puerto Galera and you will need either jeepney or trike to Sabang. White Beach is quite a distance from Sabang. Please find out the latest ferry schedule to Sabang and plan your arrival at Batangas Pier accordingly.
Beware of pick pocket in crowded area and accept no food/drink from anyone! There is no toilet on the bus so make sure your bladder is empty but the driver do make exception if required.
Si-Kat is the best option for you, pretty safe to sleep/doze off for couple of hrs. The total cost is merely P850.00(US$18.00). You should arrive at PG around lunch with plenty of time to make three dives at least!!!!

South Sea Divers is my suggestion in PG and they probably put you up at Angelyn which is right next to the dive shop.

My advice would be just to suck up the cost and arrange for private transfer. A bit expensive but well worth it especially if you just want to get to Sabang quickly at that time at night. Also, this way you can be on first dive at 9AM the following morning. Every hotel in Sabang can set it up for you. I have done it last two times I went as I needed to conserve time to get as much diving in as possible. No issues at night to cross channel in Banka and you should be rolling into Sabang pier around 4AM.....hassle free way and you avoid the mess in Manila and lots of awful day traffic.

No issues at night to cross channel in Banka and you should be rolling into Sabang pier around 4AM.....
It is illegal but some operators will do it and some won't.
If you have done it on a rough sea, you will never want to do it again. Speak from experience.
A smart operator will park the van/car in a service station on the Southern Highway for few hrs and then catch the ferry at first light.

Centrals, thanks for the heads up. I had no idea it is not allowed to across at night with a private boat. I assumed it was fine as I had hotel set up private car and private boat transfers. The boats I have taken have not left the Batangas pier but left from a place which appeared to be dedicated to the resorts on the island and it all went very smooth. I would say three hours in all from airport to Sabang. Of course I did not encounter rough sea and maybe if it was they would not have crossed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom