Ankle weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George Scherman

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a drysuit (trilam) and I'm wondering what the norm is for ankle weights. I'm thinking of making my own. Thanks

I think the best advice is to learn to dive without them. I am also in the learning process using my drysuit and have found that when I am in the proper position they are not necessary. You may hear some very strong opinions on either side though :)

Have fun in the process,
DP

That depends on whether you need them or not.
I don't use them with AL tanks, or with Steel 121's. However, with Steel 95's, for example, there's just no way to get the tanks low enough on my back and still be able to reach the valves that will allow me to achieve horizontal trim without them.
S

TheDivingPreacher:
I think the best advice is to learn to dive without them. I am also in the learning process using my drysuit and have found that when I am in the proper position they are not necessary. You may hear some very strong opinions on either side though :)

Have fun in the process,
DP

I will agree with TheDivingPreacher if you can stay away from ankle weights you won't have to get use to diving without them in the future like myself. I would just got for a dive with your new suit and see how it goes. I don't know if this is your first dry suit but if it is, down forget that it will take about 10 dives to get use to diving dry and being in the proper position.

In agreement, don't use them if you can avoid it. Unfortunately, I've had to put about 1.5 lbs each ankle to keep horizontal, but I'm about to change my set up. Hopefully, I'll be able to drop the ankle weights then.

As the above Authors said above, don't use them and You will have to learn to dive without them. I used the Big Brass and lead weighted boots in the Mk5 in the Navy then when I went Construction diving in Washington (state Of Course!) We dove the hat with only Rubber work boots on. Big differents but, manageable. After a few months working in "no weighted boots" enviroment, I cannot imagine with the weighted boots.
You'll get use to diving without them. Just a crutch......B------

George Scherman:
I just got a drysuit (trilam) and I'm wondering what the norm is for ankle weights. I'm thinking of making my own. Thanks

To my way of thinking ankle weights are something you should see as a temporary measure while you get used to your drysuit. Sort of like training-wheels. When you first start diving in a drysuit it screws up your trim so I don't see the problem with using ankle weights for a while while you play with your trim and get it nailed.

Eventually you'll want to lose them because (a) they really do put more strain than is necessary on your legs and (b) most ankle weights are much too heavy and actually start to drag your feet down too much once you get the technique down.

Here are some suggestions for things to work on:

- First of all, if you are using integrated weights, put some of it back on a weightbelt and start wearing a weightbelt again. The weightbelt forms a restriction that slows down the movement of air inside the suit and makes the suit more stable.

- With a trilam suit pull any extra material up *over* the weightbelt. This will move the biggest part of the bubble above the level of the weightbelt which will help in keeping your feet down.

- Buy a separate cam-band (tank band) and put 2-3 lbs of weight on it. Hang this on your tank below the level of your weightbelt. This will push your hips down which will keep your feet down. Move this weight up and down to adjust trim. Note: you *must* use a cam band for this. If you try to use something else, like a weightbelt, then your trim weight will fall off.

- Learn to keep your knees bent. With straight legs, your feet are further from the "fulcrum" of trim and the will create more upwards force than they will if they are bent. In other words, keeping your knees bent is one of the keys to keeping your feet down. Learn/feel what happens when you bend your knees. Just by bending and straightening your legs you can get a seesaw (teeter-totter) effect going.

- Learn to arch your back. That's holling your back with the chest out. When you do that, it forces your hips to go down and your feet will follow. This technique is also key to controlling your trim in a drysuit.

That sort of covers the basics. Most of the rest is a matter of practice and getting comfortable with your new bit of gear. Practice in shallow water. You'll find that it takes 10 dives or so before it starts to really fall into place.

R..

George Scherman:

Ankle weights are one of many tools used to balance your complete system. Your choice of gear and body type will determine what you need. Don't be afraid to use what you need.

--Matt

I prefer using ankle weights both at work (2.5lbs/leg) as well as recreationally (1.5lbs/leg), they add stability and compensate for the air that inside of the suit legs.

George Scherman:

Hi George,
I dive a neoprene dry suit and need all the weight I can,But as others said, you may not need them for long,some new divers I give a pair to-and it helps,The bend the knees is a key! Think they cover that in class.

But to make your own-Go to like Wallmart and get a 27x1-3/8 tire tube,go back to materials and they have the heavy duty buckles & webing -I make mine as big as I need to fit around my dry suit leg,then cut the tube,run the webing thru the tube and glue one end of buckle on and slide over buckle, and then roll otherside of inertube back down a 1" or so, fill tube with a med lead shot from sport goods store,then put other buckel on & glue and slide tube over buckle, I use a bit of silicone caulk on each and to stop any leakage.
Dive safe
Brad

Back
Top Bottom