Ankle weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got a new dry suit as well. When I g o diving I use 2 lbs of ankle weight for each of my ankles. Right now, I am tryin to wean myself of it, for two reasons. To save money, meaning less gear to buy, and also to learn good buoyancy control. It will force you to do better. Some of these suggestions are great such as Diver0001's and I am looking forward to trying them out. You might try moving your air tank further down your back too. My LDS won't sell me ankle weights (but will lend them to me) because he wants me to have better buoyancy control.

wow where is that dive shop again? maybe he will let me borrow a set of steel doubles and a bp/wing combo :D but back to the thread I bout a set of ankle weigths from lp that you fill yourself, and I put 2lbs in each I think they cost like 12.95 or somthing like that, for that cheap its harlgy worth the time to diy. I think they were made by trident?

Well the dive shop is in Vancouver BC and he did say he would lend me a backplate BCD when I am ready for them.

Thanks one and all. I'm anxious for a little warmer weather to try out my gear. I need to get my 14 yo into a dry suit so I have a dive buddy that's always willing and able.
George

Fin choice may play a part. Jet fins are negative, where others may be light.
A properly fitted suit is good as well.
When I started dry suit diving I felt the need for gaitors, but got rid of them after a few dives, when I realized I was putting too much gas in the suit. Wanna buy them?

I used Ankle weights initially, as someone already said they were like training wheels. I took them off after maybe 10-15 dives.
However it took me maybe 30 dives untill I felt comfortable in my drysuit, and I havnt looked back since.

Some people need ankle weights, some dont, those that do tend to require varying amounts of weight on them.
No real problem with using them if suit material/size/fit dictates it.

People only *think* they need ankle weights, IMNSHO. Nobody actually needs them, except for those that haven't learned how to properly trim themselves. If your legs are floaty, extend them further and bring your arms back toward your body or shift your tank(s) down a bit on your back...Use jetfins (you'll want them anyhow if you want to do any kick other than the flutter).

Most of the people I see using ankle weights don't actually dive in a horizontal position, anyhow....when you first start diving horizontal, it feels like you are standing on your head, and thus leads you to believe you need ankle weights. Get someone who knows what they are doing to watch you and give you feedback while in the water. You can tell if they know what they are talking about if *they* are completely horizontal when they dive.

Soggy:
People only *think* they need ankle weights, IMNSHO. Nobody actually needs them, except for those that haven't learned how to properly trim themselves.

Id go as far as to say thats absolute rubbish. In a perfect world where everyone has perfectly fitting suits, boots and undergarments maybe but in reality people with air spaces in the legs, boots and so on may well find floaty feet problems that cant be comfortably addressed by repositioning weight for trim, or put another way the best positioning for a "trim" weight is on the ankles so becomes an ankle weight.

Why buy jet fins? They arent for everyone and are no different a solution than ankle weights - different kit to do a different job, they're nothing magical. Not once the rabid propaganda is cut through anyway.

I bought a pair of ankle weights from the LDS after my first try with a drysuit. I have very fat floaty legs and was sure I would need them. I havent used them yet. Once I got used to the idea that if I go feet up I can correct myself I didnt feel like I needed them. Also all the advice from this board about not keeping to much air in your drysuit that can go to the feet and cause air bubbles were you dont want them helped alot. We now use the ankle weights to keep our tent from blowing away. At least the money wasnt wasted :)

Back
Top Bottom