Annapolis pics - 1st dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finally got my buddy Doug to launch his boat and go out to dive the Annapolis two weekends ago. Vis was about 30ft and the water was pretty green with algae. It was great to see her resting on the bottom. As you will see in the pics I thought I saw a big Ling Cod until I realized it's profile was about 1/4" thick and it was stuck on a stick lol. Still no invertebrates taking hold but there were lots of perch schooling over the deck. Looking forward to watching the marine life develop. Anyone know who Jacob :heart: Swift and Erin are (-:
Annapolis01.jpgAnnapolis02.jpgAnnapolis03.jpgAnnapolis04.jpgAnnapolis05.jpgAnnapolis 05b.jpgAnnapolis06.jpgAnnapolis07.jpg

Having not dove the wreck yet and having heard a lot of mixed reviews (some would never do it again) on the dive, it's nice to see a few pics and here something positive about it.

Keep us posted on the life on the wreck!!

Regards

Steve

Last edited:
What do people expect...an instant ecosystem... It like having your own garden in the back yard. It's nice to watch it grow. The school of perch covered from the bridge to the bow. If they stick around the cod should move in. Last week I dove under a 45ft boat that hadn't been out of the water for a while to scrape the hull. It was a 2" thick carpet of mixed marine life. I should have done the job over top of the wreck. Would have been a great way to seed it. (-:

no clue, i didnt ask. i think a lot of them were just expecting it to be like the cape/sask with regards to the life/etc.

Is that a 16' Lund? How do you find diving out of that sucker? What is the entry and exit procedure with gear?

It a 15ft scorpion. Better than the older lunds IMO. Lots of width and freeboard with a full 20" transom and built in floor boards. Older boat but no leaks.

Exit is easy. Just fall overboard (-: Entry is a bit trickier. We sling a rope over the side to tie our gear off. Then someone goes to the opposite gunnel and hangs on for a counter balance while the guy on the other side with fins still on kicks/pulls himself over the gunnel. Seems harder every year I do it. Boat must be higher in the water or something..... (-;

GREAT POST!! I can't believe you guys went all the way out there in your wee little boat and then back home again... not to mention getting in and out of it, sounds very challenging. Good for you though! I'm guessing you must have a pee valve for sure though, as that would take some time, especially with a dive or two in the middle.

Anyhow... I've dove the Annapolis twice now, the 1st time, here's a link to my photos https://www.facebook.com/jodylynn007/media_set?set=a.10155440889560537.1073741921.625275536&type=3 (they are on Facebook), the vis was not good that time but it was nice to see and dive the clean boat.

The 2nd time I dove it with my DPV, here's a link to the post/review, I didn't take my camera but a friend snapped a pic of me: https://www.facebook.com/jodylynn007/posts/10156077437215537 - ship is starting to get more life on it and I really loved zipping down and checking out the insides before any other divers showed up.

This is the ONE CHANCE we all will have to dive a perfectly clean ship. It's a truly remarkable experience that only a few divers ever get to experience, treasure it while we can friends. It will have life on it eventually... and then we can enjoy it differently.

I have not yet dove the Annapolis, but I see it as a great wreck for giving classes. It will get more "interesting" over time as life grows on it. Having an interest in building artificial reefs in the future, I'm curious to see the stages of growth year by year.

Much respect for climbing in and out of that boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom