Annapolis to the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the Annapolis Facebook group:

I have spoken to Howie of the ARSBC this morning regarding the news of Annapolis being sold and a CSTR possible purchase.

We had a talk about the current situation and possible outcomes. I have contacted Wes Roots in hope of a conversation with him also, but yet to hear back (I think he may be out the country). I want to hear from both sides before writing anything more in depth.

In the meantime I can tell you that the ship has not been sold, nor is it currently up for sale.

California Ships to Reefs are just preparing for the possibility that it 'may' be put up for sale at some point, depending on the outcome of impending legal action. If that does happen they simply want to be prepared and ready to buy her first, thus ensuring the Annapolis lives on as a reef. CTSR are merely getting their **** [stuff] together.

As of today:
The Annapolis is still property of the ARSBC.
The lien put on the ship by still stands until matters are resolved.
PCB test results have still not been released by government.

Yes, I'm sure it's as you've shared, Slamfire. All the interested parties in Ca just want to be ready in case.

My personal hope is that BC sink group finds a way and sinks it right there where it's at. After thousands of man-hours prepping the ship, they deserve that much.

Bill

I will choose to ignore the flaming :troll: within this thread and simply state that I hope that my fellow Canucks do not lose this; which they have worked so hard on and invested so much in. I do not care what the reasons are, it would be beyond a terrible shame to see the Annapolis sank anywhere that was not within easy reach of the majority of the volunteers (I say the majority because I know of a couple Americans that traveled up and volunteered with the prep).

If in the end we are unable to pull it together and sink it in our waters, I just hope it is sank as an artificial reef rather than chopped up for scrap.

Unfortunately you Canucks lately don't have the financial sense & wherewithal to keep your best home-grown hockey talent, as well as sink a ship for an artificial reef in homewaters. . .

OK but try and sink this one right side up. Y'all haven't had much success with artificial reefs.

Some more positive news, an ARSBC update from the Facebook page:

Annapolis Project Update: “Is someone trying to take the Annapolis away from Vancouver?”

May 31, 2013

Dear Friends and Supporters,

In our last update we reported that we were waiting for final approval from Environment Canada, which was in the late stages of analyzing samples of insulation and paint taken from the ship. We have been in regular contact with Environment Canada’s regional office on the progress of its review. We are pleased to report that we have been advised by Environment Canada that the regional office has completed its analysis and that matters are now with the responsible senior members of Environment Canada for a final decision. We have been advised by Environment Canada that we can expect to receive a report and decision from them imminently. We are eagerly awaiting a final decision from Environment Canada and will share any updates with our volunteers and the broader community as they become available to us.

It is important for everyone to know that from our point of view, the environment always comes first. I am sure you will all agree with our position.

Unfortunately, a lawsuit has been filed in the Federal Court which involves the ARSBC. The ARSBC will be filing defence materials. We apologise for being so quiet during this time, but with the matter before the courts, it is prudent to do so.

Our focus has been, and remains, to ensure that all necessary approvals are obtained so the Annapolis can be sunk as an artificial reef in the Vancouver area. The ARSBC is making every effort to complete this project as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, though, something odd is happening: a group called “California Ships to Reefs”, in San Diego, HYPERLINK "http://www.californiashipstoreefs.org/" www.californiashipstoreefs.org apparently believes that the Annapolis will be put up for sale. We understand that this group may be taking steps to prepare itself to acquire the Annapolis and attempt to bring it to San Diego or some other location outside of the Vancouver area. The ARSBC does not know why California Ships to Reefs would believe that the Annapolis is, or will be, put up for sale.

The ARSBC has no intention of selling or disposing of the Annapolis. The intention of the ARSBC is to complete this project by successfully sinking the Annapolis in the Vancouver area as an artificial reef.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

(Signed)

Howard Robins
President, ARSBC

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Is the Annapolis now sitting where they want it sunk?

From everything I've seen and heard down here in SoCal, there doesn't seem to be any person or org intent on taking Annapolis away from Vancouver. (Pretty poor choice of words, IMOHO.)

As stated a few posts above, people just want to be ready IN CASE the bad-news-scenario is realized and the ship goes up on the auction block or similar. I think that's just prudent, yes?

Annapolis Project Update: “Is someone trying to take the Annapolis away from Vancouver?”

May 31, 2013

Dear Friends and Supporters,

In our last update we reported...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom