Announcing the SubGravity H3 - Powered by SeaBear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The screen went dark and battery issue after 5 weeks no use in still waiting for the return I'm in the Turks & Caicos islands

Thanks for the info! Fingers crossed for you that it all works out.

Was it the same problem both times you had to send it in?

How long did it take for them to turn it around the first time?

1st time it was a button issue took 24 hrs I was state side 2nd it's know been 4 weeks and I'm getting a bit ticked off !!!
But it's a great computer !!!! I love it but !!!

ok so story so far is my computer is on its way back to me 5 months!!!
and OH JOY THEY ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE A TRANSMITTER FOR IT
!!!
I cannot say how VERY upset i am with this company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are not going to have a transmitter for it ever? Or just not soon?

Or they are going to have a transmitter for the ScubaPro version, but it won't be backwards compatible to the SeaBear version?

Can you say who actually told you this?

I talked to a SP rep a few weeks ago. He said he'd just been on a conference call where the status of the release of the SP H3 with AI was discussed, and that it IS happening. As a sales rep, he just couldn't be sure exactly when. He said they were trying to get it out before the end of the summer, but it could be as late as DEMA (November).

Being somewhat wise to the ways of technology, I expressed my concern that they would release the AI but it would not be backwards compatible with the SeaBear H3. I still believe this is a realistic possibility. Especially given how long it is taking them to get it out. I further expressed the sentiment that, if it does come out and it's not compatible with the SeaBear H3, I hope ScubaPro would offer a deal to existing H3 owners to give them a free (or cheap) "upgrade" (or replacement or whatever you might call it) from the SeaBear to a ScubaPro H3, if they want to buy the transmitter. He seemed to think that that was a realistic possibility (if that situation comes to pass). Even if it cost me a few bucks, I'd probably pay it to update/replace my SeaBear with a SP H3, if that's what it took to have the ability to use the AI.

I talked to a SP rep a few weeks ago. He said he'd just been on a conference call where the status of the release of the SP H3 with AI was discussed, and that it IS happening. As a sales rep, he just couldn't be sure exactly when. He said they were trying to get it out before the end of the summer, but it could be as late as DEMA (November).

Being somewhat wise to the ways of technology, I expressed my concern that they would release the AI but it would not be backwards compatible with the SeaBear H3. I still believe this is a realistic possibility. Especially given how long it is taking them to get it out. I further expressed the sentiment that, if it does come out and it's not compatible with the SeaBear H3, I hope ScubaPro would offer a deal to existing H3 owners to give them a free (or cheap) "upgrade" (or replacement or whatever you might call it) from the SeaBear to a ScubaPro H3, if they want to buy the transmitter. He seemed to think that that was a realistic possibility (if that situation comes to pass). Even if it cost me a few bucks, I'd probably pay it to update/replace my SeaBear with a SP H3, if that's what it took to have the ability to use the AI.

Glad I'm in a position to wait and see what happens. My Oceanic VT3 just keeps on going... The Liquivision Omnix, the Scubapro H3, who knows, maybe Shearwater will have an AI by the time these are available.

I sure hope this comes to fruition and that us original Seaberar H3 guys are taken care of. I think we will be.

Ok so sub gravity had a great little transmitter that was awesome but so said No!!
Dp had a dangly transmitter which is NOT COOL!!! Trust me I do like the H3 but I bought it for the ai and there customer service is not the best it's close becoming a goby home!!!!

I also have an H3, which I really like conceptually, but the quality issues keep cropping up. First one of the buttons stopped responding, then a screw fell off (seems these are very weak to start with), and then I received a unit with a line of dead pixels. Randy and team have been absolutely fantastic in taking care of me, so I can't complain. Sadly, I think that even with their enthusiasm they have hard time overcoming the inherent quality issues in this first generation H3. I really hope that Johnson Outdoors invest the money that is needed not only to add the much anticipated AI, but also to address the known weak points in the design. This little computer has a lot of potential to unset Sheerwater from the throne, but not before a better version gets released.

For comparison, I have never ever had to send back any of the Oceanics that I own (VT3, etc) after putting them through tons of dives. Just keep changing the batteries annually and they keep going on and on (but husshhh, let's not give Oceanic any Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ideas). The H3 keeps making trips back to SG (so far 3 times in less than a year). I really like the H3 and am ok with being an early adopter. I just can't yet recommend it to my tech/cave students in its current state with clear consciousness. I hope that what we get next will elevate the H3 from a proof of concept unit to a prime time contender that we all can be proud of diving with and recommending to our peers.

I sure hope this comes to fruition and that us original Seaberar H3 guys are taken care of. I think we will be.

I think they will. Given the quality issues with the first H3 production run, it does not seem to make economic sense to keep fixing/replacing these units. Also, what happens once the H3 goes out of the 1-year warranty period? At the current rate of failure, unless SeaBear does something, the H3s will practical be bricks after the warranty expires. The most sensible thing they can do is upgrade the H3 units out there to the next generation H3 when/if they release it and extend the warranty period. What they decide to do will either turn the early adopters into loyal repeat customers or into a chorus of dissatisfied former customers. It's a delicate situation for a company that will need to build reputation in order to offset Sheerwater from their throne. I wonder if Johnson Outdoors had an idea about what they would be getting themselves into when purchasing SeaBear. Hope SG succeed in making the best of this mess.

Back
Top Bottom