Announcing the SubGravity H3 - Powered by SeaBear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys, I might have a (potential?) issue with my H3 and want to see if anyone has a solution.

I've had a little break from working & diving. My last dive before my break was March 1st 2016. During my break I have let my H3 fully discharge (not intentionally). Before I started diving again I recharged the H3 and reset all my settings. I dove again July 4th 2016 and have done 4 dives since.

I was just checking my logbook on the H3 and noticed something. On the March 1st dive (and earlier) I can access the profile data in the logbook. On the July 4th and later dives, if I select 'profile' in the logbook the H3 displays 'NO DATA' and throws me back to the main screen.

Have I missed a setting somewhere, although I can't find anything relating to this or recall any setting for this. Or is there an issue with my H3.

Looking forward to hearing experiences and tips...

Ok, decided to have a closer look at the data by connecting the H3 to my MacBook and something strange is going on. There is something with the dive numbers counting and data.

*Up to dive number 246 everything is ok.
*Then I have 47 dives from January 22st 2016 to March 1st which are all shown as dive number 247. I assume that it is number 247 and 47 dives is probably a coincidence as that was just my last dive before my break. This multiple occurence of dive 247 can be seen both on the H3 itself as I scroll through the logbook and in the LOGBOOK.TXT file.
*All these 47 dives seem to have profile data if I look at the H3 (I randomly checked a few).
*However on attaching the H3 to my MacBook I can see only one .CSV file for dive 247, and that is for the first one with that number from January 22nd.
*The 4 dives I've done since July 4th are all numbered dive 292.
*These dives have no profile data when looking on the H3 itself, I get the 'NO DATA' warning.
*There are no .CSV files for dive 292 or later.

I wonder if this is some software glitch or something else. I've just done the 'FORMAT MEMORY' and will report back after I've done another dive to see if this solves the problem.

My H3 information.
H3 V145
HW02 DECO V124

The latest LOGBOOK.TXT file is attached.

Attachments

• LOGBOOK_H3_05082016.TXT
    24.6 KB · Views: 71
Sounds like a bug in the logging, to me.

Is it possible that you have filled the memory on the H3?

I have not had the problem you described, but I have reported one prior bug with logging plus one issue that technically is not a bug, I guess.

With mine, it was new and I only had 6 dives on it. Looking at the Logbook on the H3, I could see dives 1, 3,4,5, and 6. I could not see dive 2. When I pulled the CSV files onto my computer, there was a CSV for dive 2, but it showed dive 2 as being only 5 seconds long. And the start time for dive 3 was 1 second after the start time for dive 2.

I formatted the memory on my H3 and have not had any issues since.

Haven't been diving yet so no update on the logging issue.

However I have updated and re-edited my earlier review of the H3 and posted it online.

You can read the extensive review here!

Anyone of you guys noticed that when you changing the PO2, the MOD stays on 1.6 settings? We did some testing, the computer works right but the MOD on the display shows always the same depth. I tryied to contact the support over FB but unfortunately this stayed with no answer.

Anyone of you guys noticed that when you changing the PO2, the MOD stays on 1.6 settings? We did some testing, the computer works right but the MOD on the display shows always the same depth. I tryied to contact the support over FB but unfortunately this stayed with no answer.

I see the same thing. With my gas set to Air, the main display shows an MOD of 216', even though in Settings, I have Max PO2 set to 1.4.

In the Gases menu, the MOD shown there for each gas is also the MOD at 1.6.

I guess the Max PO2 setting is only there for the computer to use to give me a warning if I actually exceed it during a dive.

I was doing some dive planning for some training this weekend and noticed something "not right" about the H3 Dive Simulation tool.

For the reader who doesn't know what the H3 Dive Simulation is, let me briefly explain. There is a menu choice for Dive Simulation. You select that. You put in a depth and a time and then long-press to Go. It then begins simulating a dive running at 10 seconds of dive time for every 1 second of real time. E.g. after 6 seconds, the computer shows that you have 1 minute of elapsed dive time. It simulates descending to the target depth at 60 ft/min. You can add additional legs and if your legs are ascents and you have deco gases setup, it will even prompt you to switch gases, just like it will during an actual dive.

I just ran a Dive Simulation to see what the ascent plan would be. It’s coming out very different than the same plan produced by Multi-Deco.

It’s a dive to 80’ for 30 minutes, using Air and Nx80 for deco.

MD gives a first stop of 30’ and total deco time of 5:20. The H3 gives a first stop of 40' and total deco time of 8:10.

Using the same GF (30/70) and gases in the Dive Simulation on the H3, (at 30:00 and 80’ in the simulator) it gives me:

Stop at 40’ for 0:10 (Air)
Stop at 30’ for 0:20 (Nx80)
Stop at 20’ for 1:40 (Nx80)
Stop at 10’ for 6:00 (Nx80)

That is quite a bit longer deco than what MultiDeco is giving. I haven’t been in the water in 5 days, so the H3 does not have any residual tissue loading stored. The H3 shows SI of “—“.

I emailed Sub Gravity Support, to see if they have any idea what is going on here. Then I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else has any thoughts or to see if anyone else does it and gets different results.

Now I am REALLY feeling like I need to get another tech computer, so I can compare them on an actual dive. I'm going to see if I can borrow my old Petrel 2 for this weekend's dives.

Here is the plan I got from MD. It comes out the same whether I use ZHL-16C or ZHL-16B:

MultiDeco 4.11 by Ross Hemingway,
ZHL code by Erik C. Baker.

Decompression model: ZHL16-C + GF

DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 5 day 0 hr 0 min.
Elevation = 0ft
Conservatism = GF 30/70

Dec to 80ft (1) Air 60ft/min descent.
Level 80ft 28:40 (30) Air 0.71 ppO2, 80ft ead
Asc to 30ft (31) Air -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 30ft 0:20 (32) Nitrox 80 1.51 ppO2, 0ft ead
Stop at 20ft 2:00 (34) Nitrox 80 1.27 ppO2, 0ft ead
Stop at 10ft 3:00 (37) Nitrox 80 1.04 ppO2, 0ft ead
Surface (37) Nitrox 80 -30ft/min ascent.

And, just that quick, Josh from SG already replied and explained.

He said the difference is the H3 ascent plan is including 3:00 at 10' for a safety stop. He said on an actual dive, my deco would clear after 3:00 at 10' and I am free to skip the 3:00 safety stop, per usual, if I wish.

No explanation for the 0:10 at 40', but I'm prepared to accept that as a small variation due to slight differences in algorithm implementation. Comparing total deco of 5:10 to 5:20 is much more reasonable.

I see the same thing. With my gas set to Air, the main display shows an MOD of 216', even though in Settings, I have Max PO2 set to 1.4.

In the Gases menu, the MOD shown there for each gas is also the MOD at 1.6.

I guess the Max PO2 setting is only there for the computer to use to give me a warning if I actually exceed it during a dive.

Yes exactly. I mean with Air there is no problem at all but once you set it to Nitrox, in my opinion, the MOD on display should change. As you are saying, the computer is only giving you a warning by turning the depth to the red color but for me I would love to have it visible all the time.

Yeah, what it really needs is a way to either set the Max PO2 for each individual gas, OR a way to mark certain gases as Deco Gas and then set a separate Max PO2 for deco gases.

I don't want it showing me the MOD at 1.6 for my bottom gas, but I also don't want it complaining at me for using deco gas at a PO2 of 1.6. or showing me the MOD for my deco gas based on PO2 of 1.4.

But, I suppose we have to live with it how it is. I don't expect to ever see another firmware update for it.

It's been almost a year since ScubaPro bought these computers. The only reason I can see for them not already releasing them with the ScubaPro name on them is if they made changes to the computer itself (more than just changing the name on the case and updating the firmware with bug fixes and enhancements). And if they did that, then the firmware for the SP version probably won't work on the SB version. And SP would have no reason to spend money making updated firmware for the SB version.

HOPEFULLY, I am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom