Annual Reg Servicing??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure if you are asking what they are, or implying that there aren't any... you already mentioned the shelf life of o-rings so you're obviously already aware that some things deteriorate over time regardless of use

What I was picking at is what deteriorates enough to warrant an annual service interval for parts that are not in use, which seems to be what your are claiming. There are essentially no parts that fit into that category. Viton and EPDM have an indefinitely long shelf life according to the manufacturers.

Really the closest I can think of would be the low pressure seats. But even in that case what is being addressed is decreased performance and not the usual overwrought claims of imminent demise due to disregard of "life support equipment". If we were not being given the usual misguided advice you could just remove the hose adjust the regulator and be on your way in a few minutes.

Of course regulators that see regular use do lose lubrication over time. And most metallic materials used are subject to corrosion and contamination from the environment. Those have to be addressed by taking your regulator apart and cleaning it. But that will not happen just sitting on a shelf.

For this topics purposes, my regulators don't sit around. They will be used every weekend as soon as the weather warms up. They were used every weekend from their purchase date at the end of July.

For this topics purposes, my regulators don't sit around. They will be used every weekend as soon as the weather warms up. They were used every weekend from their purchase date at the end of July.

Hi al248005,

Take a look at this "sticky" post at the very top of the Regulator forum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

The best answer as to if and when to service your regulator is based on frequent inspection and testing, and is something every diver can easily learn to do.

Every regulator will eventually need to be serviced. Maybe at 1 year, maybe after a few years, or maybe at much shorter intervals, depending on use, proper post-dive care and storage, and sometimes just "luck"!

The only way to really know is to learn to test your regulator yourself.

Best wishes.

If you bought your Oceanic regulator from an authorized dealer and have it serviced every year at an authorized service shop, the parts are free forever.

i cannot believe it took 24 posts to have someone mention this.

anyone know why this is the case? such a good marketing tactic...

The parts are a relatively small cost - the bulk of servicing is labour. It is a good marketing ploy, but the consumer won't save any money in the long run compared to getting their regs serviced every second year and paying for the parts

What I was picking at is what deteriorates enough to warrant an annual service interval for parts that are not in use, which seems to be what your are claiming

I'm not claiming that at all - I never mentioned the interval and I don't agree that annual servicing is required in most instances. Shelf life of o-rings is generally 5-15+ years depending on material, but that is for unused, uninstalled, unlubricated o-rings that are properly stored; which means not exposed to excessive temperatures, humidity, light, oxygen, ozone or deformation. Not ones that are installed in a reg, used for 2 dives and then put in a cupboard. As I said, shelf life is not the same as service life.

i cannot believe it took 24 posts to have someone mention this.

anyone know why this is the case? such a good marketing tactic...

You've answered your own question.

Dive shops make a living on selling and servicing equipment. The "free parts for life" is something many (most?) regulator companies offer as an incentive to get the consumers (we divers) to bring our gear in for service each year; and most companies punish you for not bringing your gear in for annual service by taking away the free-parts portion of the incentive.

The companies offer this because:

1.) The parts kits cost them very little.
2.) It helps support their authorized dealers.
3.) It does make sure that the regulators are being inspected at least once a year.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom