Another backplate/wing setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katz,

How do you like your venture wing?

Apology accepted Eric, thanks.

On the Venture Wing, AMS, I love mine, I had a Pioneer previously and prefer the inner and outer shells, however the difference is probably academic. Like I said in another thread, buy a double-bag, donut wing (from Halcyon, Dive Rite or Oxycheq) on price, cause they all are good.

Ben

mempilot:
I'm trying to make ammends and you keep coming. So your add-on component makes up for the lack of engineering. I don't need a STA on my bp for my wing. It was designed right to begin with.
I've only had my Oxycheq SS wing for about a month now, and am loving it! I use STA with my E7-120, but I don't understand why this would be considered wrong, if as you suggest, not having one implies that is the right way??

Warren_L:
I've only had my Oxycheq SS wing for about a month now, and am loving it! I use STA with my E7-120, but I don't understand why this would be considered wrong, if as you suggest, not having one implies that is the right way??

I too have a new Oxycheq wing (good wing!) and I use the STA to take weight off my belt. I have no idea how it would work without the STA, but I like it the way it is!

Warren_L:
I didn't say it was considered wrong. Reread the post. I said it is an added piece of equipment, an accessory if you will, to make the single tank work with the bp. Some bp's are designed to accept the tank straps and the wings have anti-roll tabs built in. This design was done properly to accept both singles and doubles without adding another adaptor.

Isn't the Eclipse made of the same material as the Explorer?

mempilot:
I didn't say it was considered wrong. Reread the post. I said it is an added piece of equipment, an accessory if you will, to make the single tank work with the bp. Some bp's are designed to accept the tank straps and the wings have anti-roll tabs built in. This design was done properly to accept both singles and doubles without adding another adaptor.
It seemed to imply that the STA made up for a lack of engineering (as the BP/wings setup was "designed right to begin with" would imply that others were designed not quite right) . "So your add-on component makes up for the lack of engineering.". I'm wondering why having to use a STA would be viewed not quite as optimal as a BP/Wing rig that does not require one.

My backplate (S&W also) works with a sta or without. I dive in 55 degree water in a drysuit. When I am single tank diving I employ the sta to get the weight off my belt.
If you can take six pounds off your hips it does wonders for your spine.
If you dive only warm water you probably don't need a sta but us Yanks that freezes our butts off like them. Some of my mates dive 12 lb plates plus a 5 lb sta.
I also find the sta to be far superior in stability then then using just a wing with a delrin integrated sta.
Sounds like a difference of opinion based on latitude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom