Another 'Bent" Tongan Diver and recent multiple deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I shared a ride in the chamber today in Suva with a Fijian who got bent while collecting sea cucumbers. I was horrified to hear his tale about being provided with scuba gear (no computer or timing device) and going down to depths of 40-50 metres to collect the cucumbers. The rule for when to come up is when there is 60-70 bar in the tank. It's no wonder he got bent! I had no idea such a thing was going on and am really sad to hear it is also happening in Tonga. The fact that there is no chamber in Tonga makes things even worse there. According to the chamber staff in Suva, treating divers who are bent while collecting sea cucumbers is extremely common.

Greg, I would love to know what progress you have made in regards to education here in Fiji. I have been trying to find out more info about this today and from what I have found it is illegal to collect sea cucumbers on scuba in Fiji, but the government grants exemptions to some companies. This seems like a law that needs changing.

Not at all necessary anymore. The aquarium industry has evolved to the point where 99% of trade corals and fish can be bred and propagated in captivity. As long as there is a demand, though, this crap will continue.

As a former aquarium business owner, avid marine fish breeder, and author on marine fish I must say this comment is not even close to reality. I personally have bred nearly 20 marine species, and this is considered a massive achievement within the hobby. I'll guess you pulled the 99%figure straight from your azz, but it is much closer to 1% of marine fish have been bred in captivity, and more likely .01% of marine fish species have the ability to supply current demand with captive breeding alone. Please don't make "factual" statements you clearly know nothing about.

Back
Top Bottom