Another boater needs help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw that a few days ago and emailed the poster. Problem is he/she said it was in 60' water and that he/she thinks she knows the location but could be off by 50'. The location is Devils Cove and the object is a silver necklace.

I've read that the vis at Devils Cove is crap and that the bottom is waist deep silt and the whole bottom is littered in trash.

Didn't seem worth trying to recover it to me. If someone is crazy enough and thinks it can be done, grab me and I'll come by for support.

When I lived up in Dandy Don territory, a decade or so ago, a buddy of mine dropped a special watch his wife had given him off his sailboat in the marina at Lake Meredith. I did four drops to the bottom (at the time it was 60') and couldn't see a thing, and gave up. Right now you could walk out to it.

Maybe this boat owner needs to wait until September or October?

I tried to help a friend who is a fisherman try and find his dentures he lost a couple of days ago. It was only in about 15' of water but vis was 2" and a lot of tree limbs and leaf litter, plus the silt. My buddy and I searched for an hour and fortyfive minutes and never found them. In conditions like that it would be almost impossible to find anything.

Maybe this boat owner needs to wait until September or October?

I've heard it's going to be a very wet fall. Wouldn't be suprised if we aren't back up to full pool by spring.

sounds like a metal detector and a search grid kit are mandatory for anyone attempting

I've read that the vis at Devils Cove is crap and that the bottom is waist deep silt and the whole bottom is littered in trash.

I've dove Devil's Cove a couple of times. The viz was actually decent when I was there (15+ feet) and the silt isn't quite waist deep. There is a ton of trash on the bottom (probably several tons.) There is crap, but it's not the viz - it comes from all of the party people dumping their blackwater tanks in the cove after they fill up with barf, #2's, and shredded underwear.

Happy diving!

Chris

I saw that a few days ago and emailed the poster. Problem is he/she said it was in 60' water and that he/she thinks she knows the location but could be off by 50'. The location is Devils Cove and the object is a silver necklace.

Didn't seem worth trying to recover it to me. If someone is crazy enough and thinks it can be done, grab me and I'll come by for support.

A couple of years ago a buddy and I dove looking for a guys prescription glasses i believe. I *THINK* it was in Devil's cove, but I can't recall for sure. All I can say is visibility was maybe 3 - 4'. I did end up losing my backup light and refinding it again, so I suppose finding stuff *is* possible down there... It especially helps if your buddy is able to control their buoyancy enough to stay off of the bottom. I'd consider trying it again, but not on a weekend in the summer - I don't like drunken boaters - and that seems to be the only time I'm free.

I actually really like treasure hunting those kinds of spots (also Hell's Gate @ PK) - but on an off day when I won't get chopped up or an anchor smacking me in the head... Maybe if anyone's up for it later in the year I'd be up for going.

---------- Post Merged at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:51 PM ----------
I've dove Devil's Cove a couple of times. The viz was actually decent when I was there (15+ feet) and the silt isn't quite waist deep. There is a ton of trash on the bottom (probably several tons.) There is crap, but it's not the viz - it comes from all of the party people dumping their blackwater tanks in the cove after they fill up with barf, #2's, and shredded underwear.

Happy diving!

Chris

Hi Chris, Do you recall about what time of year that was in which it was clear?

--Trey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom