Another breakthrough in undersea technology from Indiegogo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I'm wrong, show me your numbers.
If you are right, why that stupid people from BAUER builds stupid air compressors that take 25 minutes to fill an empty AL80 tank to 3000 psi with an electric motor of 3.5 HP.

It's not my numbers, it's theirs. On the serious side, others posted links to airgun pumps already -- I wonder if a $150 pump from wally world can fill a 0.5L cylinder.

Precharge Pneumatic Rifles have a cylinder of about 200cc abd use a pressure of about 200 BAR for sbout 80 full powef shots (UK legal limit before you need a firearms certificate)
It takes about 90 strokes of the pump to fill the cylinder and it's bloody hard work. Posh rifles have removable cylinders so you can carry several.
When I used to go after rabbits and wood pigeon in my younger days I had a hand pump but always charged up at home from a dive bottle.

If I'm wrong, show me your numbers.
If you are right, why that stupid people from BAUER builds stupid air compressors that take 25 minutes to fill an empty AL80 tank to 3000 psi with an electric motor of 3.5 HP.
Their mini compressor doesn't rate specs except for power, which is rated at 1500 W. My 2 HP shop compressor is rated for 15 A at 120 V, or 1800 W, so it's technically possible the mini compressor is almost 2 HP, but seems unlikely with what they've posted.

I have a high pressure hand air pump and it works fine. N

Ok... I've been looking into this 'Minidive' thing trying to decide if I should unleash the flying troll monkeys against these people and their dubious project.

First, There are high pressure hand pumps out there for 200 BAR. However, it is doubtful that these people have found a practical way to use them for scuba tanks. These pumps move a very small amount of air and it takes a lot of physical force as it gets up to 3000 PSI. One reviewer of air guns recommends that anybody under 150 pounds doesn't even try. It is stated that charging an air gun with one of these pumps can take almost 10 minutes of very hard work and the reservoir might only hold between 75 and 200 cubic centimeters of air.

200 cc = 0.007 cubic foot. 10 minutes to fill a 200 cc tank on an airgun, how long to fill a pony bottle that holds 99,108 cc.
Right? (check my reasoning, it's been a long time since I've used a pneumatic pellet gun.)

(conversions provided by an awesome website www.onlineconversion.com)

Second, there is nothing shown in their project that isn't already in the marketplace.

Finally, what do they intend to use this pile of money for? It's always seems suspicious when a technology project has campaigns on both Kikstarter and Indegogo. If fact, if someone really does develop and document some new technological breakthrough, there are venture capitalists with technology backgrounds who are always looking for the next great thing. Why would someone take their breakthrough to be funded by a public without a technology background? (unless people with a technology background would know 'something' about the project.)

These people are raising a combined $150,000 to bring a pony bottle to the market place? I've been involved in bringing dive gear to the market over many years and if I brought this project to my bosses and told them I needed 150 grand to launch a pony bottle system, I would have been laughed out of their offices. Once they figured out I was serious I would be fired and once the rest of the dive industry heard about it, I'd never work in this business again.

Maybe I am missing something so I'm reserving judgement for now and I'm going to reach out to these people for some answers. Let's hear what you guys think of all this.

The flying troll monkeys are thrashing around their cages anxious for something to do.

It is stated that charging an air gun with one of these pumps can take almost 10 minutes of very hard work and the reservoir might only hold between 75 and 200 cubic centimeters of air.

200 cc = 0.007 cubic foot. 10 minutes to fill a 200 cc tank on an airgun, how long to fill a pony bottle that holds 99,108 cc.
Right? (check my reasoning, it's been a long time since I've used a pneumatic pellet gun.)
It holds 0.5 l compressed air (500 cc). And the airgun tanks has 200cc compressed air not free air.
0.5 l * 200 bar = 100 l (or 3.5 cuf).

They claim the divetime between 5 - 10 min. That would equal 120 - 240 min using an ordinary 12 l tank (about 85cuf). I dont know many divers that can stay down 4h on one tank... and they are aiming for non divers...

I agree 4 hours is stretching it even for someone small with a low SAC. I can get over 2 hours and sometimes close to 3 out of an 80cuft in warm shallow water (about 7'-10'). I usually cut my dive not because I'm low on air but because I'm getting hungry or the parking meter is about to expire.
I could probably get more bottom time but I metal detect and I do a lot of digging and that uses up air. I don't do much kicking though so it may average out. Idk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom