Another "buying my first regulator" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a Mikron and did not like the bubble stream so close to my mask. 20 or so dives and it was on Fleabay.

Thank you for your feedback. If you sold the Mikron on eBay, with what regulator did you replace it?

Hi @Ironborn

You keep asking the same question, the answer is that most or all of us could not tell the difference between good, well tuned regs within rec limits and a reasonable breathing range. I'm perfectly happy with my Scubapro MK25/S600, I would imagine most everyone is happy with the regulator they settled on. You have heard a few complain about the exhaust bubble pattern of the Mikron. I'd bet you could also find folks that are perfectly happy with it. There are many threads based on choosing regulators, I would imagine that you have read them.

Best of luck in your choice, good diving, Craig

Were the bubbles so annoying that you switched to something else? If so, what did you get instead?

Yes, bubbles were VERY annoying, but I also needed a cold water reg. Switched to AquaLung Legend LX Surpreme.

Thank you for the feedback. Have you tried the Aqualung Titan as well? Did that produce annoying bubbles too? Did you find the breathing at depth to be just as easy as it was with the Mikron, or even easier?

Is there any reg that stands out to you, in your personal opinion, as providing easier breathing at depth?

What is at depth for you?

The titan has a great history and is a fairly 'standard' quality reg. Normal exhaust vents for the bubbles. No issues delivering adequate air easily within recreational depths.

Which regs have you tried you didn't like?

Regards,
Cameron

What is at depth for you?

I have found that breathing requires a lot more effort and can become uncomfortable when I get to about 90 feet or so, to the point that it discourages me from doing deeper dives. If possible, I would like to find a regulator that can mitigate that effect.

I have found that breathing requires a lot more effort and can become uncomfortable when I get to about 90 feet or so, to the point that it discourages me from doing deeper dives. If possible, I would like to find a regulator that can mitigate that effect.
That's surprising, not very deep. Maybe it's the current regulator you are using, have you tried others? If you find it difficult at that depth, I wonder how you would find it if you were taxed by more exertion and a higher breathing rate?

I now use a SP Mk25 with a G260 in warm water and a Mk17 with an A700 in cold water.

Atomics are about the best breather's available at any depth. Since you're not scared off by Aqualung MSRP - i.e. "your" price - look at them also - the entire line is pretty lightweight esp. the 2nds as all use some titanium components (more as the price goes up) All Atomic models breathe the same though - the price difference is the materials used.

I have never noticed a breathing change at any depth to 122' with mine. And I've owned a "B" and now a "T2" Since I carry-i=on my regs, I appreciate the few ounces saved.

One other point to consider is that I see more Aqualung or Scubapro dealers in the Caribbean/Central America than Atomic if something breaks on a trip. Something probably comparable to a Micron is the Scubapro Mk21 - I don't know SP 2nds well enough to suggest one but the "G series seem popular.

You can't go wrong with any of them except for the apparent bubble issue with the Micron. On Atomics theres's a wider exhaust tee available for the M1, I'm fairly certain it snaps onto any of them, I've never needed it.

My wife loves hers. We bought her a set from Deep6 but she still uses her mikron as her primary second stage.

My wife loves hers. We bought her a set from Deep6 but she still uses her mikron as her primary second stage.

I did notice that the Mikron seems to be more popular with women - perhaps because it is smaller and lighter? I am a big guy (6'3", 240), so that would not help me, except for the greater convenience of traveling with smaller, lighter gear.

Back
Top Bottom