Another "buying my first regulator" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it's just that I'm biased because the Micra ADJ is a PITA to work on :wink:

It's certainly not the simplest I'll agree with you on that. But it does breathe very nice made even better using the wide exhaust T. G250/156/D400 and Conshelfs are my thing now., much simpler to work on.

I'd bet you could also find folks that are perfectly happy with it.

I also have the Aqualung Mikron reg and the Airsource 3. As with the Zuma BC, I have 100 dives with this combination. Have been very happy.

I have found that breathing requires a lot more effort and can become uncomfortable when I get to about 90 feet or so, to the point that it discourages me from doing deeper dives. If possible, I would like to find a regulator that can mitigate that effect.

Bubble issue: I've never come up and said anything about bubbles being a nuisance, so it hasn't been a factor for me. I looked at pictures I have taken through the years of other divers and some have bubbles in front of their masks and some don't. I don't think that because the divers with Sherwood or ScubaPro regs had bubbles in front of their masks means that's always the case. I have selfies of me with and without bubbles. Body position has a lot to do with it.

Breathing: The Mikron has an adjustment knob which allows you to change your inhalation effort. This could be a plus for you. I have only ever played around with the knob once. Not that it is important to this discussion, but during my one experience of throwing up while below the surface, the Corn Pops were easily disbursed through the reg.

Service: Have had the 1st and 2nd stages rebuilt one time and the power inflator on the Airsource 3 replaced after my last trip. It was sticking on my next to last dive causing the BC to inflate. For my last dive I used the cut off valve (on the Airsource) to manually allow air to enter the BC. Was glad to have that feature.

Can't really speak to comparisons as I have only used rental (without problems) up until 2010 and the Aqualung was my first and only purchase of a bcd and reg with the purpose of traveling light/compact in mind.

I would imagine most everyone is happy with the regulator they settled on.

This is probably why you can't go wrong. Remember on SB, you will get recommendations/advice from people who do 100 dives a year as well as from those that do, like me, 30-35 a year (mostly Caribbean.) Sometimes all of the info you get can be overwhelming and you can start to overthink what you want. I'm not recommending anything but only giving you my experience with the equipment you are considering. Be happy with whatever you get. After spending a few weeks shopping between a SUV and a minivan, we made a decision and are now stuck..I mean excited about our purchase. We actually love it which is good because we'll have it for many years to come.

I'm not familiar with the Titan.

Balanced vs. Unbalanced Second Stages:

When a second stage is mated with a balanced first stage it makes very little difference in performance with either a balanced or unbalanced second stage. Performance-wise, the advantage of a balanced second stage is realized when it is mated with an unbalanced first stage. (MK 2/3/200) The balanced second can compensate somewhat for the lower IP an unbalanced first stage will deliver at lower tank pressures.

Performance aside, here are some of the pluses and minuses of each.

Balanced second stage
Holds tune longer.
Can accommodate a wider variety of intermediate pressures.
The seat last longer (due to a lighter spring pressure when not in use.)

Unbalanced second stage
Seats are less expensive and can be flipped over and used on both sides.
Fewer o-rings makes for a (marginally) cheaper service.

Thank you for the clarification, as these details will facilitate my decision. I had been leaning toward the Mikron, but your explanation makes the Titan seem more appealing than I had initially thought.

I looked at pictures I have taken through the years of other divers and some have bubbles in front of their masks and some don't. I don't think that because the divers with Sherwood or ScubaPro regs had bubbles in front of their masks means that's always the case. I have selfies of me with and without bubbles. Body position has a lot to do with it.

Position is one issue, another I had on my Sherwood was the stock exhaust diverter was short and had a tendency to put bubbles in my face sooner than my other regs when in similar positions. I got a longer, mustache, diverter that directed the bubbles further back under my chin/neck and solved the problem.

Bob

Atomics are about the best breather's available at any depth. Since you're not scared off by Aqualung MSRP - i.e. "your" price - look at them also - the entire line is pretty lightweight esp. the 2nds as all use some titanium components (more as the price goes up) All Atomic models breathe the same though - the price difference is the materials used.

I have never noticed a breathing change at any depth to 122' with mine. And I've owned a "B" and now a "T2" Since I carry-i=on my regs, I appreciate the few ounces saved.

One other point to consider is that I see more Aqualung or Scubapro dealers in the Caribbean/Central America than Atomic if something breaks on a trip. Something probably comparable to a Micron is the Scubapro Mk21 - I don't know SP 2nds well enough to suggest one but the "G series seem popular.

You can't go wrong with any of them except for the apparent bubble issue with the Micron. On Atomics theres's a wider exhaust tee available for the M1, I'm fairly certain it snaps onto any of them, I've never needed it.

Yes, the M1 exhaust T does fit the other Atomic 2nd stages, I've converted several T2 seconds over to it.

If you don't want any bubbles in your face at all, you can either look at Poseidon or Argonaut Kraken. I have a Poseidon Jetstream / Mk3 as well as several Kraken like double hoses from Voit and US Divers - all very fine regulators

If you don't want any bubbles in your face at all, you can either look at Poseidon or Argonaut Kraken. I have a Poseidon Jetstream / Mk3 as well as several Kraken like double hoses from Voit and US Divers - all very fine regulators

I'd love too but it's a financial road I'm scared to go down. I'm only just starting to recover from my DIY journey...one day though for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom