Another choose my first reg thread - Deep6 or XTX50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRCrab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hunting for black Friday deals on my first reg...

Me:
certified 1 year
28 dives
AOW + Nitrox + DrySuit
Local diving in Monterey and generally the US west coast
Travel diving pretty much anywhere from warm to cold at least once per year
Interested in DIR and likely to do Rescue and/or GUE fundamentals within the next year.

Currently own:
Halcyon Traveler Pro
8mm semi-dry
mask, snorkel, fins, lights, computer, smb/reel.

General strategy:
*I'd like a single tank package.
*Primary donate on a 40" hose and secondary/backup on a 22" on a necklace. Simple SPG.
*Fine with Yoke to keep things easy or DIN with Yoke adapter for longevity.
*I'd like something good for cold dirty water so I can take in anywhere anytime.
*I dont mind the idea of shipping my gear out for service. I'm not eager to get into DIY but not opposed either (I'm an MS electrical engineer in aerospace so somewhat technically and mechanically inclined)
*I'm no tech diver, but my interest is peaked enough to at least want to dial in my trim, buoyancy, skills and gear.

Options I'm considering:
1) LDS has Apeks XTX50 for $400. Add a legend octo for $190 and SPG for something like $70 get's me somewhere around $700.

2) Deep6 single tank package. with the current sale and the 5% off through links on this board I'm down below $400.

Questions:
1) Worth it to spend the extra $300 to a) buy down risk of the newer brand, b) have my LDS available to service and c) foster a good relationship with the LDS?
2) Is there any performance or dive experience advantages of the XTX50 over the Deep6?
3) Will the Promate Scuba Diving Regulator DIN to Yoke Adapter work with the Deep 6 DIN first stage?
4) What am I missing? What else should I be looking at? Is there something else I should get before a reg set?
5) Should I just forget it and keep renting till the answer is obvious to me?
6 @deep6) What's your current service fee for your regulator set? You say online that you publish it and it's good for the life of the product, but I cant find it...?

I dive Apeks exclusively well over 18yrs. But I would give Deep 6 the benefit of the doubt especially a big saving of US$300.00.
DRIS did have a Apeks package not too long ago for considerably less than $700.00. Give them a call and see if the offer is still valid.

Called DRIS - They have the old XT50 1st and 2nd for $299. Will package it up with a titan octo for $90. Add an SPG for $80. Hoses for $20 - $500ish out the door. The amazing XT50 1st with two 2nd stages package for <$300 has sold out, unfortunately.

Yes, I am considering two XT50 1st and 2nd stages and building them into a single tank package with a spare first stage that's ready to convert to doubles as I become more obsessed with this sport...More $$ of course and I haven't yet woken up thinking two tanks are better than one...

Questions:
1) Worth it to spend the extra $300 to a) buy down risk of the newer brand, b) have my LDS available to service and c) foster a good relationship with the LDS?
>>Always good to keep a good relationship with the local shop, but I tend to thing the D6 regs (or HOG equivalents) are a pretty good value.

3) Will the Promate Scuba Diving Regulator DIN to Yoke Adapter work with the Deep 6 DIN first stage?
>>Should work just find. The DIN/Yoke discussion has been beaten to death, but if you are talking DIR fundies, or any sort of tech training, you should seriously consider DIN.

4) What am I missing? What else should I be looking at? Is there something else I should get before a reg set?
>>Not in my opinion. I hate renting regs.

5) Should I just forget it and keep renting till the answer is obvious to me?
>>(see above), but you might try to try out both reg sets before you buy, but I doubt you will notice much of a performance difference.

6 @deep6) What's your current service fee for your regulator set? You say online that you publish it and it's good for the life of the product, but I cant find it...?
>>If memory is correct, D6 provides a service kit with each reg for you to carry in case of an emergency need, and I think they offer their first service is free if you mail it in to them. Shoot! So that means you should get 4 years (or 400 dives) before you have to worry about it.

Thanks! Testing both would definitely be preferred. I'm not sure how I could test either at this point (I'm sure plenty of locals have the Apeks, probably less have the Deep6, but I don't think I know anyone with either).

As a side note regarding configuration: I suppose I'm also considering the 7' hose. It would seem that with a 40" hose routed under the arm and without a bend in the attachment to the 2nd stage (like the dive rite XT package), there would be some pull on the second stage while it's in your mouth. With a 7' hose looped around your head, I don't see that being an issue. Of course, I've never been trained in the use of a 7' hose, so I might be my own liability (I recognize there is a 5' hose option, but it seems like that is actually the least streamlined of all options)...

I actually kind of like the 5' hose option and have one of my kids regs set up that way. I have noticed that (in single tank diving) the 7' hose makes it a little challenging for my kids to keep things off the deck/ground when gearing up or switching tanks. The 5' hose allows you to maintain the same 'hose behind the neck' configuration with just a little less hose to deal with. I have also found using a 90* or 120* swivel on your primary 2nd stage helps keep your LP hose closer to your head and more streamlined.

OK. Good to know. Honestly, 7' seems a bit excessive when I know I'm not going to be in mandatory single file exit any time soon...Deep6 doesn't have the option of a 5' hose or 90 or 120deg swivel on their site. Is it easy to switch out to a different swivel?

OK. Good to know. Honestly, 7' seems a bit excessive when I know I'm not going to be in mandatory single file exit any time soon...Deep6 doesn't have the option of a 5' hose or 90 or 120deg swivel on their site. Is it easy to switch out to a different swivel?

For sure.. confirm with your preferred agency/instructor, but I consider a 7' hose mandatory when in a true overhead and you might have to single file out on a line or through a restriction. If that's not the case, then a 5' hose should be fine. I have heard some say the 5' hose is useless, but IMHO, it can allow you to keep your same gear config, just with a little less hose to deal with.

Adding a swivel to your reg is as easy as it gets. You just need a couple open end wrenches, or (better yet) a slim jawed adjustable wrench. Best price I have found for the swivels is at Piranha scuba. (@$12)

Here is a great deal on a top of the line reg set that just popped up here on SB. I am full up on regs or I would be tempted to grab it.

For Sale - Atomic Z2

I just went in for two of the deep6 regs. The deep6 guy is the same guy who started hog.

You'll be hard to find a better value in terms of performance to price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom