Another Day, Another Lousy Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Margaret Webb found an undescribed nudibranch on the crane near Haggerty's yesterday. I made a Dawn Patrol dive today hoping to find the little guy. With the conditions I experienced it would have taken a miracle.

A brown layer of water hovered three feet below the surface. I dropped anchor about ten feet from the crane but had to spend a few minutes finding it. There was nothing but shadows and haze on the bottom with surge kicking up the sand quite a bit.

I looked at every piece of algae on the crane for fifty minutes before giving up and moving on to moral eel photography instead. All of my photos today are grainy due to the dark, dirty water. I'll try again tomorrow and hope for better luck.

Haggertys_ART9884_zpswksujv9j.jpg

Haggertys_ART9887_zps0l9ooliy.jpg

Haggertys_ART9894_zpswjhcrnuf.jpg

Haggertys_ART9889_zpsd6uxjtys.jpg

Haggertys_ART9897_zpsn6hj2ro0.jpg

Haggertys_ART9900_zpsuslrb7uy.jpg

Haggertys_ART9915_zpsw8prvipe.jpg

Haggertys_ART9917_zps0j8ndfz2.jpg

Haggertys_ART9924_zpshl5wofyu.jpg

I love your "lousy dives." :)

BTW, what are those shrimp-like critters called that are always with the morays? There was something that we used to call them but I can't seem to find it anywhere and I don't remember what it was. If I heard it I'd probably remember.

Great moray pix

Thanks, but that doesn't sound like the name I remember (or don't remember). Most likely we simply had an incorrect name for them, but everyone I knew called them the same thing.

It's been a while since I did any shore diving in SoCal. When the state started buying up some of my favorite sites and making access much more difficult, I bought a boat. The boat is long gone and I've been doing mostly vacation diving but would like to start doing some more shore diving again. I looked in my old log book but don't even remember where many of the place are. Can you recommend some places with fairly easy entry? My girlfriend has never gone through the surf so I don't want to freak her out :wink:

Maybe cleaner shrimp?
The only two places on the peninsula with easy entries are Veterans' Park (Vet's) and Cabrillo Beach. Most involve long walks like Marineland, Malaga Cove and RAT Beach. The rest involve goat trail climbing.
I have 25 sites listed in my book Diving the Palos Verdes Peninsula
I may have to begin work on Volumn 2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom