Another DIN question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
In previous threads, some people stated that SP used a common DIN kit. The trident catalog makes a distinction between "old" SP regs and "newer" SP regs, but it failed to indicate which regs they were.

Can a mk17 DIN kit fit a mk25?

And here's a doozy of a question: Can the DIN kit for a MK17 be used on other regs... say an OMS R-251 (and its copies)

In previous threads, some people stated that SP used a common DIN kit. The trident catalog makes a distinction between "old" SP regs and "newer" SP regs, but it failed to indicate which regs they were.

Can a mk17 DIN kit fit a mk25?

And here's a doozy of a question: Can the DIN kit for a MK17 be used on other regs... say an OMS R-251 (and its copies)

I purchased an "old style" Trident din fitting hoping it would work on a Mk5. It would not but did seem to be the same as the Mk10 din fitting (filter installs from the reg side and is held in place by a washer and the sealing HP o-ring). However, while the threads on the connector seemed to be the right size, it was tighter than I was comfortable with trying to screw it into the body. It appeared to me there was simply too much chrome plating on the threads and that was causing me to have to use too much torque at least a turn or 3 before the o-ring seal would be made. Based on a thread started by Zung, it looks like the "new style" is designed to be compatible with the newer SP regs including the Mk25 and Mk17. But the Trident version is really not much cheaper than the SP version.

As far as what other regs a din or yoke retainer will fit, you need to be careful. Just because the thread size is correct does not mean it should work. All the SP 1st stages seem to use the same thread size for the retainer to body connection, yet there are many incompatible differences in terms of thread length and o-ring seal design. In the worst case, you have to consider what is taking the tightening torque and if it is designed to take that torque. Remember the Mk20 yoke/din retainer recall.

That said, I have used a SP universal retainer (designed for most newer SP regs) on a Mk5. The universal retainer supports either a bottom or a side o-ring seal but the length of the threaded connection was about 1mm short. The Mk5 retainer must bottom out in the connection to correctly position the side mounted o-ring and apply the correct torque. I added about 1mm worth of spacers and it seems to be working fine. Without the spacers, the o-ring was pushed into the threaded area and damaged.

An *original* Scubapro DIN kit is a drop-in fit for both the MK17 and the MK25, actually everything from the MK10 up.

The "newer" Trident kit is supposed to fit the same range, but I wouldn't buy it because of the price as awap mentioned, and also because it appears to use a non-SP air filter, which adds up to the cost of servicing. Btw, I still haven't figured out how to remove that filter.

If the original SP kit is available in your area, buy it.

Actually, I wanted to try out the SP DIN assembly to see if I could upgrade my 2 regs (based on a OMS-251). The cost of a SP DIN assembly: 77 dollars.

My LDS, however, was selling unbalanced DIN piston regs (generic, brand-new) for 66 bucks.

Got the 2 DIN regs instead of the assembly. Swapped them out for my yokes, and now my balanced diaphragm regs are DIN, and I've got 2 new spare regs (in addition to my singles reg, stage reg, and utility reg).

Life's good.

Back
Top Bottom