Another diver injured in Gilboa Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hantzu701

Contributor
Reaction score
http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070507/NEWS01/70507013

Article published Monday, May 7, 2007
Another diver injured in Gilboa Quarry

GILBOA, Ohio — A Canadian man was flown to Lima Memorial Hospital after rescue workers were called to the Gilboa Quarry in Putnam County yesterday for the second time in two weeks for a diver in trouble.

Graham Dart, an Ontario resident, was being treated in a hyperbaric chamber yesterday afternoon, according to the hospital’s nursing supervisor.

When rescue workers arrived at the quarry on old U.S. 224 in eastern Putnam County between Ottawa and Gilboa, he was breathing and conscious on the dock, according to the Putnam County sheriff’s office.

I was coming up from my dive just as the diver was being helped out of the water. I don't have details regarding his profile, but he was diving wet in the shallow side of the quarry. He was put on O2 right away, and EMS responded very quickly.

Rumor spread quickly among divers onsite, and I heard at least four versions of what allegedly had happened. Hopefully someone with actual, first-hand knowledge of the incident will chime in with details to facilitate accurate discussion and lessons learned.

Has anyone spoken with Mike? How is he doing through all this?

TheHobster:
Has anyone spoken with Mike? How is he doing through all this?

I spoke with Mike yesterday after EMS had left. He is understandably shaken by recent events. He and Jodi appreciate the encouragement and support many in the dive community have shown.

Fish Whisperer:
Wow... That's pretty deep. Definitely no room for error, or for blowing off a good long safety stop.

Yeah, deep and cold especially this time of year. It gets taken for granted how cold it gets at depth and many don't have the right equipment. I never enjoyed diving there especially "going over the wall".

All my best to the diver and Mike for the recent events.

I was diving in Martha's Quarry, in Lebanon, TN. Max depth, in a trench running through the middle, is around 50' but the thermocline is MURDER!! I was exploring the trench last August, and had to quit because my hands and ears were going numb. Brrrrrr.....

Gezz, Mike was in bad enough mood the weekend after the first incident..more so than usual, I understand why.
Kinda weird that he was diving the shallow side and was put on O2. The deepest I think you can get without going "over the wall" is 70 and that is by the tubes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom