Another DIY V Weight Thread, With Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
A buddy and I made V weights tonight in my garage - our first attempt, and a fun project for a snowy December evening. He had a form made by a metal worker friend of his, based on a sample V weight. The form includes an optional aluminum block that can slide to any spot to make custom lengths (we used a C clamp to hold the block in place).

The set-up included a long sturdy work table with plywood on top to protect it. We had sets of work gloves, eye shields, breathing masks, a propane torch, extra propane, stirring spoon, straining spoon, work towel, a fan to blow the fumes out the garage door, a fire extinguisher, plywood on the floor for protection, Pam cooking spray sprayed inside the form to prevent sticking, a slag bucket for disposing the slag and miscellaneous junk metal pieces, a BBQ for melting the lead, a bucket of tire lead from the local tire shop, a bucket of cold water and a cast iron pan for melting the lead in. We also had extra lighting for good seeing and a heat lamp pointed at us because it was 24 degrees outside.

We melted the lead, poured it into the Pam-sprayed form with the torch waved over the lead while pouring. After a minute for cooling, we dropped the form into the bucket of cold water. The lead fell right out of the form. After adding more lead into the pan between pours (don't want to melt too much lead at once or the pan is too heavy to safely handle), and while waiting for the lead to melt, we dried the inside of the form with the torch. Molten lead must not touch any water!

(Note: The red on the above picture is reflection from the heat lamp, not the color of the hot lead.)
From set-up to clean-up we spent 4 hours making the fifteen V Weights for ourselves and three other divers. Weights weighed from 2 pounds to 10 pounds. Total cost including lead and form was about $100.00.

We still have the finish work to do, but that's for another night.

Only one injury: I dropped one of the weights on my toe. Ouch!!

Becareful of breathing lead fumes in a confined non ventlated space; can and will result in Plumism aka lead poisoning.

I recall the Triton company selling lead weight molds at a very reasonable price, did you first check them out?

sdm

sam miller:
Becareful of breathing lead fumes in a confined non ventlated space; can and will result in Plumism aka lead poisoning.
Good warning. Which is why we had a fan blowing the fumes out of the garage, and why we were wearing those fashionable masks.
sam miller:
I recall the Triton company selling lead weight molds at a very reasonable price, did you first check them out?
Heck no! We wanted to do this ourselves.

V weights are a way to add weight to a backplate. They are used either because placing weight on the plate balances the diver better, or because people prefer to do away with carrying a weight belt.

What the Borg Queen said. V weights work with doubles only, resting between the two tanks. For a single tank, a channel weight - which goes into the front of the BP in the channel - is used.

There are also another reasons
v-weights are easy to use when diving with doubles. placing them at the tanks' bottom put more weight on bottom part of your body so it eliminates falling forward with your head (which happens quite often with doubles). So your gear is better balanced then. These can't be solved with normal weights placed either on a weight belt or harness.
Mania

Great job, Rick....

It looks like there are 3~4 different sizes.

What many lb of each size did you make?

hoosier:
Great job, Rick....

It looks like there are 3~4 different sizes.

What many lb of each size did you make?
If I remember right, 1 2#, 2 4#, 4 5#, 2 6#, 2 8#, 4 10#.

These are half sized, so you can put one or two on, mixing and matching to adjust trim, salt/fresh water and insulation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom