Another fatal record attempt in Lake Garda, Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something I recall from research I did a few years ago, over 50% of people who have attempted to dive deeper than 250 metres have died and only 10% have survived! (note this refers to divers, not dives)

Worth thinking about before attempting something like this I would have thought.

Ok, I admit that a hurricane could be "slightly" more important than posting on scuba board :D I hope you and your family will manage well, and wish you good luck!
I’m came out good. I flew to south Florida to help people that aren’t so good.

Something I recall from research I did a few years ago, over 50% of people who have attempted to dive deeper than 250 metres have died and only 10% have survived! (note this refers to divers, not dives)
I don’t get the math, are 40% still down there, unknown whether they’re alive or dead like Schrödinger’s cat?

Worth thinking about before attempting something like this I would have thought.
See my previous post: Another fatal record attempt in Lake Garda, Italy

Twenty people went deeper than 240m, and "only" 4 died; it's a 20% death rate, not a 50%. If you calculate the fatality rate across dives (and not divers), it becomes slightly more than 10% (35 dives have been done below 240m). Not many changes if you consider 250m instead of 240 (only five dives have been done between 240 and 250 dives).

Data here: Deep diving - Wikipedia

I am also interested in knowing where the 40% of divers who did not die and did not survive are :)

Everyone knows how to hike,
I have to disagree with that. I hike often on the mountains near my house and almost always see groups woefully unprepared (no water, food, map or compass for an 8 hour hike that is out of cell phone coverage after the first 45 minutes)

The local search and rescue group is constantly pulling unprepared hikers off the nearby mountains who strayed off trail and got lost.

The scuba divers at the local shore dives (lots of beginners) in general are much more prepared and trained for their dives than the average hiker is prepared for a hike.

I don’t get the math, are 40% still down there, unknown whether they’re alive or dead like Schrödinger’s cat?
Sorry, should have read 50% have died and only 10% have survived without problems. The other 40% were bent or other injuries.

See my previous post: Another fatal record attempt in Lake Garda, Italy

Twenty people went deeper than 240m, and "only" 4 died; it's a 20% death rate, not a 50%. If you calculate the fatality rate across dives (and not divers), it becomes slightly more than 10% (35 dives have been done below 240m). Not many changes if you consider 250m instead of 240 (only five dives have been done between 240 and 250 dives).

Data here: Deep diving - Wikipedia

I am also interested in knowing where the 40% of divers who did not die and did not survive are :)
See my previous correction. Does not refer to Lake Garda.

See my previous correction. Does not refer to Lake Garda.
Ok, got it. Anyway, neither was I referring to lake Garda. The data I cited is about ALL dives below 240m ever performed. Two only options: your statistics are not accurate, or Wikipedia is not :) But even Wikipedia's statistics are not very encouraging and promising... To me, it sounds a bit crazy, except for some specific people who manage to arrive there with some specific training and support (and, even in these cases, it is still quite borderline for me).

Touch and go dives are pretty pointless in my view, regardless if they are for world records or personal bests. That is true if the dive is breath-held, open or closed circuit bounce dives, or full saturation. Bottom time that is not long enough, or the diver is capable enough, to accomplish something that a ROV can't doesn't justify the effort, cost, or risk.

I have been well below 900'/276m in sat and watched endless hours of live video deeper than that. Other than much higher WOB, it isn't much different than the 200-300' range unless you are working or doing research.

There has been some value in recent years to deep apnea dives that augmented hyperbaric research, but even that is yielding diminishing returns today.

Apnea diving is a sport at least with very few deaths or injuries even in the deepest categories and has some merit as that (as long as you find sports important, which to be fair most people using forums don't)
Bounce diving on a rebreather is a chicken contest looking at who will swerve back to the surface first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom