Another First Trip to Australia - Leaving soon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of Cairns there is only Green Island and Fitzroy Island that are classified as Outer Reef. Neither are great. Green can be quite expensive as you are have to get there via ferry, then book a dive around the fringing Reef.

Further north (close to Cooktown) is Lizard Island which will have the best access to the Northern Reef and Cod Hole, but again you have to fly there and is an expensive resort. Best diving of the Reef up there though.

Going south of Cairns you have quite a few to check out but you are moving away from the Outer Reef.

Lady Elliott (closest to Brisbane as classified as still being the GBR marine park zone), Heron Island (still 2 hours to get there though), Lady Musgrave and Great Keppel are the ones that still offer pretty good dives within the Marine Park. Magnetic Island is out of Townsville but its terrible diving from my experience with very low visibility and little marine life unless you get a boat ride away from the island itself.

Heron Island is outer reef, good diving, nice resort. Two hours to get there, but since you are only doing it at the start and end, it is bearable. Other than that, Whitsundays are good.

Yes, to get best diving you really need to do a liveaboard.

Should have asked Scuba Stan, but does your wife snorkel at all? If she does then I would look at live aboard as most economical and best experience option.

If she wants to dive but not certified then some trips offer intro dives on board. There are 2 day 1 night trips where she could go and swim whilst you dive. Look at Ocean Quest or Kangaroo Explorer for 1 night trips. Very nice sailing trip called Coral Sea Dreaming that offers diving as a side option, but great sailing trip to Outer Reef, and only 18 people.

But do compare the Island options as its a totally different experience and I am sure your wife would want a say :)

Very good info to get me started.
It is always a balancing act to find a nice place to stay for my wife with great diving for me. I am hoping to add this onto a sightseeing trip. Since this may be my only time diving the GBR, I want to get a great experience. An experience that I might get at Palau or Cozumel or Fiji. I looked at the Heron website and their 10 best dives didn't look that exciting. Is there one of those islands that would give me that experience without two hour boat rides each way every day. In the Maldives I made the mistake of picking the hotel first and didn't get the best dive experience. If that doesn't exist I may have to send her home and dive on my own on a LOB at the end but that is not my preference.
Aquapro, you seem to be more knowledgeable than two local US dive travel agents. What would be a best phone number or email to contact you

We are thinking of coming in April. What will the weather be like there. Am I better off diving up North at that time?

I am based in Cairns so can help out a fair bit with the far north Queensland area. Have dived a lot on the east coast and there's are some great posts from others with probably more up to date info on the islands I am sure.

Happy for you to phone or email. You an get in touch via our web site and I will PM you.

In the meantime here is some info for the Far North Queensland diving and weather. I also post up 3 day Reef Outlooks on our Facebook page

Realistically, I don't think you would be able to find Palau/Fiji level of diving that is close to shore or island on the GBR. You would want it be on a coral sea liveboard trip.

MA:
Realistically, I don't think you would be able to find Palau/Fiji level of diving that is close to shore or island on the GBR. You would want it be on a coral sea liveboard trip.

Agreed

Back
Top Bottom