Another garvin hook mystery resolved

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A while back, I asked how it was possible to use a garvin hook with a Jon line with the line on a reel. Jim Laplanta? responded that it's not suppose to be. It's only used on heavy line.

Another mystery involving garvin hooks is why there is a bent back section on the end of the hook. Originally, I thought it had something with using the hook with the line on the reel. Curiosity got the better of me and I asked Xsscuba who sells garvin hooks.

The answer is it does nothing functionally and is just there as an artifact of the manufacturing process. Garvin hook mystery number 2 solved.

well close ---- Hank Garvin was a good friend of mine and I was around when he first designed the Garvin Hook -- it was originally manufactured by Aqua Explorers in NY. The Garvin Hook was designed to be used with a Jon Line (named by Jon Hulbert) for doing stops while on an anchor line. Most of not all of Hank's diving was done off large boats in the NY area where boats were "tied in" to the wreck with heavy anchor rode. The Hook was designed to be easily handled with heavy gloves and to accommodate rode diameter of various sizes. The loop at the end of the hook was so that it could be easily re-stowed in a pouch or pocket without puncturing anything. In practice it is the perfect device for putting a Jon line on an anchor rode.

Cheers

Attachments

• HL424-Garvin-Hook.jpg
    HL424-Garvin-Hook.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 187
An interesting perspective.

The hook shaped end can still catch on things while being stowed or removed. Is there a reason why was this not designed to be closed?

Last edited:
Interesting. I didn't know it was called a Garvin Hook.

I figured the hook was to wrap your line around to keep the hook from falling off the line if surge pushed you and put slack in the line.

Like this (subbing corrugated hose for an anchor line):

2017-03-01%2020.29.27.jpg

I've never used it like that. Just slap it on the anchor chain and clip off to my harness while I'm hanging out.

Think this goes in the overthinking bin.

well close ---- Hank Garvin was a good friend of mine and I was around when he first designed the Garvin Hook -- it was originally manufactured by Aqua Explorers in NY. The Garvin Hook was designed to be used with a Jon Line (named by Jon Hulbert) for doing stops while on an anchor line. Most of not all of Hank's diving was done off large boats in the NY area where boats were "tied in" to the wreck with heavy anchor rode. The Hook was designed to be easily handled with heavy gloves and to accommodate rode diameter of various sizes. The loop at the end of the hook was so that it could be easily re-stowed in a pouch or pocket without puncturing anything. In practice it is the perfect device for putting a Jon line on an anchor rode.

Cheers

Hats off to Mr Garvin, if he was as sick of looking for stainless steel rod as I was, he probably did the same thing I did and used a J Valve pull rod. The eye was already formed but just needed an extra wrap, a few bends and kinks and viola. The end hook was where the original J Valve rod hooked through the J valve

Attachments

• 20170515_134103.jpg
    20170515_134103.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 147
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom