Another needing recs for dive operators in Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meredith78

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know I am far from the first to ask this question, but I am bringing it up again because I still feel like I haven't read too many personal accounts of the MANY, many dive operators on Oahu. I am a fairly new diver (15 dives) looking to increase my experience and possibly do my advanced open water training while in Oahu this February. I will also be travelling with a friend who'd like to do a discovery dive.

If this helps, here are the operators I've checked out:

Rainbow Scuba
Oahu Diving
Aaron's Dive shop
Ocean Concepts
Island Divers
Diamond Head Divers

Can anyone give a thumbs-up or a hell-no to any of these operators?

Thanks!

My only experience is Island Divers in Hawaii Kai. They are close to home so I never bothered with anyone else, not to mention I am quite satisfied with them.

Part of who you go with may be affected by where you stay, for the convenience of it. It is an island, but not so easy to get from one side to the other quickly.

Thanks, I checked with Kaimana and unfortunately they will be off-island when I'm there. That's one rec for Rainbow though, and one for Island Divers. Thanks!

Thanks, I checked with Kaimana and unfortunately they will be off-island when I'm there. That's one rec for Rainbow though, and one for Island Divers. Thanks!

Rainbow cater's more to the Japanese tourist. I also dive with island divers a lot, just did a 2 tank night dive last night with them, very good guys there. Also you can look into honolulu scuba company we dive with them also, both ops do waikiki pickups.

Try the new kid on the block
ocean legends
no crowded boats, super friendly, not stuff dive masters up your/////

Ocean Concepts offers waikiki pickup, but it's a long ride to their boat which is docked in Waianae Harbor. I've trained and dove with them and they do fine for me. Did a 3-tank dive with them last month and it was really good.

Peace,
Greg

Lets go thru the list you posted;

1st morning dives around the island are going to be 2tank dives with a deep dive followed by a shallow reef, usually midday dives are going to two shallow locations for the less experienced/Intro diver.

Rainbow scuba -Does dive japanese customers but for someone to say they cater to them may be looking at there company wrong. They dive out of the South side (Honolulu) calmer waters and better reefs on that side especially for the intro diver.

Diamond Head Divers -Has a nice boat and usually great crew to help you and your Intro friend. Again diving out of the South side.

Oahu diving and Island divers are going to be going out of the Southeast (Hawaii Kai) area. I personally would never bring a Intro diver to that side and someone with less experience like your self may not enjoy the swells, Currents and unexpected drift dives.

But for your advance course you would get the most types of diving out of this area.

Aarons and Ocean concepts would be diving out of the west side (Waianae) with the conditions over this past winter the north has been getting really big surf and this is wrapping around to the west side making the shallow dives crappy to say the least. You would probably see the Humpbacks on this side better than anywhere else.

Sorry for the long reply, enjoy your dives.

Back
Top Bottom