Another needing recs for dive operators in Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

visibility on the west side has been over 200 ft lately,,,,

How do you measure vis? Horizontally right?

OK, did a quick search looking for the length of the Mahi; very interesting results:

Aaron's list's it as 165'

Oahu Diving - 176'

Sport Diver Magazine - 176'

Ocean Concepts - 185'

Frommer's - 185'

101 Things To Do (Oahu) - 186' (they call this and the Corsair WWII wrecks?)

Rainbow Scuba - 189'

DiveSiteDirectory (UK?) - 197'

If you search for USS Scrimmage we find the original length before the cable wheel I think:

History Central - 184'6"

Wikipedia - 184'6"

ibiblio - 184'6"

So now we are looking for pictures that show a little more than the entire length of the Mahi, at near deck level. I have to go dive, but I will return later with Mahi pics that I can find on my hard drives!

Last edited:
YOUR CONFUSED

Yes you are right, I got the length wrong; they call it 186 feet. Thanks :)
101 Things To Do Oahu:
Dive On A WWII Wreck

SCUBA divers who are looking for something different will drool at the possibility of going down deep to explore a shipwrecked navy vessel or a crashed fighter plane. The Mahi, a 186-foot U.S. Navy Minelayer built in 1939 for WWII service, is sunk in 90 feet of water off Oahu's west side. It's located on the island's leeward coast, a 10 to 15 minute ride from Wai'anae Harbor.

The Mahi has been voted the fourth best wreck dive in the U.S. by Rodale's SCUBA Diving Magazine readers. Three decks and a pilot house, located at depths between 58 and 78 feet, provide a safe penetration area.

The wreck of the Gull Wing Corsair fighter plane, which crashed into the ocean in 1945, lies in waters off the east side of Oahu. This is a rare dive because the plane hasn't been salvaged. It's completely intact with the canopy open, propeller bent and instruments clearly visible at a depth of 105 feet. Aqua Zone and Captain Bruce's are among Oahu dive companies that offer regular trips to explore wreck sites.

Well I thought I had plus hundred foot vis pics of the Mahi but if I do they are on old non responsive windows hard drives. These are probably less than 100' vis days.

Bet it looks cool with +200' vis.

Those photos look very good, 100+ ft days are few are far between on OAHU. Even if the vis is good on the deeper dives you still have the Shallow dives where the sand is all churned up in the water. I am not in any way putting down the west side, but this season we haven't dove many shallows or even shore sites because of the crazy swells on the west.

I have about 50 dives each with Rainbow and Island divers. Rainbow is great, mainly on the Waikiki wrecks. I did my advanced with them several years ago (and I am not Japanese). Rainbow has their own boats, so they can provide a variety of dive locations. Never had a problem with either. I also have several dives with Captain Bruce's on the west side. Very good service, and they feed you well.

Mike Tangney DM

Aarons does charter boats that operate out of Waianae and Hawaii Kai. If you feel like experiencing sites on both 'coasts', you can ask the staff to book you for a couple of days diving: one on Captain Scotty's "Hapa", which leaves from Waianae, and another on the "Honey", Captain John's boat which sails from Hawaii Kai. There are lovely dives on both coasts. If you're staying in Waikiki, you can asked to be collected from your hotel. If you have a hire car and prefer to drive yourself, you can meet at the shop or even make your way to the harbor and meet folk there.

Have fun!

Lets go thru the list you posted;

1st morning dives around the island are going to be 2tank dives with a deep dive followed by a shallow reef, usually midday dives are going to two shallow locations for the less experienced/Intro diver.

Rainbow scuba -Does dive japanese customers but for someone to say they cater to them may be looking at there company wrong. They dive out of the South side (Honolulu) calmer waters and better reefs on that side especially for the intro diver.

Diamond Head Divers -Has a nice boat and usually great crew to help you and your Intro friend. Again diving out of the South side.

Oahu diving and Island divers are going to be going out of the Southeast (Hawaii Kai) area. I personally would never bring a Intro diver to that side and someone with less experience like your self may not enjoy the swells, Currents and unexpected drift dives.

But for your advance course you would get the most types of diving out of this area.

Aarons and Ocean concepts would be diving out of the west side (Waianae) with the conditions over this past winter the north has been getting really big surf and this is wrapping around to the west side making the shallow dives crappy to say the least. You would probably see the Humpbacks on this side better than anywhere else.

Sorry for the long reply, enjoy your dives.

Right now I'm going to be doing my AOW dives with Reef Pirates. I assume this too is the Hapa? Sean said they share a boat with Kaimana. I would like to try a dive on another part of the island too, if time allows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom