Another new guy, just signed up for PADI e-learning....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k2rider

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just thought I'd stop in and tell all you regulars how awesome you are in 99.9% of your forum responses. I'm on alot of other boards and this board has the least amount of trash talk I've seen. I'm been a 'lurker' but just signed up here today as I'm getting ready to start the PADI e-learning process this weekend. Then I'm set-up to do my certification dives with "Scuba Luv Maui / Tiny Bubbles" in Maui this November. I've done the "Discover Diving" twice before in Hawaii and had a good time.

I love snorkeling and I've wanted to get get certified for many years. If for no other reason, I just want to be able to stay down for an extended period of time. I'm sure my opinion will change after getting officially certified but I was totally happy loitering at the 30' depth level with the Dicover Diving...loved A bay on the Big Island. Once certified, I expect to be a "vacation diver" in Hawaii, Mexico and the Caribbean.

I'm open to ANY advice people can give me as it regards to successfully navigating through the e-learning process.

The only advice I ever give people just starting out is to learn the material well, not just well enough to pass the tests. It will make the experience all that much better by being able to understand everything the the instructor says without asking for clarification.

I'm open to ANY advice people can give me as it regards to successfully navigating through the e-learning process.

The stuff itself is easy enough to learn but always look for the reason *why*.... why are they asking that question? What is the take-home message? What's the bigger issue at hand?

Good luck.

R..

Just thought I'd stop in and tell all you regulars how awesome you are in 99.9% of your forum responses. I'm on alot of other boards and this board has the least amount of trash talk I've seen.
You have to love our flame free Green Zone

Once certified, I expect to be a "vacation diver" in Hawaii, Mexico and the Caribbean.
Nothing wrong with that but really consider diving your local waters. SoCal has some amazing diving.

Rob (Diver0001) is right. Find the reason *why*. If the e-book doesn't answer it , write the question down. If you haven't already signed up, you'll be provided with a store contact. Don't hesitate to use it.

Most of all...enjoy, good luck and welcome.

I imagine e learning would've been the same had I done it back then. Just like the old way, re-read the stuff and study it as much as you can before meeting with the instructor.

Like others have said, if you don't find the "why" while learning, don't be afraid to ask. One thing I really liked about the book that I had, and I'm sure it might be different than that of the electronic version - is that in the intro, they stated that there was no "Stupid Question" basically (My book was from PADI, so yours might be a different certification agency). In other words, if you don't see the practicality of something, ask why and there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for all the input. Even though I'm doing the e-version, I'm going to buy the PADI book this weekend and read it as well before I get over to Hawaii. I fully understand that there are some serious potential hazards out there...just reading some of the stories on here about drift diving (and drifting away) had me on full alert!!

How come you don't certify in San Diego? That way when you go to Hawaii, you already have your C-Card and it was in water that was more dificult than where you will vacation. I did my certification with a Local shop and had my certification dives in Monterey. Moving from a 7mm with hood and gloves and considerably more weight to warm water diving in Cozumel was a snap. I did wear a 2mm shorty there but it was really not needed as the water was 84 degrees!

If you already have your C-card once you go on vacation, you can spend more time diving while on that vacation.

Although I loved the warm water, I can't wait to dive in the kelp forests again! I am two weeks dry today! I need to get wet!

Seriously consider local diving, for a variety of reasons. First off, you've got regional diving that's world class. Second, getting into a local diving scene gives you access to a lot of people to learn from. And third, diving is something you enjoy more, the better you get at it, and you don't get good at it without doing it frequently.

I don't have a problem with getting certified in Maui. Warm and clear is not bad for first dives. But if you enjoy your class and enjoy the Hawaiian diving, come home and talk to a local shop about doing a Discover Local Scuba experience with a DM. The kelp forests of Southern California are amazing places. (Google "Yukon images" and see some other spectacular sights!)

I have to add to add to what the others have already said. The other advantage of getting certified locally is that the theory is fresh in your mind as you work through the pool sesssions it seems to make sense easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom