• MARES M2

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • SUUNTO Vyper

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • CRESSI Archimedes II

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Spartan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey guys, im really new to scuba nad i just have one last peice of gear left to buy: a scuba computer

i know that there are dozens of threads out there dealing with computers but they do not have the info i need.

there are a few computers i have checked out and like but i would apreciate other divers input (experience, preferances, what you like, what you dont like, etc.)

here are the computers i have my eye on

MARES nemo wide
MARES M2
SUUNTo vyper
CRESSI archimedes II

i am leaning toward the nemo air since it is upgradable, but i would like other divers advice

thank you for your time

Out of my very little experience I would strongly recommend you to get a wrist version. Makes life much easier. You need to look at your pressure gauge much rare than at timer and depth gauge especially in low visibility environment where the only reference you can see are particles in the water. I dive with console and it is very inconvenient.

You need to determine what you want in a dive computer. Are you just doing basic recreational scuba diving? Do you want to get into more advanced diving? tech diving? multi gas diving?
All of these are going to determine what you want.....
All four you listed are good computers. Some shops will let you rent computers. Try some different ones out. I wish I could tell you what to get, but you just kinda have to find what works for you. Just like all the other peices of equipment you bought. They all have pros and cons...
Good Luck!!!

Out of my very little experience I would strongly recommend you to get a wrist version. Makes life much easier.

I agree. You have more flexibility if you want to go diving with only part of your equipment (e.g., added on to business trip). Plus, I like have it on my wrist as I find it easiest to see than on my hose.

I have two Suunto's (Vyper & D9) like them -- good conservative algorithm. However, I haven't dove with any of the other brands you mentioned so I can't give a comparison.

thank you for the very quick replies.

I plan to do recreational diving in mostly quarries and other fresh water areas such as creeks and lakes. mostly low viz.

i will only get a wrist computer since it is easer to find your wrist than a hose. especially with 7mm of neoprene!

Last edited:
Make sure its NITROX compatable - you will likely want this feature in the future
Sunto is way too consevative for me - had one; got rid of it after 10 dives and went back to Oceanic

You can dive a more liberal computer conservatively; can't w/ a Sunto or other w/ more conservative algorythm

My Aeris wrist w/ NITROX cap. was $179 on sale from Divers Direct

i bought an oceanic atom 2 w/ transmitter and love it. i dove with a vyper and liked its interface, its rather easy to learn(was a shop rental). the atom 2 is a little harder to learn, but i like the algorithm a lot more. with the oceanic/aeris you can change how conservative they are, and cannot with the sunto unfortunately.

with the oceanic/aeris you can change how conservative they are, and cannot with the sunto unfortunately.

Not true, at least with mine (Vyper I).
Admittedly, you have a choice between "very conservative", "extremely conservative" and "dude, are you sure you want to dive?" - but you can change it :wink:

That said, I love mine - and I'd rather dive with a conservative algo anyway.

I'd echo the recommendation for a wrist computer, although that will mean you give up air integration unless you are willing to buy a unit with a transmitter -- that's expensive, and transmitters can be temperamental. It has never been an issue for me, because I'm happy to check my SPG at intervals, but some people really like air integration (my husband is one of them).

I would also concur that Nitrox capability is a reasonable thing to look for in a first computer, even if you are not currently diving Nitrox.

Another thing to consider is logging software. The Suunto interface is okay, but I like the Uwatec/Aladin software much better. It allows you to record more information, and it's all searchable. You can also put in photographs and the like, so your page on a given dive really becomes a record of it!

I have used a Cobra, a Mosquito, a Vytec, an Aladin Tec 2g and a Liquivision. Although the Liquivision is the best computer, it's ridiculously expensive for a new diver. The Aladin was a nice piece of gear, though, and without air integration, it is not unreasonably priced.

I suggest that you check what make of computer your buddies will be using and go for a model from that brand. That way you'll all be using the same or similar algorhythm, and no-one ends up with 10mins ND time and a buddy on deco.

Personnally I think a more conservative computer is a good thing.

Rupert

Back
Top Bottom