Another newby asking for help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff,
I'm a bit newer a diver then you and not quite sure what you are going for but I thought I'd speak up for the Gekko computer, it's cheap and easy. I used it's big AI brother, the Cobra, as a rental for a weekend with no instructions and with a little fumbling was able to work it out. The Gekko is similar, but no air integration, CHEAPER, console or wrist mount, and "no PC download" (supposedly you can download with a hack). I dove with my Gekko days ago no problem, loved it and finally sat down today to read the book and can't wait to try all the new stuff I learned.

(before everyone gets after me for diving without knowing the gear, I first pool dove the Cobra, and talked with shop people and dive instructors to at least make sure the thing wasn't on nitrox, set the time, get the basics etc)

jefm

I'd like to say thanks VERY much to everyone who has replied to my original post. Each and every message contained at least one (and often more than one) tidbit of very useful and important considerations regarding dive computers. I am going to try to integrate everyones input and begin the 'search'... Again, thanks very much!

By the way - if anyone lives in/near the Philadelphia, PA area, and knows which regional dive shop carries the largest selection of dive computers that I can check out, please let me know! Thanks!

Best,
Jeff

As for shops, I'd recommend one of the bigger name net stores - Leisure Pro, Scuba.com, Divers Direct. They are reputable, and "factory authorized" for the brands they carry. They also routinely have sales with awesome deals that no LDS will likely be able to come close to.

I agree with TSandM on the wrist vs hose issue, I also find it far more convenient than grabbing for a hose to check depth and air. That said, my wife HATES it (my Elite T3) and opted for the Aeris Atmos AI - big numbers/easy to read, will support Nitrox when she's ready - and uses a retractor attached to her BC to keep the hose from dangling/dragging and making it easy to find.
As for compression at depth, I've dove my T3 from bare arms to 7 mil from 30' to 120' and my wetsuit has never been compressed enough to make it anywhere close to loose enough to come off - I've never even felt compelled to tighten it down a notch using the strap that came with it. That said, I've seen a lot of divers post how much they like the boot/bungie mount and since I haven't tried it I won't knock it.

BTW - if I got a little wordy and you missed it, I'm recommending the Atmos AI for a mid-range DC (and there are definitely deals on these out there) as a solid choice for a hose mounted computer that has room for you to grow as a diver - as weird as that might sound coming from someone with loads of room to grow as a diver (and otherwise, at least according to my SO ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom