Another rig configuration Education Session Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveDaddyDale

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Tobin;

I spoke on the phone with you today regarding configuring a singles rig. I gave you some information, but was distracted from full attention by unexpected work activities. I apologize for repeating myself here.

I am an older cat (60 :cool2:), and have only about 25 dives (all warm freshwater Texas lakes). I usually dive in swimsuit and rashguard but sometimes ( 3X per year) wear my 5mm wetsuit. I am 5'10" and 200lbs.

By far the most available tank to me in my area (Dallas, TX) is the AL80 but I am considering purchasing a steel tank.

If I stay with rental AL80's for the time being, do you recommend the SS plate?

On the other hand, if I decide to purchase a steel tank, do you recommend the kaydex plate?

One of my concerns with the heavier SS plate is that I have been used to wearing a jacket bc for my entire diving history and I have grown accustomed to having that great vertical support at the surface and i am concerned with struggling to keep afloat especially if I am supporting a non-responsive or compromised diver as well as myself.

Wouldn't the heavier SS plate make resting at the surface even more difficult?

Thank you for your advice,

Tobin;

I spoke on the phone with you today regarding configuring a singles rig. I gave you some information, but was distracted from full attention by unexpected work activities. I apologize for repeating myself here.

I am an older cat (60 :cool2:), and have only about 25 dives (all warm freshwater Texas lakes). I usually dive in swimsuit and rashguard but sometimes ( 3X per year) wear my 5mm wetsuit. I am 5'10" and 200lbs.

By far the most available tank to me in my area (Dallas, TX) is the AL80 but I am considering purchasing a steel tank.

If I stay with rental AL80's for the time being, do you recommend the SS plate?

On the other hand, if I decide to purchase a steel tank, do you recommend the kaydex plate?

One of my concerns with the heavier SS plate is that I have been used to wearing a jacket bc for my entire diving history and I have grown accustomed to having that great vertical support at the surface and i am concerned with struggling to keep afloat especially if I am supporting a non-responsive or compromised diver as well as myself.

Wouldn't the heavier SS plate make resting at the surface even more difficult?

Thank you for your advice,

As per our conversation today; If you are using a 5mm suit or less, and a negative steel tank, the ballast provided by a Stainless Steel plate is likely to over weight you. That makes the Kydex plate a better choice.

OTOH with buoyant al 80's you will benefit from the ballast provided by a SS plate.

Comfort at the surface is mostly a function of proper weighting. When weighted properly the BP&W diver needs only a puff of gas in their wing. This gas will be behind your head.

Unlike most jacket / vest bc's a true hogarthian harness includes a crotch strap. That means when you inflate the wing and the rig rises you will too.

Tobin

Thanks. As soon as I decide wether I am going AL or Steel, I will be speaking with you again.

---------- Post added June 6th, 2013 at 08:27 PM ----------

Tobin;

Just placed my order for my rig with a 27lb wing. Have been reading more data and ask, "did I get too much wing"?

---------- Post added June 6th, 2013 at 08:46 PM ----------

Tobin, sorry if I double posted this. I ordered my rig from you today; SS Plate, HOG rig w GHA and a 27Lb wing. Diving mostly shallow (30-60ft), freshwater warm water with minimum exposure protection (skin and 3mm shorty)...did I get too much wing?

Back
Top Bottom