Another sad scam........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

betsyinczm

Contributor
Reaction score
Last night I went with some friends to Bianca's on the square where they serve the famous bucket beers. We had 2 buckets, a pizza and some guacamole..........when the bill came it was too much and we looked at it more closely, while preparing to leave a 20% tip. It was itemized (no problem there) BUT at the bottom was a 15% charge, which did NOT claim to be a tax, thank god, and did NOT claim to be a gratuity either. It was just THERE. To add insult to injury, they had a rubber stamp stamped on the bottom of the bill which said "suggested tip"......with a blank space to be filled out by the waiters............and THERE was an additional 10% filled into that space..........in other words, we were charged 15% and then asked for another 10% on top of the total bill PLUS the 15%.............so not only are we now paying 25%, we are also being asked to pay a tip ON the tip!!!.............

The waiters are lovely and when I questioned this, they were very mortified and said that they were aware that this had started and it was the decision of the owner, who I went inside to talk to. He just laughed and said that he needed to do that because of those who leave no tips. I pointed out that he was basically asking for double tips and tricking people........and he laughed more............our nice waiter actually followed us out and gave me a hug and said he was sorry, which tells me that maybe SOME folks have figured this out and are now leaving nothing since they have already been charged...........too bad, since they probably would have left more. I feel sorry for the waiters, who are sweet............and a gal in my group took it upon herself to go around to all the full tables and inform them that there was a 15% charge built in..........(I missed that part since I was talking to the owner inside, but good for her!)

Just a heads up on yet another sad situation.........PLEASE read your bills, because this may be happening at other places as well. AGAIN--there is no tax on food and you should be AWARE if they are already charging you the gratuity!!

Lately I feel ashamed to live here and after almost 19 years, I hate feeling like that............Betsy

I love Cozumel and Cancun, the whole tipping thing gets very annoying, I tip when I feel like it and what I feel like is deserving, if someone has a problem with that I go somewhere else. That said, I like it in Europe and Thailand where a tip is not necesary, If there is exceptional service above and beyond the call of duty I will tip regardless.
In Cozumel I have seen ugly scenarios over tipping, it ruined the day for us to hear that crap!!

Judy.........someone else just asked me that and I answered that I don't really know but am guessing that it is NOT the waiters who work so hard..............based on their giving me secret thumbs up for talking to the owner.........so my GUESS and it is only a guess, is that the bogus "suggested" tip must be for the waiters...........and when folks figure out they have already been charged and leave no tip, then the waiters may end up with nothing...........again---I do not know, but the whole thing just makes the island look bad and this is one of many complaints about many establishments..........I never wanted to believe any of the stories that people have reported about being scammed, but this time, I was there.............and I also told the owner that he made a big mistake since three of us at the table are on the forums regularly and the word would get out...........like I said--he laughed at me................oh well............Betsy

Good for you. I have always been one of those people who would have just said nothing. Last time we were there we got the gas pump scam. My sister was driving (and paying) and caught it. Its funny how one incident out of 100's can taint your view.

Wonder what the owner would do if you crossed out his 15% unaccounted for check line item, retotalled the bill and left just that amount on the table, handing a propina to the waiter directly? If his answer was that they are adding 15% because people don't tip enough, tell him you are tipping so no need for the automatically added amount, but thanks for the suggestion...

Is there an organization on Cozumel which would be the equivalent to the Better Business Bureau in the US? Or maybe a tourist's bureau where you could complain about local business practices?

GREAT idea!!............and yeah, the "suggestion" thing is annoying!!............will try that next time IF there is a next time............Betsy

Garrabo--------missed your post............and yes there is and maybe I'll be brave and go report this situation....funny that that office is located upstairs from the restaurant we are talking about!!....stay tuned..........Betsy

I did that once in Tulsa OK - where the 15% was added onto every check in a group as it often done, but got lousy service. Just took it off.

The amount you owe is to be covered on the menu. This 15% add-on plus tip is indeed a scam for the unsuspecting.

It's good to check those tickets, and always have small bills handy to pay what you feel fair without hoping for change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom