Another sad scam........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowboyneal:
Sounds like a new RWLI* : Make the Whole World Speak English Now!

*Right Wing Lunatic Initiative
Can we start with the Brits? They're challenging sometimes. :D

I remember an old joke/observation: Someone who speaks 3 or more languages is a polyglot, someone who speaks 2 languages is bilingual, and somone who speaks one language is American.

Mi español es muy malo, pero yo intento.

CharlieSierra:
That being said, a scam is a scam is a scam regardless of the country and, if caught, I deal with it as appropriately as I can with my initial reaction being to see if it's simply a mistake. If it's an obvious attempt to take me for money that isn't owed, and I don't go to a local jail over it, I simply don't pay the extra amount and do what Besty did and tell everyone I can. Chris

Agreed 100%

That being said, a scam is a scam is a scam regardless of the country and, if caught, I deal with it as appropriately as I can with my initial reaction being to see if it's simply a mistake. If it's an obvious attempt to take me for money that isn't owed, and I don't go to a local jail over it, I simply don't pay the extra amount and do what Besty did and tell everyone I can. In about 6 more weeks we can sit down at an establishment across from Bianca's (Casablanca?), hoist our drinks, and thumb our noses at them if you like - either way, I'll be on vacation in Cozumel, for which I've saved up just enough to eat, sleep, dive, ... and tip. In the meantime I feel this is exactly what these types of forums are for - to provide the unknowing with a little insight. Thanks, Betsy!

Chris[/QUOTE]

Hi Chris......ummmmm.......this is going to sound like a broken record and I am NOT one of those complainers who make scenes by the way, but there have been many reports of the Casa Blanca place ACROSS from Bianca's being guilty of padding the bills!!.......hahhaha........this is second hand info from another forum and I hate to sound like some kind of nutcase since MY experience was at Bianca's and I have never set foot in Casa Blanca........but that is what I read. SO---my new mission (and I don't go out much at all!!) is to find an HONEST place on the square for people watching, cheap beers, NO tax, and NO service charge unless they SAY that!!........wish me luck!!.......it's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it.....Betsy

Just to throw in one scam they applied to us in Coz a few weeks ago.
We were travelling as a group of about 14 and the taxi (vans) from the resort to the ferry was included in the travel arrangements.
Well when we got to the ferry, in spite of our protests that the agency was paying the fare, the driver charged us US$1 for each case/piece of hand luggage and you all know how many bags a van full of drivers carries so this was a fair sum. :wink:
We made a note of the number plates and later when we met up with the local organizer we questioned this. She got really mad and stormed off making some cell phone calls.
10 minutes later she came up with our money and saying that those drivers had been black-listed by her agency.

Christi:
Amen...it is sad and it is humiliating to me when I see it happening. I just CRINGE!

Amen again! This one REALLY infuriates me. How many AMERICANS speak the language of their tourists???? How many even TRY???? If non-English speaking tourists visit the states, they are expected to speak English if they want something. It's an unacceptable double standard IMO.

The thing is that most other countries teach English in school as a requirement. Most Americans speak one language.

When I moved to Mexico, I didn't EXPECT the locals to cater to my English speaking...I EXPECTED myself to learn THEIR language. It doesn't mean it hasn't been difficult and frustrating at times...and even today I encounter language barriers...but it's MY problem, not THEIRS. I get someone to translate for me if I need to. Fortunately, I can handle most conversations in Spanish on my own now.

Mauifish...I totally agree with you that a customer in a restaurant, on a dive boat, etc. should NEVER be chastised publicly or privately for that matter for not leaving an "acceptable" tip. However, I HIGHLY disagree with you that it is the norm here. I've never seen it happen in Cozumel. Just like another poster, you are equating what you've experienced in Cancun and Playa del Carmen with Cozumel. I can't stress enough how DIFFERENT these places are.

I have never been to Playa del Carmen, I have been to Cancun and Cozumel and I have witnessed the Tip problem on several occasions, if you haven't then you are lucky.{here is one example out of several} I was diving with "Dive with Martin" a few years ago and somehow lost my tip money on one dive, I told the guys I would make up for it later, I had several more dives that week but this particular boat driver and DM had never seen me before. During the gear rinse back at the pier my brand spanking new reg set came up missing, after several inquireies and getting nowhere someone suggested putting a note with reward to see if it would show up. I posted a description of reg set with nice reward, the reg set turned up the next morning and the manager handed it to me and said "no reward" All in all, most of my experiences in Coz were great, I believe that the tipping situation "thanks to many pompous americans" has become ridiculous.
It's as though good service is held hostage unless you pay the ransom. As I stated earlier, if you guys have never lived where tipping is not the norm you won't understand what I am talking about.
About the "ugly American" that seems to make a scene at all vacation spots around the world I find him in most all places and I too have had words with such people and it is never pleasant, it is not only Americans, I have seen rudeness from Brits and Germans to mention a few, America does not have a monopoly on bad behavior.

I have to add....late again i know...lol..but ....have been treated most fairly and generously by several establishments in Coz.....only a couple times have I felt "taken". Just to set the record straight....lol. However..I seldom eat in or around the square, except at Casa Denis. I prefer to eat a bit further in. Again..just my two bits....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom