Another sad scam........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I definitely agree that the decption is not a good thing. However, with the big rubber stamp, it's more like a little misdirection. Did we say whether or not anything was mentioned on the menu like "Service Charge Included" or anything like that? That would definitely change the scenario a little if it is. I personally just don't like the "typical in Mexico" kind of commentary (not everyone did this - I'm just saying). This is something (a type of something) that goes on in every tourist zone all over the world, along with pickpockets and thieves and "changing price structures" and all the rest of it. In the end I'm just saying it's really not all that big of a deal...

cowboyneal:
If you can't afford to leave an extra buck or two on the table or in the hands of the cab driver, perhaps the whole trip is just simply out of your price range and you should stay in Alabama or Mississippi or whatever other backwater hole people crawl out of that detract from, and defame, the rest of us .....

That was a classic rant! I concur (not sure about Old English); I loved it...being one who at times engages in a good rant!

I can't get too worked up (particularly while on vacation) with someone trying to survive in a poor county. I will correct them when noticed...but I'm OK with close. I think I paid $25 for a Corona once, I put the decimal point in the wrong place "in my head" and told him to keep the change...he was VERY appreciative! He probably thought I was Donald Trump...

Bob in CO

Absolutely no need for an apology...I'll go check my PM's now :)

Teamcasa:
PM sent with a better explanation.

I did jump to the conclusion based on the beginning of this thread.
I applaud you for your courage and determination to open a business in Mexico. Its no easy task!
BTW I’m more than a visitor to Mexico as well.

Christi, May I apologize to you?

Dave

cowboyneal:
Yes, maybe they can influence the "Cozumel Council," or whatever it is, but I'm sure Mexico City isn't in any jeopardy. I guess it's all a matter of degree. I would be completely ashamed to make a big deal over $2.00 (or 5 or 10) in a cab ride, tip or any other thing relative to my income compared to the standard of living in Cozumel, or many other places in Mexico. Sure there are a few "well off" people, and some quite wealthy, but put them on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, and you'd not be considering them either. I'm sure that neither I, nor anyone I know will be getting on line to take a cab driver position in Cozumel, even with all the 'local political influence' they might wield...

As I said, they have a strong influence over our LOCAL government. In fact, if you have a serious problem with Taxi's here, you have to go to the federal level to get anything done about it. I was just trying to make the point that they aren't as destitute as they may like people to think.

I don't disagree with you at all about people making turds out of themselves re the things you mentioned and as several have said...if you can't afford the tip...then you can't afford the trip/meal/etc. It's actually quite embarrassing to see how much some people lose their manners when they come to our "third world" island. :)

cowboyneal:
I personally just don't like the "typical in Mexico" kind of commentary (not everyone did this - I'm just saying). This is something (a type of something) that goes on in every tourist zone all over the world, along with pickpockets and thieves and "changing price structures" and all the rest of it. In the end I'm just saying it's really not all that big of a deal...

AMEN!

"Did we say whether or not anything was mentioned on the menu like "Service Charge Included" or anything like that? That would definitely change the scenario a little if it is. I personally just don't like the "typical in Mexico" kind of commentary"

Cowboyneal------------YES----WE said (and that would be ME) that there is NO mention of any service charge, tip, tax.........NOTHING..........and that is why I posted this thing in the first place..........if that had been the case, I would have had no problem at all!!........I also agree about the "generalizing" by a certain person and that commentary............and to the person who said that the OP was talking about "selling sisters" etc........I would like to make it clear that that was NOT me........AND Christi is 100% correct about the taxi drivers being JUST FINE economically...............Betsy

betsyinczm:
...AND Christi is 100% correct about the taxi drivers being JUST FINE economically...............Betsy

Interestingly enough...I talked to a taxi driver friend of mine last night...and I asked him (if he didn't mind answering) how much he averaged per day. I was astounded...he does IN FACT make more per day than MANY, MANY Americans. Put it this way, his best day ever was this past November when he CLEARED (after gas, union fees, etc.) $4000 pesos ($440 USD). A bad day is less than $500 ($55 USD) pesos. He averages $100 to $150 per day after expenses.

He owns his own Taxi van and has another driver that works the other shift. The driver that "rents" his taxi pays him $500 pesos a shift and the rest is his to keep. If the other driver is willing to give up $50 automatically...then you know he's making at least double that.

cowboyneal:
Yes, I definitely agree that the decption is not a good thing. However, with the big rubber stamp, it's more like a little misdirection. Did we say whether or not anything was mentioned on the menu like "Service Charge Included" or anything like that? That would definitely change the scenario a little if it is. I personally just don't like the "typical in Mexico" kind of commentary (not everyone did this - I'm just saying). This is something (a type of something) that goes on in every tourist zone all over the world, along with pickpockets and thieves and "changing price structures" and all the rest of it. In the end I'm just saying it's really not all that big of a deal...

But there is a principle involved. When I return home from Cozumel, I leave a lot of my money there. That's a given, and if I weren't happy with that state of affairs, I shouldn't go. I do, however, object to the idea that it's somehow OK to extract as much from me as possible by subterfuge, misdirection, deceit, whatever you want to call it. I won't pitch a fit or make a scene about it, but I will keep an eye out for such attempts at "misdirection".

I might add that I realize that a lot of the time it's a game, and I have had one put over on me from time to time. When it has happened, I have always maintained a cheerful, "good sport" attitude, although I'll find some way of letting whoever "got" me know that I know I've been had. Fool me once, etc. But I do agree that it's not a big deal; getting "soaked" for 5 bucks is not going to ruin my vacation, and I'm not going to ruin anyone else's day over it, either. It won't happen twice, though.

And I still won't tip the cab drivers when I can avoid it. When the fare is 35 pesos or 4 dollars, they are already getting tipped if I pay in dollars - which I sometimes do - but that's my choice.

Christi:
Interestingly enough...I talked to a taxi driver friend of mine last night...and I asked him (if he didn't mind answering) how much he averaged per day. I was astounded...he does IN FACT make more per day than MANY, MANY Americans. Put it this way, his best day ever was this past November when he CLEARED (after gas, union fees, etc.) $4000 pesos ($440 USD). A bad day is less than $500 ($55 USD) pesos. He averages $100 to $150 per day after expenses.

He owns his own Taxi van and has another driver that works the other shift. The driver that "rents" his taxi pays him $500 pesos a shift and the rest is his to keep. If the other driver is willing to give up $50 automatically...then you know he's making at least double that.

WOW! And that's with the hundreds of taxis on the island. No wonder so many of these guys have moved to the island in recent years just to drive taxis. If they only work a 5 day week that's an average of $2000-3000/month. And that money can go much further in Cozumel then in most places in the US.

You were obviously not drinking enough if you spot that....

scubawife:
WOW! And that's with the hundreds of taxis on the island. No wonder so many of these guys have moved to the island in recent years just to drive taxis. If they only work a 5 day week that's an average of $2000-3000/month. And that money can go much further in Cozumel then in most places in the US.

I should qualify that he does have a van and does alot of around the island tours. With the van, he can get the larger groups, etc. AND he's been around for a LONG time...he has some regular customers that he takes to Chedraui, work, etc. In low season, based on our conversation, I think his average is probably closer to the $75 to $100 USD a day range after expenses.

Think about even one fare from town to one of the southern resorts for example...that's a $30 +/- round trip fare

So my point is that even the "slower" taxi drivers make at least $50 per shift.

Back
Top Bottom