Another sad scam........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never looked closely at a bill I am paying in Mexico or anywhere else I travel in the world. I just spent thousands of dollars to travel internationally. I can't imagine confronting a waiter in restaurant about five bucks one way or the other. I'm sure I have been screwed a few times but I also haven't had angry confrontations with waiters and service staff either. I'm an over tipper especially when I'm in a place where I make more in a day at home than the locals make in a month. Its a happier place to be. JMTC.

I agree that the OP was off the charts with the nonsense about "selling sisters & / or Chiclets" crack. That's in other parts of Mexico, not Coz.

I ran into a restaurant in Coz trying to include a 20% tip mesself. 17 years ago. One of those swanky steakhouse joints on the main drag. We adjourned around the corner, this was when you could get grouper & lobster for 6 bucks a plate.

The same scam has been tried on me and my dining party in;

Park City
Aspen
Redondo Beach
Chicago
Hawaii

and a few other places I've forgotten. People have been trying that trick for years in many places

Sometimes, when I'm in big parties, I go along with the auto gratuity. I've been on the other side of the counter & there is nothing worse for a server to get stiffed by a big group. And they do it, you better believe it.

Nobody is getting a built in tip from me for a small party. I'll tear up the check and refigure the damn thing. There's no need to do it.

I also doubt the scenario stated by the OP. I can't imagine the most mobbed up joint on Rush Street in Chicago trying that move.

If the Coz restaurant is really trying that scam, they won't be there long. Too many great places that don't even do anything close to that.

Sorry about the late post, but...we were in Coz about 2 weeks ago, and got the same scam at Bianca's. When I asked the waiter why the bill came to 25% more than it should have been, his response was...dont you want to pay for my services? I pressed it further, but as I did not want to be the loud rude American, finally just paid it, and swore to never return. Unfortunately, Im sure there are many people who do the same thing, and they continue to get away with it. So....Buyer Be Ware.

Gdog:
Sorry about the late post, but...we were in Coz about 2 weeks ago, and got the same scam at Bianca's. When I asked the waiter why the bill came to 25% more than it should have been, his response was...dont you want to pay for my services? I pressed it further, but as I did not want to be the loud rude American, finally just paid it, and swore to never return. Unfortunately, Im sure there are many people who do the same thing, and they continue to get away with it. So....Buyer Be Ware.
25% auto tip sucks. I have done it quietly, but I fix the tab and pay in cash, rounding up then paying exactly - no haggling over change.

Gdog:

Thanks for the update GDog.

(Nice Splendid for your avatar, BTW)

I can't see Bianca's getting away with this long. With all the great places down there, people won't put up with that kind of BS.

Is that place that good a joint? It's not on my top ten, I'll tell ya.

cowboyneal:
How about we look at it this way - the average masero makes what, 36 pesos/day (which is what, about $3.50?). Now add to that that an average meal is probably about no more than 100 pesos (depending, maybe 150) and that's what, $8-$12? Your measly extra 10% or 15% is what, a $1 or $2?

I don't think that anyone here is advocating not tipping at restaurants in Cozumel. What the objection is (and I share it, BTW) is when a place of business attempts to deceive you by posting their prices as one thing and charging you another in hopes that you will not notice it and add another tip on top of it. It's not the tipping, it's the deception.

As for cabbies; I do not believe that tips is all they make (the taxi union is very strong on Cozumel), and I've had that "I don't have change" scam run on me so many times that I make sure I have small denominations to pay them the exact fare. YMMV.

BTW, as to tipping in general, I tend to overtip in cheaper restaurants, but I will question any restaurant bill that does not reflect the prices on the menu. I won't be raising my voice or causing a scene, but I will ask (cheerfully and respectfully, with every opportunity to save face on both sides) what the discrepancy is about. Hey, sometimes it is a mistake.

As for those doubting that this happened at Bianca's, it did and has happene now to several people I nknow personally. No, they won't keep getting away with it. Again I will note that not ALL restaruants do this. The best way to prevent this from happening to you is to make sure there's nothing added to the total. There should be no tax, and an auto gratuity should only be applied to large parties and only if stated on the menu or somewhere visible.

As for the taxi's only making tips. Come on Cowboy, you know better than that! The cabbies are the upper middle class of Cozumel and have more power than the politicians! It IS NOT customary to tip taxi drivers here unless they are helping you with luggage, groceries, or do something above and beyond driving you from point A to B.

Comparatively, they don't make that much money...let's be serious...and it's not like they're influencing the outcome of Mexican elections or emigration policy...lol...

When I travel to Mexico, which I do frequently, I use pesos. I rarely eat in restaurants that cater to tourists. Mostly out of the way spots. I tip generously as I realize the wage disparity is significant. One more thing, when on vacation, tipping has always insured me good service. Same thing goes for buying gas/fuel in Mexico, I use pesos.

Dave

cowboyneal:
Comparatively, they don't make that much money...let's be serious...and it's not like they're influencing the outcome of Mexican elections or emigration policy...lol...

Um...actually...they have alot more influence than you are aware of obviously. They are very influencial over our local elections. Immigration policy...no effect that I'm aware of.

AS far as earnings, of course they make less than the average American, but they have a completely different standard of living as well...so it's all relative. Trust me, they do quite well...especially those who own their own cars and licenses.

Back
Top Bottom