Another sad scam........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the heads up about Bianca's. I'm on my third trip to Cancun, haven't been to Coz as of yet. I only had one bad experience last year at a place on the hotel zone. They were Italians, not Mexicans.

I have never had any trouble with the locals. When we went to Chendraui's to stock up, everyone was friendly and helpful. We even go to a nice restaurant downtown that foreigners do not frequent and had excellent service.

What I can tell you is that since Wilma, everything has changed. Snootier people, much more bucks required, and just something isn't the same. Most notably was that driving from the airport we were assaulted by billboards advertising $500K condos on the beach front, right across from a low income hovel.

I'm hoping to get a couple of dives in this year, but it might need to wait until I just book a trip to Coz. At any rate, I won't be going to Bianca's....

Oh yeah....the "ugly American" is a very real issue. One or two is all it takes to have people treat you the same way as the bad ones. I work for a French based company and have talked to many of my french colleagues and they tell me some unbelievable stories. We can make the difference. Although, I get rather heated over getting ripped off.

PARADISE HUNTER:
I blame cruise ships for some of the problems that we encounter as traveling Americans. Some of the tourists are real idiots. They come stumbling off the boat already drunk and make A---S out of themselves. They are my one complaint about Cozumel. It is not the locals that are the problem, it is the cruisers. They falsely condition the locals as to what to expect from the foreign traveler.
On the plus side, Cozumel doesn't just get the cruisers, there's also the divers, and people who fly in to just enjoy the island, so I think there's an understanding that we're not all idiots. The hotel I stayed at back a month or two ago was right along the path the cruisers take into town. I noticed a definition change when I was doing something that identified me as a diver (carrying a mesh dive bag, wearing a wrist computer, etc) vs when I was just heading into town without anything like that. The hustle that is used on the cruisers is toned down/missing for the divers, at least from what I saw.

Of course, there are alternative explanations for that, such as they think divers are cheapskates who aren't worth trying to get in their shops, or they don't like wet floors. :D

Anyway, I'm stoked... Got my air & hotel for my return trip Memorial Day week.

Mike S----------I never claimed to not have seen this before during the years I have lived here...........it is rampant in Playa del Carmen where there are many Europeans who are not accustomed to leaving tips and so I DO understand that they need to protect themselves. MY point is that there was 15% added with no claim that it was a tax OR a tip........and then another 10% "suggested" so that the average tourist would automatically NOT peruse his bill and AUTOMATICALLY leave the suggested amount and most probably more!........It's just not right but apparently it goes on at other places that I don't frequent, according to many posters here. I love the people of this island more than anybody, otherwise I wouldn't have lived here for such a long time. But in YOUR words---

"While you live there and might get treated a little better than the rest of us, it's easy to con the other 98% of the people there who just get on the plane at the end of the week or back on the cruise boat at the end of the day."

I was just trying to warn the 98%, silly me. And by the way, word got back to Bianca, and apparently the rubber stamp is gone...........don't know yet, but there still may be the hidden 15% on the bill...........and that is illegal as well, since there is NO TAX on food.

I just wanted folks to be aware of this.....I am a good tipper too, but I am NOT happy being tricked into leaving more than 25%.

Betsy

here's an example on the other note... (of how tipping is different in other countries).

Apparantly in France, your tip is included in the price of your meal and you leave just a small amount to say "thanks" for the service. You leave more if you get really good service.

Silly me was leaving 15% to 20% tip the first day or two there. Boy the waiters loved me when I gave them their tip :D

I didn't to be negative in any way in response to your post. I've just had that happen many times to me in Mexico in your area. I really like Cozumel, but it's atmosphere has changed. Maybe it's the cruise ships to blame. You can't walk down the street in town now without someone trying to get you (as a cruise boat passenger) into their store. oh well.... *sigh*

Had a waiter in Bali follow me out into the parking lot holding out his tip money, he said "Sir, you left this on the table." I explained that it was for him and he gave me this quizzical look and said "Why?"

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Mike S-----ditto for Switzerland, where I grew up and lived for over eighteen years. The "service charge" is built into the bill but that info is posted clearly on ALL menus and there is no question about it...........if they did that HERE, I would have no problem at all!!.............but they don't.

Betsy

Please note that my reference to pretending to be asleep was in regard to my experiences in Puerto Vallarta. I have never had to pretend to be asleep in Cozumel to avoid distasteful interactions.

gbrandon:
In my opinon, we shouldnt have to itemize the bill after every meal to make sure we arent getting screwed. We shouldnt have to pretend to be asleep in the lounge chair to make the hawkers go away.

gbrandon:
What planet are you from? Where did I say I was rude? Where did I say i was demanding?
Where did I say you were? I made a general statement, and you took it personally. A little too close for comfort? At any rate, your quote:
gbrandon:
The last 2 times I was there were both horrible experiences from dealing with the locals. You cant trust any of them. I am going to Cozumel in a few weeks and im sure it will be the same idiots trying to sell me timeshares, their little sister, chicklets, or charging me unsuspectingly. Im really hoping that this time after I go I realize that when I leave there that the diving is not so great that its worth getting treated like I owe everyone in mexico something and I wont return again.
says it better than I can. It sure comes off as rude, arrogant, and obnoxious.
gbrandon:
Maybe because I spoke of my own, as well as others experiences, you got all bent out of shape because someone badmouthed your favorite destination spot.
Wrong again. I'm nowhere near bent out of shape.
gbrandon:
When people here are concerned about the blatent rip off's, my friends experience it, and I experience it, maybe you should realize we all cant be rude, arrogant, obnoxious people.
See above, which also goes along with my previous statement:
Firefyter:
Why should they care if you obviously treat them with such low regard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom