Another Sipadan Diving Permit Thread: Sipadan Water Village vs Mabul Water Bungalows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am at SWV currently, with 5 days diving done and 5 to go. I've already been to Sipadan Island three times. I would be there again this morning, but i've picked up a bit of an ear infection so I am going to take a day off. Anyway, it's an amazing place to dive. A lot of the people here are giving up their permits for Sipadan Island to dive Mabul and/or Kapolei (sp?) b/c they are having better luck finding and shooting macro.

The food and service here are fine. It's not 5-star, but they don't pretend to be.

Update: in 10 dive days I went to Sipadan Island 5 times, and also missed a day as I mentioned in my previous post. SWV has a boat that leaves for the island at 515, so if you don't mind waking up early you can get on it often. This will also allow you to get there for the bumpheads.

Great shots Gee13 - nice mix of wide angle and macro too ! Of these places, which was your favorite ? I'm trying to figure out where to go next year, am trying to decide between Ind0nesia and Philippines - I shoot mostly macro. It looks like you posted in Nov but what time of the year did you go ? Do you think that was the best time of the year ? IE - I know ghost pipefish are common in Bali toward the end of Sept does that apply everywhere "over there" ? And the frogfish, do you know if they are there year round or are they seasonal ? Any hints, tips, pointers and advice is greatly appreciated. Also, where did you stay ? Would you go back ? Did you have a dive guide ? Were your dives boat or beach dives ? Tons of questions here. :O)

I'm trying to figure out where to go next year, am trying to decide between Ind0nesia and Philippines....Do you think that was the best time of the year ? IE - I know ghost pipefish are common in Bali toward the end of Sept does that apply everywhere "over there" ?
Dumaguete had the most pipefish I have seen anywhere. I went in early June.

Duma_ghost_pipefish5.jpg

Nice shot vladimir, you make them look truely ghostly!

Reenydiver, thans for the compliments. Of all the places my favourite photos this year have come from Sipadan and Lembeh. Moalboal comes a close second with the sardine school. I was in Sipadan in September. Conditions were not the best, I have also dived there in May with much better visibility. Not much macro there unless you look really hard. Mainly wide angle there - however macro in Mabul and Si Amil is world class.

If you shoot mainly macro you cannot go past Lembeh. Its one of the the muck capitals of the world I reckon based on diversity. Frogfish are year round mainly, for sites that have them they are usual regulars. Unless they are are of a rarer variety like the orange hairy variety. pm me if you need more details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom