Another Sipadan Diving Permit Thread: Sipadan Water Village vs Mabul Water Bungalows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Average

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Sorry guys, I'm sure long time members must get sick of this question.

Just spent a good 1.5 hour reading old threads about this, here and on tripadvisor. Thing is, the pro and cons kind of make it a check mate for me, so I need somebody who has been there recently, and also knows the differences in seasons to decide. Help!

Water Bungalows:
- A little bit more luxory
- Also can use the Smart facilities next to it
- But: this means more divers, so less permits per diver

Water Village:
- also gorgeous
- bit lower quality food
- way less divers

House Reeves: don't know which one has a better one (this whole concept is new for me anyways)

So if it was just that, the choice would be easy: If Sipadan dives are my no 1 Prio, I should take the Village.
BUT then again, I'm going somewhere between Oct 15 and 30. I've read this is off-season. So does all the permit-math still apply? These holidays are "all in" holidays, I want to put all chips on the table and then eat bread and water for a year hehe... so the Bungalows would normally get my nod.

Can anybody comment? Should I worry less about the permits around that time of year, will we get enough trips if we do a 5days4nighter?

a second question: What is the required level to dive at sipadan. Read in a 3 year old thread, OW Advanced is a minimum, or they won't take you. True?

I think the week of Oct 15-19 looks the best because I can't see that any of the Asian countries have a holiday in that time. Hopefully the resorts would all be slower than normal and that would up your odds of getting more days of diving Sipadan.

No. Advanced Open Water isn't a minimum. There are strong currents so it is not the best place for a beginner.

There is always a bit of a gamble involved with Sipadan. In my opinion it is worth it. Ask each resort how many bookings they currently have. Book with the one who has the fewest....that is as good a strategy as any!

Some random but related thoughts for you to consider:

Permits should not be a problem at that time of year. If the place you're staying doesn't have any Sipadan passes available for a particular day, ask some of the other operators and go on a different boat. For a 5-day stay, I would be satisfied if they would guarantee me two days at Sipadan, knowing I could find a third if I really wanted it.

Of the two places you mentioned, I prefer Water Bungalows. Night diving can be worthwhile at several Mabul house reefs. But for "good" house reefs, my favorites would be Kapali (for its variety of sea life) or SeaVentures (for somewhat deeper fun).

Oct. 12th is full moon. The tides on Mabul will have an extreme effect (boat channels almost become too shallow to navigate).

No one is going to prevent you from diving Sipadan without an advanced permit, but for your own safety, you should be proficient at controlling your depth. You will probably experience some moderate current and should know what to do if you encounter a down-current. Carry an SMB if the currents are high.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the feedback guys! very helpful!
I think I have a firm grasp on my control of depths. I'm a bit rusty, but by the time I've arrived in Mabul, I will have 5 days of diving in Lembongan behind me, which will get my game back to my old standard hehe. I was asking the question for my GF that will dive in Lembongan for the first time. She'll do her OW there. Our entire trip is 3 Weeks, and I only booked 1 week Lembongan so far, the rest is still open. Now after your comments, I think it would be wise to push back Sipadan towards the end, and make sure my GF also takes the Advanced, or just many Adventure Dives to really get the hang of it. Controlling depth and air. Yes, you don't have to tell me: this will not make her an expert. But we ARE going to Mabul, there's no way around it hehe...

So I'm considering to
a) extend our time in Lembongan, do more dives there and for example also the Chrystal Bay, that also has currents or skip to another place (kind of on the way from Bali - Kuala Lumpur - Mabul, ideas?) and "train" some more there.
b) go to Mabul next, but focus on easy dives, then maybe medium ones and dive Sipadan last

Safety first, and if her skills don't allow it, there is no way I'm diving Sipadan with her! Either I will split up for those dives, or not go at all (right after hell froze over), but I'm not planning on risking anything, and actually, I would feel horrible just to spoil the fun of SIpadan dives for other, skilled divers, that have to surface earlier etc because of some problems we caused.

Diving Lembongan entails at least as much risk of treacherous currents as Sipadan does.

:rofl3: I'm sure you'll survive. If you want some easier diving before the Lembongan dives you could head up to Tulamben, in northern Bali.

Hi there

Fully agree with the previous posters, do try and have as much experience as possible before you get to Sipadan. We dived in Bali this summer and also really enjoyed the Gili Islands , as well as Nusa Lembongan. Tulamben does have very easy diving.In general we found the dive shops in Indonesia to be really well organised and the diving is superb.

I wouldnt go as far to say the food at SWV is lower quality, it was actually excellent when I was there. On a weekend night we even had a big seafood BBQ which also featured ikan bakar, a malay speciality dish. Also SWV I wouldnt say has less divers. Id say SMART and theyre water bungalows all have to share the same 14 permits. A note that when I was at SWV they had some snorkellers that wanted to go to Sipadan. This means a permit for them as well. I wouldnt worry so much if i didnt get out to Sipadan - Mabul and Si Amil has some of the worlds finest muck diving for macro - and also feature some nice wall diving in parts. Lembongan and Nusa Penida has some fierce currents and Crystal Bay has some real rippers. If you can survive there Sipadan will be real easy diving for you. Im sure you will enjoy your dives.

Gee, I looked at your Sipadan 2011 gallery. Some superb pics! :cool2:
I felt you were using the new compact insect eye lens, other wise I would be very surprized you could take this way the whipcoral goby or the distorted crocfish portraits, am I right? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom