Another spot to dive in Central New York

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the vis? I have not seen the water in that lake in years but toxic waste and raw sewage were the norm. I did hear fish are again living in it so it maybe safer than it was before to dive. I just and not keen on diving in what has been for 100 years and is today the overflow of Syracuse septic system.

I think it would great if they uncovered the jet to dive on as part of the clean up, I wonder if if they get the place as underwater park. It may years but at some point this lake will get clean.

The only way the lake will get clean is if the government comes up with the absurd $$$$ to (1) upgrade the capacity of Syracuse Metro, (2) substantially reduce the inflow/infiltration in the City's collection system, (3) construct the Onondaga Lake Bypass for the sewage outfall (the detention time due to the Seneca River actually flowing mostly into the lake causes the lake to stagnate). I can't imagine ever seeing the lake in any "decent" condition in my lifetime, my daughter's, or her children's.....

and then there is all the toxic metals in the silt/sludge..... just an ideal dive destination.....

(I lived in Liverpool for 7 years - heard the big promise of salmon being re-introduced into the lake. Think it was supposed to have been established years ago - that didn't happen.... the Lake is an environmental nightmare)

hope you have Haz-Mat gear...

Back
Top Bottom