ANOTHER Starting OW class w/journal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

astromattical

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Almost that time! I start my OW class this Saturday! My intentions for this thread are to keep it updated with my progress through the class with detailed accounts of what goes on. I hope it will be useful for people who will take the class in the future - I know it often helps to know as much as possible, especially if you're nervous about the class for any reason. Anything I can do to help!

The class dates are 10/6, 10/7, 10/13, 10/14. The first half of the 6th will be going over knowledge reviews in the PADI Open Water Diver Manual, and quizzes the instructor has provided. The second half will be spent in the pool, along with pool time for all of the 7th. The 13th and 14th are dives at Lake Rawlings.

My fiancee and I are doing the class together. We paid our deposit which allowed us to receive out PADI packet and class materials about 2-3 weeks ago, and shortly after we paid our remaining balance for the class. It was important to get the materials so far in advance because it does take quite some time to go through it all and complete the knowledge reviews and quizzes, if that is the format your instructor takes. Working full-time and going to school doesn't help. Don't procrastinate!

My fiancee and I are borrowing some snorkeling gear from my dad for the class - mask, snorkel, and fins. Key words there are "snorkeling gear." The class requires us to have boots, fins, mask, and snorkel. We took our fins to the LDS (local dive shop, if you're new around here) to purchase the boots. This is a text book example of why you need to wear boots and fins together before making your purchase. We put the boots on and wouldn't you know it...the boots don't even begin to fit into the fins that came in the snorkeling package that was designed for warm water. Oops.

So that settles that. We purchased new fins. While we were at it, we went ahead and purchased our own snorkels along with the boots that fit inside the fins. We're all set now with our equipment necessary for the class. The masks are fine, and we'll soon be purchasing our own with prescription lenses.

My fiancee also purchased ear plugs designed for diving - she usually gets an ear infection if too much water gets in them. Personally, I think I was a fish in my past life and never have any issues in the water, and feel best while in it, actually!

So here we are, a few days before our class. We're just about done with our class material. It wasn't hard, and a lot of it is common sense once you understand the basic concepts of scuba diving and the "physics" of it. We both feel excited - not nervous at all. We both can swim (I was a competitive swimmer for a while), and we've both done the whole snorkel thing in the past a few times.

I was fortunate enough to have been able to go to a pool 2 weeks ago and practice snorkel and mask clearing. Snorkel clearing is extremely easy, and mask clearing wasn't bad at all. The worst part was opening my eyes with highly chlorinated water in the mask...stupid me. It usually takes 2-3 attempts to fully clear the mask, the first try usually brings the water to just below eye-level. I'm glad I got to try it ahead of time though - I will definitely not be intimidated when it comes time to do it in the pool or Lake Rawlings!

That's enough rambling for now I suppose - I will keep this thread updated as we make our way through the class. Ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them. :D

Good luck! I have my OW final exam tonight and check-out dive on Saturday. You'll be there soon!

Good luck to you as well, USF! Just a few more days and you'll be done, while I'm just getting started! Can't wait!

Neat idea to document your experience with training. Keep us informed. Good luck and welcome to the "underwater world". You're going to love diving.

My fiancee also purchased ear plugs designed for diving - she usually gets an ear infection if too much water gets in them. Personally, I think I was a fish in my past life and never have any issues in the water, and feel best while in it, actually!
Might I suggest a little light reading? (It's only two one-web-page articles, so even my little brother could slog through it. :biggrin:)The first explains otitis externa, or "swimmers ear", and the second continues and goes on to tell you how to prevent it (for very little cost and only a small amount of boredom on diving days).

Executive summary: Mix equal parts plain white vinegar and "rubbing alcohol" (i.e. 70% isopropyl alcohol solution). At the beginning of each diving day, and again once all the diving's been done, fill your ear with the mix and let stand for *five* *minutes* (yes, that part's important). Then tip it out of that ear and do the same on the other side. By treating your ears thusly at the beginning and end of each diving day, you should have no problems with "swimmers ear".

Anecdote: I'd never really had any problems with my ears, but after a big multi-dive weekend, I ended up with a case. My ears were just too wet for too long, apparently. I've never had another problem once I started following those instructions, but once in a while when I don't, I'll suffer again. (Most of the time, it doesn't matter if I don't do it, but prevention hurts a lot less.)

The five minutes per side are a nice excuse to relax and reflect, and if she suffers fewer ear infections because of it, all the better, eh? :biggrin:

Thanks Debersole. :D We're really excited about it, in case I haven't mentioned it enough already.

:dork2:

I really do hope others in the future will find this thread useful. It's my belief that there are people out there who are afraid of diving, and should NEVER dive because they'd panic and get themselves killed...and there are people who are afraid of diving for the wrong reasons, and if they just understood and knew more, they would respect diving for what it is, and give it a shot and find that they love it!

My goal is to help people understand a bit, especially when starting out in the beginning when it is easiest to get scared to the point of never even getting one foot into the water.

Edit to add response to ClayJar:

Thanks ClayJar! I appreciate your added input into this thread - you made it even more valuable to people new to diving. I'll be sure to look those over with my fiancee. We knew to do the mix of vinegar and alcohol after diving, but before is new to us. Thank you!

Welcome to SB and diving. I'm an old diver and I was taught never wear ear plugs because they'll meet in your brain from the pressure. Alot has changed since then. As a child and teen I used to get the worst ear infections. It stopped when I squirted Auro Dri or Swim Ear in my ears before and after diving. This might work for your girlfriend if not Clayjar has some great places to look at swim ear prevention.

I'm an old diver and I was taught never wear ear plugs because they'll meet in your brain from the pressure. Alot has changed since then.
The only diving-compatible ear plugs I've heard of are "Doc's Pro Plugs". They're silicone (I think, rubbery, regardless) choose-the-right-size plugs with a hole in them to allow a little water in, as necessary. They keep your ears warmer and somewhat closer to dry, but even with them, you do get some water in your ears, so the various ear brews are still important.

I only know of three things that are supposed to keep your ears completely dry. One is a hardhat system, but that's not recreational scuba. The second is the "Pro-Ear Mask" someone makes (forgot who that is), but that looks like a rather clunky gimmick (but if it works...). The third is a dry hood, but you generally need a drysuit first. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom