Another trip report - Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First time in Cozumel. We did the puddle jumper from Cancun airport to Cozumel which was a little difficult due to lack of direction from T3 where we arrived. We took the free transfer coach from T3 to T1 and the whole terminal seemed closed, but the Maya Air entrance is on the side where I think it says FBO. I was starving but there was nothing to eat other than what we could buy from vending machine. We managed to get some coins (though they didn't have enough coins so lost out a couple of dollars) and buy a pack of crisps but the couple who arrived later couldn't find any coins from anyone at the waiting area. Have some food somewhere else before making way to T1.

Enjoyed the flight to Cozumel and as there were only two of us I think if we are to return we'd do the same again. There was a spell of el Norte while we were there so we went cenote diving arranged through Blue Angel, and taking gear over to Cancun and coming back were really quite a chore. BTW cenote diving was with Olivier who was excellent. First time for both of us and very much enjoyed the experience at Dos Ojos despite all the snorkellers. I'm a little claustrophobic but didn't feel panicky at all throughout the dive. Probably helped that it was only us two with him so we had his full attention.

Blue Angel was great as I expected. The food was good, and if we were a bit more organised we would have done more shore diving - the brief one we did we saw two spotted moray eels and a lobster and it was literally within a few meters of entry. Dive boats were fast and efficient, and the captains were great at finding us when we surfaced from the dive. I'm not used to drift diving and the current while we were there was quite strong so it was a bit of a learning curve at first. Night dive was at Paradise Reef which was fabulous. I couldn't understand why it was only two of us plus a staff from the hotel. So many octopi.

I did wonder whether they should insist on everyone having a sausage. I'll be definitely be using one there in the future. Tank fill was generally good though I learned the hard way that you should check before leaving especially if diving Nitrox. DMs were great, no pressure on the bottom time and the more experienced divers were left to enjoy the diving. Fruit and muffins were offered during surface interval.

The diving was pretty good generally. The visibility particularly on the first day wasn't great and the current was pretty strong. As I'm a macro fan it was a little frustrating in that aspect. One person in our group spotted a black tip at Palancar Bricks though I'm not sure if I saw it. There were plenty of turtles, couple of green moray eels, juvenile drum fish etc. as well as plenty of small critters. I was glad to see that there doesn't seem to be too many lion fish though we did see a few - but they were mostly quite small. We saw a few people during the week that were spear fishing them and feeding them to groupers and snappers which hopefully will control the population.

The convenience of having both dive shop and a good restaurant was really great. I did wish it was a bit shorter walk to town but we walked to town and rode a cab back which worked generally well. We also bought some fruit and nuts from the supermarket (buy a bottle of iodine to wash the fruits with). We were on the 4th floor and always had good water pressure and hot water, though perhaps the system is more stressed if the hotel is full. My partner is a light sleeper with bad shoulders but he found the bed comfortable and the street noise stopped early enough not to interfere with sleeping. We also enjoyed massage with Dora - amazing touch.

One of the main reason to pick BA was not doing all inclusive and we had some good meals in several restaurants. Our favorite was the lobster sandwich at le Chef. We had dinner there as well (the only repeat visit during the week) which was good but the lobster sandwich was really the highlight. We made it to Buccanos at night as well which has handy reservation system through Open Table. The meal was lovely except wahoo which I tried despite my better judgment - I find it always too dry and while it was better than average wahoo I've had it still was a bit on the dry side. Guido and Kinta were both good, but la Terraza felt a little average. We had pasta and perhaps we should have tried something else.

Overall a great week and great diving despite el Norte. Another convert to BA fan club.

Thanks for the review. Less than 3 mos to our return

My stay there just a week or so earlier - I found the fills were consistantly low, especially with regular "air" tanks, like as low as 2700 a few times. My buddy & I dove Nitrox on the second tank/dive, as we did both morning & afternoon 2-tank dives a couple of the days that week, & those tanks were always at least 3000. I realize it is no fault of Blue Angel. If I understand correctly, most if not all the dive shops have a service on the island drop off & pick up tanks each morning.

Also - Le Chef lobster sandwich...AMAZING!!

My stay there just a week or so earlier - I found the fills were consistantly low, especially with regular "air" tanks, like as low as 2700 a few times. My buddy & I dove Nitrox on the second tank/dive, as we did both morning & afternoon 2-tank dives a couple of the days that week, & those tanks were always at least 3000. I realize it is no fault of Blue Angel. If I understand correctly, most if not all the dive shops have a service on the island drop off & pick up tanks each morning.

Also - Le Chef lobster sandwich...AMAZING!!
BA had a compressor of their own? There is a big fill station that supplies many of the Ops, but some have their own. Either way, it's the shop manager's responsibility to ensure you get full fills. :idk:

BA had a compressor of their own? There is a big fill station that supplies many of the Ops, but some have their own. Either way, it's the shop manager's responsibility to ensure you get full fills. :idk:

"I realize it is no fault of Blue Angel. If I understand correctly, most if not all the dive shops have a service on the island drop off & pick up tanks each morning."

Uh...guess you didn't read the end of my post. Some mornings, there were between 40 & 50 tanks exchanged in the morning - pretty tough for the dive shop staff to check each tank, especially since they were doing what they do so well, which was attending to divers' needs just before boarding the 2 to 4 boats going out each morning.

"I realize it is no fault of Blue Angel. If I understand correctly, most if not all the dive shops have a service on the island drop off & pick up tanks each morning."

Uh...guess you didn't read the end of my post. Some mornings, there were between 40 & 50 tanks exchanged in the morning - pretty tough for the dive shop staff to check each tank, especially since they were doing what they do so well, which was attending to divers' needs just before boarding the 2 to 4 boats going out each morning.
Yes, I read it. Their compressor was not at the hotel, somewhere else, but whether they still have their own or get tanks from elsewhere - it's still the shop manager's responsibility to provide full tanks. He shouldn't have to check them, altho that's not a big job. It should be done right or changes made at the fill station.

My approach is to inform the manager that since my tanks are only 90% full, I'll only be paying for 90% of the dive. Overnight success!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom