Anti ScubaPro bias?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see Scubapro as no different from any of the other major brands. They too have higher priced, moderate, and lower priced gear.

As too regulators, WOB is just one function that may or may not be important to you. A lot of this may depend on your dives; deep, strenuous are two such factors. But beyond this is features, metal verses plastic, breathing adjustment options, venturi, hose route, sealed vs unsealed, etc. And of course there is customer support and parts availability. And service options.

As in all things in life, no one choice fits all. Dos SP want to make a profit? Of course, as does Apeks, AL, AA... I see them as no different than any other large company.

Last edited:
@uncfnp Scubapro has the distinct disadvantage for the consumers as being part of Johnson Outdoors though so the customer service factor just isn't there. They're all trying to make a profit, but you have to decide if you're going to support WalMart or the small local guy

@tbone1004

Agreed, large company vs small is part of the equation and for some may be the deciding factor. As is support of my LDS. And even though I now service all my own regs, my LDS is a large part of the reason Aqualungs are our primary regs. They were the first regs were purchased and it was through our LDS.

But as you say, much of my gear is also from small companies, our VDH Aquanaut wings and Freedom Plates are prime examples.

In short, individual gear choice is a hugely multifactorial decision. Thats what makes it so tough for us on SB to answer “what is the best choice” in all those heated gear threads.

I’m not biased. I just do not like their equipment.

Example 1: I have hated the way their BCs attach to the tank since 1989 when I started diving. That 2 pc clamp style doesn’t hold a candle to the plastic tension buckle with the rubber strip.

Example 2: When we had some underwater work to do at the lake, I had my 30 yr old US Divers regulator and it worked perfectly. My buddy with the top of the line SP regular got some dirt in it and it started to free flow. He spent TWO HOURS taking it apart and cleaning it out while I did the rest of the work in that cruddy lake.

It’s not a bias, it’s a dislike based on true experience.

I’m not biased. I just do not like their equipment.

Example 1: I have hated the way their BCs attach to the tank since 1989 when I started diving. That 2 pc clamp style doesn’t hold a candle to the plastic tension buckle with the rubber strip.

Example 2: When we had some underwater work to do at the lake, I had my 30 yr old US Divers regulator and it worked perfectly. My buddy with the top of the line SP regular got some dirt in it and it started to free flow. He spent TWO HOURS taking it apart and cleaning it out while I did the rest of the work in that cruddy lake.

It’s not a bias, it’s a dislike based on true experience.
:)
You may want to shift some of that anger over toward your buddy, you may have been “Huck Finn’d”

The scubapro tank strap has a long history of reliability, I still prefer the plastic buckle system buy the SP is a good system.

You may want to shift some of that anger over toward your buddy, you may have been “Huck Finn’d”

LMAO - you may be right... Man, I kid you not when I tell you, it was like diving into a lake full of octopus black ink... No gauges needed, you can't see ANYTHING

@kmarks is there that big of a difference in balanced and unbalanced?
My last trip, we rented from the op we dove with. They rented MK2/R295s and I was later told that they intentionally use only unbalanced regs, but I didn't get why. I do know that I wasn't a fan, and my wife was very much not a fan. She had a momentary panic at about 50 feet when she suddenly felt like she couldn't get any air. When she switched to my octo (also an R295, so...) she felt much better. Maybe her piston just stuck for a second and it freaked her out, I don't know. But my new LDS rents Atomic B2/Z2 and they are balanced at both stages. I recently did a skills update with them (because I hadn't been in the water in a few years) and two things really stuck out to me: jacket BCDs still suck, and these regs were the best I've ever used (because I have only ever used rentals). Even with a few years between dives, there was a noticeable difference.

An Atomic B2 and Z2 octo at the LDS would run $1,060, and a Z2/Z2 is $750. The Scubapro equivalent of the Z2, it looks like, is the Mk11/C370, at $765 (if you get a C370 for your octo). If you can get the Deep6 first and primary for $375, and an octo for another $130, and you say it compares well to the $1,144 MK25/G260+G260 (but are you going to by a G260 for your octo?), the Deep6 looks like a steal. It looks like Scubapro and Atomic are both selling reputation and longevity at this point.

(by the way, don't tell my wife about this conversation - she might not like me talking about her or getting closer and closer to buying regs)

but are you going to by a G260 for your octo?
Some people would. I bought a second s600 to use as an octo before I replaced it with an air2.

My last trip, we rented from the op we dove with. They rented MK2/R295s and I was later told that they intentionally use only unbalanced regs, but I didn't get why.

Cost. Rental regulators get beat up by customers, therefore, investing in a nice reg isn't always worth it. Some shops/operators/resorts may rent the higher end regs; you just have to ask for it.

Back
Top Bottom