Antigua: Dive boat leaves behind two scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has been months since I have "visited" this site and now I remeber what I have missed about it. The incredible flow of safety information. I have always gone straight to Misses. I know that I am late on this thread but in reading all of the pages, the safety "tips" were great. How to prepare yourself; making yourself responsible for your own actions and trying to look out for your fellow divers. I know it is hard on cattle boats but... So what if the article is not real, what it accomplished is the what ifs. I loved the thread referrals to DAN and their products. Please everyone join DAN, just to get their magazine is great source of safety information. A dive operation that has impressed me the most (in Looe Key) used the DAN system of handing out plastic numbers and incorporating that in their head count. Because things happen, as pointed out in the many thread examples. Once at a dive, which started out so sunny it was sublime, a huge storm came through and coming up at the end of the dive to beyond black. Flashlights and mirrors was the key to the four of us getting a boat ride home. Of course the person who stands out the most is Blades... Dude you need you own page, your input was incredible.

The Antigua Sun (a reputable source) had a follow up story:

Antigua Sun

I think the original story had a wee bit too much drama to be considered the full truth. Journalists are trained not to editorialize, "crying like a baby", is opinion writing, not reporting.

That's a nice follow up. I like the resorts response and the measures they did to appease the vacationers.

Now, I sure hope no scum sucking bottom dwelling personal injury attorney makes money off of this incident. :no

That's a nice follow up. I like the resorts response and the measures they did to appease the vacationers. :14:

Now, I sure hope no scum sucking bottom dwelling personal injury attorney makes money off of this incident. :no

Personal injury attorneys don't rate such kind words!:no

"In its statement on the incident, Sandals International said that it deeply regrets the events of 16 Aug., in which the two guests of Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa who were part of scheduled diving trip “did not return with the rest of the group.”"

I like the "did not return with the rest of the group", like they elected to stay a while longer, or take a different route back. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

It does sound so much more responsible than to state they "were left behind at sea". :shakehead:

"In its statement on the incident, Sandals International said that it deeply regrets the events of 16 Aug., in which the two guests of Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa who were part of scheduled diving trip “did not return with the rest of the group.”"

I like the "did not return with the rest of the group", like they elected to stay a while longer, or take a different route back. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

It does sound so much more responsible than to state they "were left behind at sea". :shakehead:
Not a lot they could say with this so evident: "The alarm was reportedly raised by the men’s waiting wives when the group returned to the dock without them." That was your first clue, huh? :silly: More rum!

Poke fun at lawyers if you must, but they are professionals, and each side's attorney is committed to doing their best work for their clients. They are not supposed to be the judge before the trial; they are indeed suppose to be the white collar hired guns of the respective clients. I'd rather have seen the two divers sue for a substantial amount of stock in the corporation.

Discovery is the first issue...if I recall .....so what was thier first clue?

I dove with Beaches (a Sandals reasort) about four years ago. I enjoyed it for the most part. THe diving was great. The Captain was a rude wannabe showman...but I could ignore it.....although I still have negetive recolections to this day.....I think they counted heads.... so I did'nt feel all that bad about it. A role call with names is always better. I remember the movie. They counted heads...but one came back or something...changed the issue...

In a word ...................NEGLEGANCE..............From now on, and I thought this was common sense...A ROLE CALL is required at all points. The DOck before leaving, the dive, the suraface interval, the dock again.....

due to this incedent, and the fact that they are not up to speed with nitrox, and limiting dives to 60feet (so I have read of late) they are not diver friendly.....looking only for newlyweds and freshman divers .......

I will not be returning........

oh, and the honeynoon suite is equal to a Motel Six with a partial veiw.......although I could only imagine....

B

We can criticize the Op, but really, this is all too common. The learning opportunities would include making the crew do a manifest roll call if they expect tips. So often we don't know what to expect of a crew until we're there, so we need to enforce our own safety standards.

as Arnold Schwartenegger would say "Girly Mans" I say they are "Girly Mans"!!!!
A real diver would accept this as a adventure and chance to test thier skills.
A real diver would emerge from the water and say " holy crap, I only hoped for a real adventure and challange on this dive cruise".
"Holy crap, book me for the next ten seasons"
" for the first time in years, I feel truly alive"

what was the name of that movie where the two guys survived a plane crash in Alaska, hiked out, fought a Grizzly bear, made a raft, found a cabin, navigated 200 miles of river, fought a blizzard, made many fires, made clothing from wolf skins, and then one died a mere 2 miles from
the next ridge??? Anthony Hopkins and some other dude????
his last words in the movie " I lost a dear friend, however, the most exellirating adventure of my entire life"
these two men should say,.......what an adventure!

what was the name of that movie where the two guys survived a plane crash in Alaska, hiked out, fought a Grizzly bear, made a raft, found a cabin, navigated 200 miles of river, fought a blizzard, made many fires, made clothing from wolf skins, and then one died a mere 2 miles from
the next ridge??? Anthony Hopkins and some other dude????
The Edge is a 1997 survival and relationship drama film directed by Lee Tamahori starring Anthony Hopkins as billionaire magazine publicist Charles Morse and Alec Baldwin as Robert Green, one of his ambitious employees. Harold Perrineau also co-stars as the group's photographer Stephen. Elle Macpherson has a supporting role as Hopkins' trophy wife and model for his magazine. Her presence in the beginning of the movie acts as a catalyst for the film's bold male rivalry between Baldwin and Hopkins. L. Q. Jones has a supporting role as an innkeeper.
The plane crash was caused by a run in with a bird flock, not negligent dive professionals. It was a Kodiak bear they killed, and its hide was used for protective clothing. Baldwin was having an affair with Hopkins' wife, after his fortune, and planned to kill him as soon as survival alone seemed possible, almost did but it was too early. Hopkins did screw up the compass readings with his belt buckle and lost the signal flares in a waterfall early in the tale, but then went on to be the hero afterward.
his last words in the movie " I lost a dear friend, however, the most exellirating adventure of my entire life"
A search for that quote on the www only leads back to this thread. Hopkins did lie about the demise of Baldwin and confronted his cheating wife.

Oh yes, "Open Water" has already been filmed, twice. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom