Antioxidants and cns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J1M1

Reaction score
I know it has probably been asked before but what is your suggestion on antioxidents for lowering the chances of a cns hit. And if you suggest one what is it. Thanks, J.D.

Hello JD:

There are not any reliable drugs for CNS protection. The very best that has come out to my knowledge is microsphere encapsulated superoxide dismutase. It is difficult to make and must be administered intravenously. I believe it has only been tried in rats.

In other words, the tables for oxygen management are your best bet.

Dr Deco :doctor:

just wondering cause i know some people who swear by them for prolonging the onset of ceasures thanks Doc.. J.D.

jaydee197:
just wondering cause i know some people who swear by them for prolonging the onset of ceasures thanks Doc.. J.D.
You could ask those people that swear by antioxidants what evidence they have that they work.

Their evidence probably makes about as much sense as my observation that snapping my fingers keeps away the elephants. No elephant has ever shown up on my doorstep while I'm snapping my fingers. :chicken:

No Elephants! I use the 'snapping fingers' manuever to keep away Gremlins too!

too bad it doesn't work for traveling salesmen or telemarketers

jaydee197:
I think you have to be very careful about equating the use of drugs such as phenytoin or diazepam in hyperbaric oxygen treatment with any prophylactic use in the water. I think this is what everybody is driving at, as your friends might be putting themselves at serious risk if they act as guinea pigs in this very uncharted area.

fins wake:
I think you have to be very careful about equating the use of drugs such as phenytoin or diazepam in hyperbaric oxygen treatment with any prophylactic use in the water. I think this is what everybody is driving at, as your friends might be putting themselves at serious risk if they act as guinea pigs in this very uncharted area.

thank you for the comment that was not a smart assed one as the ones above were. Thank You again..... J.D.

Anti bends
There are some things that you can do to offset risk of bends. Probably the most important is to drink lots of water or sports drink immediately before diving. Hydration seems to lower the surface tension of blood and discourage bubbles in the body fluids. Another suggestion is to use aspirin. This seems to improve blood flow. It also lowers imflammation in case of a bends hit. Improvement of peripheral circulation would help but drugs which have this property may not have been investigated for this purpose. Keeping warm will help. The use of EFA (essential fatty acids,-fish oil) has been shown to improve circulation and reduce inflammation. A person with arthritic symptoms might benefit from this. Some bends cases mimic arthritis. This may suggest a similar treatment modality. It seems that bends can cause immune response and/or coagulation in the affected area. Steroids are a common treatment although aspirin and EFA may moderate this and reduce any permanent injury. Thus, permanent injury is as much from the body's extended response to the insult of bends as any direct injury from bubbles or temporary circulation loss. Damaged tissue seems to attact antibodies leading to an inappropriate response which is very destructive in some individuals. The use of anti oxidants is controversial. It can be argued that higher partial pressure of O2 experienced by divers accellerates the aging process through cellular oxidation. The most active anti oxidents are reduced L glutathione, NAC, superoxide dismutase and vit E. It is unlikely that these will forestall onset of bends but may improve chances for recovery if used with antinflammatories.

Back
Top Bottom