Antioxidants and cns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS:
Here's a link that might address what you're looking for

http://www.iantd.com/articles.html

Thanks Dennis. The link does go to an introductory overview. But it doesn't address the drugs and diving issue in any depth. It certainly doesn't address the rebound effect.

Lots of people I know use Low-Dose Aspirin. Many of them have been doing so for years. If this Rebound Effect is a fact then we will need to take it into consideration in planning any activity, especially diving.

Factual information?

Aspirin is an anti coagulant. Although not as powerful as high dose heparin, the effect is noticable. Othewise, why would the same physicians who poo-poo aspirin, a non profitable wonder drug, also, in the same breath, warn against possible internal bleeding? Aspirin has the advantage of being an anti inflammatory. It is cheap and wide available, WITHOUT PRESCRIPTION. Common sense suggests that anything which facilitates blood flow would be beneficial and a possible prophylactic against bends (oops, DCS). Experiments on rodents are not necessarily relevant. Since heparin is used as rat poison we know its effect on rodents. However, aspirin is a different matter and the relevance of aspirin experiments on rats and the effect inferred to humans may be suspect. Aspirin has been shown to be poisonous to some animals.

Anti oxidants may well moderate oxygen toxicity, again a matter of common sense but this area needs further research. There is much known about the chemistry of these substances but I'm not aware of CNS research published by a major journal. Thanks to various papers published in respected journals we know a lot more about aspirin than even 10 years ago. For one thing, it is an anti cancer drug, the list is long. Anti oxidants belong to the "health food, supplement arena, considered "fringe" by establishment medical types. However, since an article originally published in Scientific American in 1972, it has been shown that these compounds may extend the life span of rodents. Administration of Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT) to rats increased their life spans by 40%. This is a powerful antioxidant used to preserve foods like processed cereals. SOD is more readily available and relatively cheap. This chemical is manufactured by the human body for the explicit purpose of neutralizing oxygen radicals. The metabolic cost is significant enough that there has to be an important purpose to this synthesis, eg, protecting the cells from damage. Supplementation appears to be harmless and may be beneficial, possibly even buffering "CNS" toxicity, but I don't know not having done a literature search for this specific property.

Hello pesciador and readers:

Aspirin

There are many thoughts here, and I don’t want readers to come away with the wrong idea. While it is certainly true that “blood thinners” might help a diver because of coagulation, in tests with human divers, they have not been shown to be affective against DCS. While it might be true that “it can’t hurt,” the fact is that some individuals can develop problems from bleeding in the stomach. Thus, while it will not help anyone, it could harm some.

A diver would do himself or herself a much better favor by avoiding those activities that promote gas bubbles formation. These are
  • avoid heavy activity before and following a dive,
  • keeping in good physical shape, and
  • move around a bit between divers to activate the muscle pump and boost tissue perfusion.
These are far, far better and of proven potency than any drug. I am talking an order of magnitude.

Antioxidants

There are many substances that protect against oxygen damage. These are manufactured by the body since oxygen is poisonous and its effects must be mitigated. When we breathe increased oxygen, we overwhelm the body’s natural defense system. Certainly it is possible to take antioxidants but there is a possible trap. What is manufactured by the body within a cell (superoxide dismutase SOD, for example) threats the reactive oxygen intermediates diffusing from the mitochondria. It is not necessary true that you an ingest SOD and achieve the same effect. As a matter of fact, you cannot. SOD is a protein and is metabolized in the stomach. In fact, even if administered intravenously, it does not enter the brain (pass the blood-brain barrier). It must be microencapsulated in a lipid shell.

It certainly is an interesting concept. As always, the best treatment for a poison is simply to avoid it.

Dr Deco :doctor:

References

As mentioned in the "Attn: Please Read" sticky post at the top of this forum, board members need to exercise a degree of caution when they read "medical" posts on these forums from non-medically trained or informed folk. Pescador775 (who calls himself “Pesky”) is a case in point. I have gotten the impression that Pesky tries to read some about diving medicine, but truly understands very little of what he reads. Unfortunately, this little bit of half-understood knowledge seems to have led him to believe that he is a medical expert qualified to give medical advice on this board. In my experience, he lacks even the most basic knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology and is frequently, shall we say, off-target.

For example in his first post above, I suppose Pesky might have been trying to change the subject from CNS O2 toxicity to an unrelated subject (the "bends"), but as has been so politely pointed out, Pesky seems to have missed the point of the discussion (again). I think it may be quite possible that Pesky doesn't even really understand the difference between CNS oxygen toxicity causing a "hit" (seizure) and neurological decompression sickness. Dr. Deco also pointed out Pesky's incorrect understanding about the basic physiological effects of hydration on surface tension.

Pesky also likes to promote the use of aspirin on this board periodically. While he is correct that aspirin reduces platelet adherence, which is involved in blood clotting and it reduces inflammation, which is involved in decompression illness, aspirin has not been found to improve the outcome in decompression illness, and it can have negative effects (which Pesky always fails to mention when he’s promoting aspirin).

From Bove and Davis' Diving Medicine, 3rd edition:

Because of evidence that bubble-blood interaction may cause platelet deposition and vascular occlusion that are refractory to recompression, there is reason to believe that agents that inhibit the functions of platelets (like aspirin) and soluble clotting factors might be beneficial in decompression sickness. Aspirin and other antiplatelet drugs inhibit the mild drop in platelets observed after dives. A single case report indicated neither benefit nor harm from heparin administration to a patient with neurological decompression sickness. Animal studies in which single agents were administered have shown no benefit from anticoagulation; however in a canine model of arterial gas embolism, a triple combination of indomethacin (an aspirin relative), prostaglandin I2, and heparin resulted in a beneficial short-term effect.

Furthermore, there is histologic (microscopic tissue examination) evidence of hemorrhage (bleeding) in arterial gas embolism, inner ear decompression sickness, and spinal cord decompression sickness. Thus, there is little evidence that antiplatelet agents (e.g. aspirin) or other anticoagulants alter the neurological outcome in decompression sickness, whereas there is reason to believe that some lesions actually may be made worse. However, in individuals with severe neurological deompression sickness and leg weakness, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism (blood clots) have been described. In these patients, therefore, some form of prophylaxis against deep vein thrombosis, which might include low-dose heparin, is recommended. (When prescribed by a doctor!)

Regardless of their effects on platelet function, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (like aspirin) are commonly prescribed (by a doctor, not a fisherman) for the discomfort of pain-only decompression sickness because of their analgesic (pain relieving) and anti-inflammatory properties. If the clinical response to recompression is to be observed, these agents should not be administered until after hyperbaric treatment.

From Edmonds, Lowry, & Pennefather’s Diving and Subaquatic Medicine, 3rd edition:

There are more arguments against the use of aspirin than for it, in that the effects on an already haemorrhagic (bleeding) disease could be catastrophic- and haemorrhage in the gastrointestinal tract and brain have been the cause of some decompression deaths. Also, the likelihood of aggravating inner-ear or spinal cord haemorrhagic pathology is increased. It has a variety of other negative influences on susceptible individuals, such as bronchospasm and metabolic changes.

From Bennett and Elliott’s The Physiology and Medicine of Diving, 4th edition:

Bubbles do induce platelet accumulation, adherence, and thrombus (clot) formation. Consequently a variety of antiplatelet agents, and especially aspirin, have been extensively tried- prophylactically and therapeutically- but without success. This failure is probably because bubble-induced platelet accumulation is not as rheologically (the study of flow) important as the concurrent accumulation of polymorhonuclear leukocytes (white blood cells).

The only non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (the family of medicines that aspirin is in) for which there is a supportable role in the decompression illnesses is indomethacin, but then only in combination with prostaglandin PgI2 and heparin.

As noted above, anticoagulation with aspirin can be associated with an increased risk of bleeding. Bleeding often occurs with barotrauma. Barotrauma is the single most frequent diving injury- particularly in new divers. If you suffer a barotrauma injury to your ears, sinuses, lungs, etc., taking aspirin could potentially turn a minor event into a significant problem. Pesky knows this (because he's been told before) but he always chooses to leave this tidbit out when he's promoting his personal agenda for aspirin. Aspirin has its potential benefits, but it also has potential risk, (the risk is low, so it really is unlikely to hurt if you take aspirin and dive, but it’s even less likely that it will help), but as Pesky’s been told before, to fail to even mention potential negative effects of a course of action when you're dispensing medical advice is irresponsible.

Bottom line? Pescador775 has a lot to offer when discussing dive technique, equipment, etc. I’ve learned from his posts in other sections on the board. But when reading medical "information" from ‘ole Pesky on this board, proceed with caution. Even though he has apparently done a little reading on dive medicine issues and has learned a few big words and catch phrases, I don't believe that he truly understands just how much he really doesn't understand- yet he dispenses medical "knowledge" and advice freely and without qualification. I can only hope that one day he will come to a self-realization of his own limits and stop dispensing incomplete, incorrect, and even just downright BAD medical information and advice on this board. In the meantime, if you have the training and knowledge to follow what he says and pick out the inaccuracies, then of course feel free to read his "medical" posts with amusement. But if you don't already know the answers, I'd recommend waiting for the "corrective" posts from more knowledgeable people (that will almost surely follow) before you quote anything that he says about dive medicine.

Just my 2¢,

Bill

By the way, Pesky, aspirin and heparin work by entirely different mechanisms to affect blood clotting- a fact you seem to have completely failed to notice. And it’s coumadin (warfarin), yet another totally different type of anticoaglulant (about which I’ll bet you know as little as you do aspirin and heparin) that is sometimes used in rat poison, not heparin.

Bill,
I stand corrected, warfarin is the 'rat poison', not heparin. Yes, I mixed up the surface tension in an earlier post, long day and all that. However, the conclusion was correct, that hydration reduces bubbles. About CNS 'hits'. Since I was treated for a serious CNS hit due to nitrogen that was a natural slant for my analysis in lieu of any clear explanation from the subject header. It was not to push an agenda.

DocVikingo:
I posted this on another forum back in October of last year:

http://meeting.chestjournal.org/cgi...ts=10&RESULTFORMAT=&gca=chestmtg;124/4/148S-b

Think this may be it?

DocVikingo

Yep, that appears to be the source for both articles I read.

As I think I said the information didn't seem correct from what I know of the chemistry. But, not knowing everything, I thought it deserved a follow-up to get the facts.

Oh yes, this is a good example of what we all should do when reading something in the popular press. Sometimes the information is factual and in context and helpful. More time that not it is somewhat factual, not in context and not very helpful; as is the case with the referenced article.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom