Antioxidants and cns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Scuba Board Readers:

CNS Problems - - - :book3:

I believe that pescadore [above] is commenting on agents to reduce “the bends.” The question was directed more at neurological problems of oxygen.

In addition, hydration increases the surface tension of body fluids. This helps to keep nuclei small.

Dr Deco :doctor:

jaydee197:
thank you for the comment that was not a smart assed one as the ones above were. Thank You again..... J.D.
I suspect you are referring to my reply. While you may not like my warped sense of humor, the message is valid.

Humorless form: In the case of infrequently occuring events, it is easy to assume that a particular prophylactic measure has an effect, when in reality it has none, or perhaps even has an aggravating effect.

in fact, the question was about "CNS hits", what did you mean Jaydee197? bends or oxygen toxicity?

Hello SB Readers:

When I look at the original, first post, it does say “CNS hit” which generally means DCS. I read it to mean, “CNS oxygen hit.” The response that I gave was for antioxidant compounds to mitigate CNS oxygen toxicity.

If neurological DCS was meant, I am not aware of any drug that has been successful at reducing any type of DCS problem in humans. In studies where rats were the subjects (1970s), drugs such as heparin were found to be successful. It must be noted however, that this drug reduced the number of dead rats in a very severe decompression profile. This is not what we call protection in human dive tables, i.e., death is not an “end point” in human diving. :laghost:

Dr Deco :doctor:

miguel sanz:
in fact, the question was about "CNS hits", what did you mean Jaydee197? bends or oxygen toxicity?
In his second post, Jaydee197 says "just wondering cause i know some people who swear by them for prolonging the onset of ceasures (sic)", so appears that he is referring to seizures / CNS oxygen toxicity.

an O2 hit is what i was referring to. antioxidants are known to reduce the amount of free radials within the body. Am i wrong? Free radicals are thought to aggrevate the onset of an O2 ceasure. While antioxidants have no real side effects i figure i would start taking them as a precaution. if i run over the CNS clock which some of my dives do i figure it cant hurt and i know people who do take an antioxidant starting about a week before diving begins and quit after the diving is over(to save on costs) hope this helps to explain what i am talikng about.

While not specifically on point to the original question, I ran across a new article that is related.

The article claimed an adverse effect for aspirin users when stopping their use. The particular focus of the article was on those who take the 81mg daily dose.

It said that if this dose is stopped there is a rebound effect, similiar to that induced by decongenstants, that increased the blood's coagulation. They claimed an increased risk of thrombosis, infarction, embolisms, etc. All this due to stopping use of ASA.

The article strongly recommended that aspirin users be weened off the drug in the same way long term users of beta blockers are.

IF what they claim were the case then it seems there would be an increased risk of DCS as well.

Any credibility to the claim made by this article?

When administered to divers, aspirin does not really have much of an effect. I would guess that NO ASPIRIN would likewise have no effect.

Severe profiles with rats as the subjects will show an effect of , eg aspirin, but these are profiles with considerable death rates. :frown2:

Couldn't find the original news article. Couldn't have given you a link anyway as it was on paper. Some of us still read real magazines and books :D

But I picked up that epitome of credibility "Men's Health" and there was a similiar article in it. March 2004 issue, page 45. That article said: "...heart patients who ceased aspirin therapy were likely to suffer a major coronary event within 1 week, even if their condition seemed stable." It goes on to say: "...if you'd like to stop, talk to your doctor, who will start you on another medication to prevent the deadly rebound effect." It goes on to briefly summarize the rebound syndrome.

In the MH article they are clearly talking about someone who has has a pre-existing coronary condition. But, it raised the question about its' relationship to normal people who, after consultation with their phsician, are taking ASA as a preventative.

Back
Top Bottom