Anxiety onset: "Experienced" diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of interest does it happen around the same time into every dive?

I used to have what I can only describe as a mild panic attack at 7 minutes into every dive (like clockwork), a few seconds of closing my eyes and breathing sorted it out. I came to realise I was concentrating so much on buoyancy that I wasn't breathing properly leading to what I believe was a CO2 build up, since improving my buoyancy and taking a more 'natural' approach I've never experienced it again

I haven't timed it, but yes it could be a consistent dive time.

CO2 retention, may well play a part. I, for my sins, realise I use lung volume too much when a BCD adjustment would be more suitable, particularily if I think the buoyancy requirement is relatively shortlived :blush:

It's hard to be sure though as normally I dive with people _much_ less experienced in hours terms, so dive timings are very consistent too.

1) Drop down, wait for a minute or two for the slower folk
2) Swim above dead coral for 5 minutes
3) Drop down a bit further, see yet another clown fish
4) Wait till someone hits 100 bar
5) Start swimming back....

It's towards the end of 2 I experience the issue.

Now you could be right. Expecting step 3, I hold off on inflating, instead breathing shallower from a base point of high lung inflation.... who knows! :)

Umm.. It does sound like you need either a better dive op or a better dive site SmacA :eek:

Edit: or door three, both :p

Last edited:
I haven't timed it, but yes it could be a consistent dive time.

CO2 retention, may well play a part. I, for my sins, realise I use lung volume too much when a BCD adjustment would be more suitable, particularily if I think the buoyancy requirement is relatively shortlived :blush:

It's hard to be sure though as normally I dive with people _much_ less experienced in hours terms, so dive timings are very consistent too.

1) Drop down, wait for a minute or two for the slower folk
2) Swim above dead coral for 5 minutes
3) Drop down a bit further, see yet another clown fish
4) Wait till someone hits 100 bar
5) Start swimming back....

It's towards the end of 2 I experience the issue.

Now you could be right. Expecting step 3, I hold off on inflating, instead breathing shallower from a base point of high lung inflation.... who knows! :)

Are you sure the mild anxiety isn't just the realisation that you're paying out good money for what sounds like cr@p diving? Especially since you say you don't have a problem on more exciting dives.

Maybe try going somewhere there's actually stuff to look at? Or get into something different, that gives you a challenge: wreck diving, or whatever interests you. Mind you, if you can fix the problem by putting a little air in your BCD, that's probably a cheaper and simpler option...

When it happens to me, it's invariably solved by accelerating my breathing a bit for a short time. Since it happens more often after hustling after a DM to swim out to the drop zone or to cover a lot of ground, or after consciously slowing my breathing while taking pics, and has nothing to do with foreboding externalities, I conclude it's something like CO2 build up. Since you mentioned night dives and boat drop-ins, I figured those might be dives with lower exertion levels for you than others.

Are your breathing habits changing as you've logged more dives? I went through a period where I consciously tried to slow my breathing to extend dives, and that's when I had the highest frequency of dives with anxious moments.

I have anxious moments whenever anything pushes on or touches my chest (it is a phobia) or I cannot satisfy or feel that I cannot satisfy my air demand.

N

I would think there is some truth to the "things to see" idea. If it's a moonscape I'm looking at (the FL panhandle bays) I guess my mind does wander a little. If there's something to look at, as a shell collector my mind is focused. I wouldn't say I get nervous, but being in the water column without a reference plus maybe poor viz, can be a little eerie at times. If that's the case when I'm DMing, my mind is obviously focused on the students and instructor. When going down a line to 100' or so I don't give it a 2nd thought. I always like to mention that when swimming/snorkelling I do feel uneasy in water that's even not quite over my head!.. Go figure that. Yet not eerie at 120' diving. Everyone has their thing I guess.

I think those feelings and thoughts are normal. I feel that way sometimes when I'm diving alone or just with one buddy far from shore. It's because we're in an environment we don't belong, the things and animals we see we're not used to, and we know we're only visiting a short time an must leave. Also the sensation of weightlessness and resistance to movement, and moving through three dimensions, it's all we're not used to.

I think what helps to have something to do like take photos or interact with your buddy. Do you take a camera on your dives? The activity may help to drive those feelings away.

I should add that I believe the same factors that bring on the feelings of anxiety from being in an alien world are also the same that make us want to come back there, and make scuba diving so addictive.

Could your anxiety during a dive may be due to "life changes" such as kids or other dependents such as aging parents?

When I read this, it's as though I'd written it myself. I completely empathize with you SmacA.
It happened 3 times to me. All three times, I was at a shallow depth, the first time being in a pool, assistant teaching a clearing exercise no less!!!

I was perhaps jet lagged all three times it happened, and on the last two, I'd had a drink the night before. I plan on trying to be well rested and free of any alcohol next time. I'm hoping to stretch and to BREATHE.
The second stage reg (as with the example with the Poseidon reg) may also allow an easier breath the lower it is.

I'm going diving in three weeks and hoping to keep at it.

After all, from the arts to sports, to relaxation, to meditation, to giving birth, it's all in the breathing.

The last time I came to the surface, it was the moment I looked at my computer and saw that I could pop up, since I was only 6m under.

Most of what's been written has validity IMHO.

From an empathetic DM, I hope you don't stop, and I don't believe you've grown out of it. It's a challenge you have to overcome SAFELY!

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom