Anxiety Plus Broken Bone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brizzolatti

Contributor
Reaction score
I was going to post this in Basic Discussions but decided to put it here first for reasons which will become clear.

Sunday I was on a 3 dive boat trip. At the first site, we were ready to enter the water when someone knocked my octopus, which started to freeflow. I swung my hand round to get the octo and hit it (my hand) against the end of a horizontal post. Hurt like hell but I thought, as you do, that it would be okay in a few moments. Got octo sorted out and we entered the water. More on the hand later.

Dive was to be to a wreck at 31 metres. Surface conditions were good, water temp was 10 celsius. There was a line down to the wreck and we all began to descend. Viz was horrendous. I knew there were divers above and below me on the line but I could just see their bubbles. At around 12 metres it got very dark so I switched on my light. Viz now horrendous and dark. It got blacker and blacker. i Kept descending and eventually hit something with my knees, which was a bit of the wreck. My buddy, who had gone in front of me, was there and we began to swim. Viz was no more than about 5 feet at best, not helped by silt. Suddenly I can't see my buddy and I am aware that my breathing is very quick and shallow. I look around, see another buddy pair but not my buddy. I feel like I am panting and can hear myself seeming to gasp for breath. Decide to abort. See lights of another buddy pair a few feet away and swim towards them. Signal with my light that I have a problem but they seem to carry on away from me. I fin up to them and tap one of them on the back. Give him the signal that I have a problem and that I am ascending. I do it again and we start to ascend together from 30 metres. It feels like I am finning through treacle and making no progress. I hold onto my new buddy's arm and feel calmer. I just concentrate on breathing. The blackness turns to lighter green and eventually I can see the surface.

Once on the surface I take the reg out and look for the boat, which is about 100 metres away. I use my emergency whistle to get their attention and signal I am ok. Boat comes to pick me up.

I get back on the boat and explain that I lost my buddy so had come up. As it turned out, another guy was there who had had a problem, too, and another buddy pair who had gone down the line and decided viz was too bad so had just come back up. My buddy had come up when she lost me and then gone back down when she realised i was with someone else.

I felt ok on the boat except I was concerned at how I had reacted on losing my buddy. I felt I had panicked rather than been in control. I was spooked at how my breathing had been. However, others who had seen us come up said my ascent had been relatively controlled and I hadn't panicked to the extent of taking out the reg or anything.

I was even more spooked later in the day thinking what could have happended if I hadn't got in tow with the guy I came up with or if I had got entangled or something. All in all I put it down to anxiety due to poor viz/light at depth and a dose of narcosis. It was really scary but a good learning experience about my (in)ability in these conditions. It shocked me, too, because i have always found diving relaxing and have never experienced that kind of what i thought was anxiety.

However, back on the boat i realised that my hand was still hurting. I couldn't grip or bear weight. I sat out the next 2 dives.

Today I have been to the doctor and had my hand x-rayed and it is broken. So basically, I had a trauma to my hand which fractured it and then immediately went on a dive. Very bad idea. Had I realised, I wouldn't have dived. But what I am now wondering is how much this trauma might have contributed to my breathing issues, if it would have exacerbated narcosis?

I have dived in poor vis before to around 25 metres and have done night dives. But I haven't lost a buddy before in these conditions. It was the breathing thing that freaked me. All i could take in was the sound of my gasping. I remember looking at my computer but I couldn't make any sense of it. I could see it but I couldn't read it.That made me think I maybe got anxiety from narcosis. I have been to 30 metres before but not in cold water. And I haven't been aware of narcosis before.

Anyhow, I won't be underwater for a few weeks now with my broken hand so I will have plenty time to reflect on the dive. Lessons so far:

a) treat each dive with respect no matter what the conditions

b) things can go from being ok to potentially disastrous in seconds

c) you can't assume you'll react in the right way when things go wrong

d) practise your skills all the time

e) 100 feet feels like a million miles when you want to get to the surface

f) keep breathing

g) every dive is a learning experience no matter how hellish it is.

My dive lasted 12 minutes according to my computer. They were probably the most valuable 12 minutes of my dive experience to date.

Can't really comment on the impact of the trauma. For the rest, you do not mention planning the dive with your buddy. Cold water, low viz, low light and depth are a good cocktail for disaster if unprepared. While you reacted well to being short on breath and focused properly on your breathing, I'm not sure why you went to another pair instead of looking for your buddy for one minute or so. If you really were not comfortable, why didn't you ascend immediately?

Sorry to hear about your hand.

One major gap I noticed in your accident analysis concerns buddy skills. It occurs to me to inquire whether you ever found out whether your buddy surfaced or not, since your report is silent on that issue.

More developed buddy skills might have reduced your anxiety level considerably. Staying in contact, through lights or, if necessary, through touch contact protocols, would have allowed the dive to be aborted in a more organized and less dangerous manner. In particular, it might have allowed you to return to the upline and surface at the boat.

I'd suggest that you discuss the issues with your buddy and that you both work on buddy skills as part of your training. It'll make your future dives far less stressful and more enjoyable.

Good luck.

Arnaud:
I'm not sure why you went to another pair instead of looking for your buddy for one minute or so. If you really were not comfortable, why didn't you ascend immediately?

Hi Arnaud. I know that's what I should have done but I was just taken over by my gasping for breath and i think I went to the other pair for 'help.' A good illustration of how thinking gets confused.

Northeastwrecks - my buddy did look for me and did surface. We had talked thru procedures but like i say all i could focus on was getting outta there.

brizzolatti:
.That made me think I maybe got anxiety from narcosis. I have been to 30 metres before but not in cold water. And I haven't been aware of narcosis before.

My dive lasted 12 minutes according to my computer. They were probably the most valuable 12 minutes of my dive experience to date.

Hi Brizzo

I can identify with your experience, having had a similar one myself. For me, it was a training dive. 42 metres, temp 12 degrees C, and viz ~ 1-2 metres. Not quite as extreme as yours, but similar.

As we entered, our instructor ( who had a conceit about his finning ability) took off like a harpooned whale and we followed in a gaggle, all flat-out and struggling to keep contact with the diver ahead of us. I was fully expecting to get shaken off.

By the time we formed our circle on the bottom, I was narked off my chops. I put this down to the sh*t-load of nitrogen I'd taken on board as a result of the hard finning, and the poor visibility. I could read my gauges, but they were alphabet soup to me.

After a few minutes, things settled down.

Prior to that I'd done quite a few deep dives, but always in warm clear water. What that dive taught me was that impaired visual orientation was a powerful potentiator of narcosis.

I don't think your conduct can be critised at all. Maybe you could have slowly finned forward in the direction you last saw your buddy, with torch pointed for'ard. (He/she was probably also looking for you.)

(I pontificate thus as I sit here with a Bourbon and Coke in hand.)

But overall you did well and learnt a lot.

May your future dives be happier experiences.

Brizzolatti, the conditions, the depth and your broken hand probably have contributed to amplifying your anxiety. You certainly avoided the worst and did a slow ascent. I don't know what your experience with deep dives is, but I would suggest you practice at intermediate depth (20-25 m) as long as the conditions remain so poor and definitely agree with NEW about buddy skills. Also, you may want to take a look at your reg and make sure it is properly tuned. The Venturi valve on my SP S600 was accidentally turned off. It made the reg hard to breathe below 80 ft...

Back
Top Bottom